GB 36/42 available berths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrandWood

Hello all, stone cold noob looking to retire to a trawler. Pretty much set on a GB woodie to get started.

Really like the 32s, as I’m single and would work well, except I will have lots of friends and family aboard at times, and have a need for more berths.

I’ve searched for interior layouts on the 36/42, and can’t seem to find reviews or anything that shows the saloon settees and how they might convert into berths. Have seen that most of the woodies have a convertible starboard settee into a double. Seen that the 32 has the port convertible bunks on most of the woodies, and seen one pick were a 32 or 42 had a slide out port settee to a double.(can’t seem to find that ad now)

Did all the older 36/42 port settees open into a berth. I know many have been customized to owner preference, just wondering and hoping that the side out port settee was standard.

Any info, direction to a site would be much appreciated

Welcome aboard. Maybe look at Powerboat Guide. It usually has line drawings of the layouts, but don’t know if it shows pullout berths or not. With a woodie make sure you can get insurance and a berth to dock it. Some yards will not haul woodies anymore.

Pretty much set on a GB woodie to get started.

Really like the 32s, as I’m single and would work well, except I will have lots of friends and family aboard at times, and have a need for more berths.

I’ve searched for interior layouts on the 36/42, and can’t seem to find reviews or anything that shows the saloon settees and how they might convert into berths.

The Powerboat Guide (ours is 2020 Broker's Edition) does seem to have some layout info for the 36s and the 42s, but it's hard to tell whether it really applies to all years of a certain model. And the drawings need significant magnification and then some studying to make out what's what. Still, it'd be a start.

IMO FWIW, pull-out berths in the middle of the saloon are a pain in the...

Why wood?

-Chris

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I’m interested in a wood GB for the looks and nostalgia of um. I’m retiring, will be liveaboard single, with friends and family visitors, and i would like to learn and restore one. I will have the time to fill and enjoy piddling around with projects. Have built and restored numerous motorcycles, cars and toys over the years, even a few old lawnmowers, lol.

I am not aware anyone had sleeping in the main salon. I cannot image that either in my 36 Woodie. There needs to be some space left for awake time.

Unless you are looking at a Europa model with only the V berth and no aft cabin, then I understand.

A Grand Banks is a lot of work to maintain. Even a perfect one is up in years and requires pretty constant attention.

I would say a woodie is twice that. Unless you have a nice shop and park it next door you should think really hard.

I love wood boats, but I can not imagine the work to restore one.

There is one being restored where I am now, a very good job. Someone said it has been on the hard five years, and may launch in another eight months.

Good luck.

The 32' GB is a couple's boat. Guests will suffer trying to bunk in the salon. If you want regular company aboard your Grand Banks, start with a 36' but even that cabin configuration starts to get a little snug after a few days away from the dock.

On the subject of snug, spend a bit of time in the engine compartment of even a 36'. I suspect you'll find it workable with a single engine (even a 3208 Cat, which is wide) but too crowded for twins. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's important for the boat husband to be able to see / reach everything without having to strain or be miserable doing so.

The GB 42 is the smallest boat in that builder's lineup that can be considered really comfortable for more than a couple, IMO, although I have cruised extensively on a 36' Europa and found it user-friendly, given compatible shipmates.

I would not buy any boat specifically for guests comfort. VERY few folks are able (or wish) to cruise or hang out. For the few who are willing you can make it work. Separate cabins for imaginary guests often become filled with stuff -- so much stuff that emptying the stateroom is too much work.

For the record, friends of ours had a classic GB32 (1960's or perhaps the 70's) and their boat was terrific. The layout was lovely. I liked the aft galley/dinette. Nice boat.

Wood is lovely though a Lot of work. I'd rather play than work so opted for 'glass. And for the record there is plenty of work without dealing with wood!

Wishing you the best... J.

Thank you all for commenting, much appreciated.
As I said I’m a noob as far as trawlers and such. Zero experience on the high seas.

I’m not looking for a basket case, decent boat that needs some work. My thinking is I will have time at anchor, so I could buy a boat that needs work at a reasonable number, not going all in, and have a bit of meat on the bone when done, not upside down if something happens and have to sell the boat. I like working on stuff, and bring a worn boat back to looking and operating real nice is something I’m interested in, along with cruising, fishing, and like to try prawn traps.

Maybe a wood boat is outta my league, seems most anything ya want to learn how to do is on YouTube. Mechanical, electrical, plumbing, woodworking, I can do, I could strip a hull, I can paint a hull, and imagine I could replace planks, and stuff/ caulk as well. Time consuming, but not that technical.

Main reason for joining the forum is to get feedback on what I’m thinking and what is gonna work well for me.

Maybe a wood boat is outta my league, seems most anything ya want to learn how to do is on YouTube. Mechanical, electrical, plumbing, woodworking, I can do, I could strip a hull, I can paint a hull, and imagine I could replace planks, and stuff/ caulk as well. Time consuming, but not that technical.

Like Janice said, you'll be doing all that work -- except maybe the planks -- on a GRP boat too.

-Chris

I am not aware anyone had sleeping in the main salon. I cannot image that either in my 36 Woodie. There needs to be some space left for awake time.

Unless you are looking at a Europa model with only the V berth and no aft cabin, then I understand.

The GB32 I’ve seen two configurations for the port side settee, one the backrest pulls up to make 2 single berths, and the other the bottom pulls out and converts to a double. Then the starboard converts to a double, with the v berth the boat will sleep 6 in berths.

The GB36 I’ve seen pics of the port side settee converting to a double as well, pulling the bottom out. So you could get 8 people in berths if the starboard settee converts as well.

In both examples, the boat would be crowded as all get out, but would work well enough for weekend trips with nieces and nephews. Have a gag of um, lol.

As Ranger above stated, even with a FRP (fiberglass) hull, you'll have your fill of wood work to practice on with a Grand Banks. Some cautions on Grand Banks:

• If the fuel tanks haven't leaked, and been replaced, they'll need replacing on your watch. Lots of work if you do it yourself, you may get off as cheaply as $20k. If someone else does the work, budget $40k.
  • Windows: Grand Banks windows tend to let water and light through with equal ease at some point in their lives. If yours haven't been replaced, you will be doing it on your watch. No idea of cost.
  • Decks: If the teak decks haven't leaked and been removed, you'll be doing it on your watch. Figure $20k to $40k if someone else does it. $5k to $10k if you do it yourself.
  • Electrical: Grand Banks electrical from the 70's and 80's was hit or miss. Mostly miss in my opinion. Substantial upgrading is required, new distribution panels, battery cable runs, switches, etc. If it hasn't already been done, you'll be doing it on your dime. Cost . . . . a LOT!
The biggest challenge on this era boat is to do more than just keep abreast of needed work, but to actually improve the boat along the way. Many people fail at this, and merely slow the rate of decay/decline in the overall boat and boat systems.

You haven't stated where you wish to berth this future boat, or what your mechanical/boating skills are. If a wood boat, the North East, or North West are more knowledgeable on wooden boats. Also a greater likelihood of finding one in better condition. Warm water is harsh on wooden boats.

On size, I would recommend 36' minimum. Small enough to easily handle and get used to, even if you have no experience, but large enough for guests.

Single vs twin. Single in good mechanical condition beats a twin hands down IMHO. LOTS more room in the engine compartment to get around and maintain stuff. Bow thruster on a single is a plus, but not a must.

Brand: May I suggest a Mainship, CHB, Marine Trader, or higher end ($$) Defever as alternatives to a Grand Banks?

Last edited:
My thinking is I will have time at anchor, so I could buy a boat that needs work at a reasonable number, not going all in, and have a bit of meat on the bone when done, not upside down if something happens and have to sell the boat.
Just one comment. There are some maintenance items that I would not do at anchor, as once you start disassembling - and thus, breaking - stuff, and need to run for a spare part, being at anchor becomes a pain, and may leave you with a boat you can't move until the part is in. There are some things I only do when in port and when I can allow to not move the boat until a part shows up in the mail....

I've owned a 36CL single for five years and have cruised a fair amount in her. I've been in a few 32's and the space is considerably different. The 36CL has a much better layout for any guests.

It also depends on how tall/big you are, I'm 6'2" and the 36 is a bit tight for me but very doable for cruising. Id' not be happy as a liveaboard, just too small. 42 would be the smallest I'd want to be on full time.

Fuel tanks and decks are the big two problems, I'm repairing the decks on my 36 and replacing the decks on my 49 (36 is being sold). Replacement is very expensive. Recaulking is laborious but not difficult other than the on your knees bent over for a few hours at a time. Look for the thickest decks you can find. Stanchion bases and tank fills will show the original deck thickness.

I'd avoid a woodie, insurance will be the killer. You'll be stuck with expensive options only whereas a glass boat will be relatively easy to get. I'll second slowgoesit on the selection of a single. Wish my 49 was a single with a big hydraulic bow thruster. Half the amount of stuff to go wrong.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I'd avoid a woodie, insurance will be the killer. You'll be stuck with expensive options only whereas a glass boat will be relatively easy to get. I'll second slowgoesit on the selection of a single. Wish my 49 was a single with a big hydraulic bow thruster. Half the amount of stuff to go wrong.
Good Luck

And toss in a CPP for that single, and you've got it made! It solves the anemic issues with a hydraulic thruster at docking/maneuvering speeds!:thumb:

And toss in a CPP for that single, and you've got it made! It solves the anemic issues with a hydraulic thruster at docking/maneuvering speeds!:thumb:

Not familiar with the CPP term, what’s that?

While I like the layout of the Europa style 32, it is not as easy to get from the flybridge to the deck on the 32 as it is on the classic 36.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Trawler Forum mobile app

My 73 36 HC has a custom queen berth in the stern cabin on the STB side and a counter and cabinet on the port side. Very Nice. I like it better than the two twins on my 42. I would extend one of the twins on the 42 like was done on the 36 but I can't because the port one would interfere with walkway and the sbd one with the head entrance. This worked on the 36 because the head entrance was at the foot of the steps opposite the closet and not facing the aft of the aft cabin like on the 42

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom