GB 32 Water Tank Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SailorGoneBad

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
I took the boat out for a spin today and my fresh water tank was empty. I figured I had just used it up. No such luck. When I got back to the dock and tried to fill it the water ended up in the bilge. There seems to be a large leak on the aft side (where I can't see it). Any knowledge or experience solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I am pretty sure this is the original stainless steel tank, it is positioned just aft of the generator between the two (recently replaced aluminum fuel tanks)

Worst case I think I could remove the generator and then remove and replace tank then re-install generator. But I could really use a cheaper easier idea.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20191029_190437.jpg
    20191029_190437.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 76
I feel for you. We have had tank issues this year both fuel and water. I’m still not happy with my water tank fix .
If you can go about it the way you described and not have to cut any deck up that’s what I would do. In hindsight I wish I would have cut my aft deck up replaced the tanks the right way and be done with it .
I wound up reducing the size of my water tank to fit through a hatch and now I don’t have 1/2 the water capacity as before . After that I had a couple fuel tanks go out . Now I just about have to cut my deck apart and repair it right .
Think it through . Sometimes it sounds like a lot of work to pull generator and tank but in reality it’s probably not as bad as you think .
Good luck with project and keep us posted.

I would pull the genset and do it right. I am pulling one of my engines starting tomorrow to replace one of my fuel tanks, and it isn’t leaking yet but it is 32 years old. I wish I only had to pull a genset instead of 1400 pounds of engine and transmission.

I have not taken measurements yet so I am not sure it will come out without pulling the engine. The thing looks huge. Might have to cut it apart. Then I would end up with a smaller tank.

Or a couple of smaller tanks to come close to the original tankage.

I have not taken measurements yet so I am not sure it will come out without pulling the engine. The thing looks huge. Might have to cut it apart. Then I would end up with a smaller tank.

Cut it up, haul it out and replace with 2 more convenient and cross connect them. I have seen it done with fuel tanks.

I think that is the plan. The existing tank is about 100 gallons. I think I could squeeze two 40 gallon tanks in over the engine. Worst part (I hope) will be removing and re-installing the genset. Cutting out the existing tank should not be too bad. The vacu-flush is pretty miserly with water and I don't need to shower every day.

Have you considered trying to get an idea of where the leak actually is, forward, aft, upper, lower, etc. You could put towels under the tank and sort of figure where it leaks. Then, cut a big access hole in the front and literally get halfway inside the tank to inspect and repair. maybe even get a welder to help. There are some pretty good "patch" products available which would probably work well from the inside.

pete

I like the way you think. I would need to pull the genset anyway. No harm in taking a look before cutting it up the rest of the way. I have a pretty good idea of where the leak is. Based on where and when the water comes out the leak is in the aft starboard lower corner. I wonder if I could get a bladder that I could fit in through that large access hole?

If it is a stainless steel tank and the leak is accessible (a seam or such) a welder might be cheaper than pulling the tank out. Either from the inside through a hatch, or outside, if accessible. Stainless steel has to be cleaned well before you can weld it successfully. If it was sitting on a flat surface with no air, crevice corrosion could have eaten a hole in the bottom of the tank...

Or a couple of smaller tanks to come close to the original tankage.

True statement - I am in the process of having two 200g steel saddle tanks replaced with four 100g fiberglass tanks (two each side). Happily, capacity loss is much less than I expected - around 5-gallons per side.

Just a quick thought. Are you positive your tank is leaking? Have you checked the hose to tank connection? And the supply line to your fresh-water pump. Does your aft bilge pump activate often? Thinking in writing!

What year is your GB 32? On my 1990 version, the 100 gal. water tank is most easily accessible from the big "back porch" lazzerette. Not so on yours?
Oldersalt

IF it is the tank leaking and you try to repair it it will probably start leaking somewhere else in the near future. Usually when they start leaking in one spot other spots are not far behind. So if it was me and I had determined that the tank is actually leaking, I would just replace it. I would hate to pull the genset and do all the work to try and fix it only to have it start leaking in another place next year and have to pull the genset again...

I could access it from "back porch" by cutting through the bulkhead. I guess I assumed that was structural maybe it's not. If I could cut through there it would be easier than removing the genset. I'll take a look at it again tomorrow. Thanks for the thought. If I can do it that way it would also make it easier to install the new tank(s).

Ok. So it turns out it was a two-problem problem. There was a leak but not in the tank.
The leak was at a junction in a line near the hot water heater. The other part of the problem is a leak in the fill line. That second problem has not been solved yet but it will not involve replacing the tank. I filled the tank from the inspection port with no problem. My wife would like you all to know that it was on the strength of her deductive reasoning that we arrived at this happy resolution.

Ok. So it turns out it was a two-problem problem. There was a leak but not in the tank.
The leak was at a junction in a line near the hot water heater. The other part of the problem is a leak in the fill line. That second problem has not been solved yet but it will not involve replacing the tank. I filled the tank from the inspection port with no problem. My wife would like you all to know that it was on the strength of her deductive reasoning that we arrived at this happy resolution.

Thank Mrs Sherlock. She saved you a lot of money for her to spend.

A good example of the KISS principle. Glad you were able to get it fixed without surgery.

I had a fresh water leak on my 42 GB Classic... It was a tiny split in the (looks like) white CPVC lines coming forward from the tanks. Took me forever to figure out exactly where it was.. It was under the aft shower stall (I could not get within 5 feet of the leak area to touch it). In the end, I got a ten foot section of CPVC pipe. I sawed the old pipe in the engine room and in the aft cabin where I could get to the pipe. Fed the new section of pipe in from the engine room and glued it in... Problem solves

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom