Old 06-15-2021, 08:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Campbell River
Vessel Model: 1967 Grand Banks 32 Sedan
GB 32 How to lift engine to change mounts

Has anyone done this with the GB 32, and as a two part question to complicate matters, the front left alternator bracket that holds the SB front mount is broken!!
Marinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Fork lift.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Corona
Vessel Name: SCRAMBLER
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32 #536
I took off the head first before lifting the motor out to reduce the weight I also temporarily reinforced the floor.
Busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busterbrown View Post
I took off the head first before lifting the motor out to reduce the weight I also temporarily reinforced the floor.
Just curious: Do you really have to lift the engine "out"? to replace the mounts?
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Probably not out of the engine room, but up off the motor mounts. I made a crane to pull my engines. But I was lifting them up and out of the ER. Put some 2x4s from the bottom of the deck to the stringers. Then build an A frame on each side of the engine with some kind of beam between the A frames and use a chain fall or large come along.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Unless room is a primary problem the engine will only have to come up about two inches. front first then the rear, without the tranny. Just a beam over the floor should do it. You don't say which engine you have but a common six cylinder diesel will only about 900 pounds.The same as three or four big guys standing on the floor.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the ideas so far!

The problem we are having is the rear mounts can be replaced just by lifting the engine with a sling and 4x4's. You only need about two inches and then you can just unbolt the bracket from the motor and change the mount.

But...

The front mounts are another issue. The front bracket for the mount is cracked in half and I have a replacement to install, so we cant use the bracket to lift.

The only lift point on the engine front end is a lift ring , which on our 32 is positioned under the floor and not lined up with the engine room hatch, so we can't lift there. Its on left front in the attached picture

We thought about jacking from the keel up somehow but there is a drain pan suspended from the stringers under the engine and it doesn't touch the keel its just hanging.

Still scratching my head, my latest thought is I may have to sacrifice the under engine pan to get to the keel and put an inflatable bag lift or something in there?

How does one replace get the engine out of these boats? That may be a clue. I imagine they are done in pieces.

I have removed our generator and two 8d batteries out of this boat using a block and tackle and a sturdy stepladder spanning the hole but those were both only about a 200 lb lift.

Today I built a criss crossed 4x4 lift point spanning the gap to lift the rear, I'll add photos later for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
P1190364 copy.jpg   IMG_4349.jpg  
Old 06-15-2021, 10:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Corona
Vessel Name: SCRAMBLER
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32 #536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Just curious: Do you really have to lift the engine "out"? to replace the mounts?
I missed the end of the question (mounts) and assumed the engine was coming out of the boat for some other reason hopefully someone else has replaced the mounts and can share a easy lift procedure.
Busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

What about putting a strap or sling around the engine and using a come along or chain fall to lift the sling? A good 2” nylon strap should lift the front of the engine.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:13 PM   #10
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
What about putting a strap or sling around the engine and using a come along or chain fall to lift the sling? A good 2” nylon strap should lift the front of the engine.

I was thinking the same thing, positioned aft of the mounts and where you can lift from a beam spanning the hatch opening.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Both good ideas, do you think the oil pan can take the lift weight? Engine weight is around 1000 lbs, so 500 to lift front end ?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Probably fine if you spread the weight out with a piece of padded plywood. Or maybe go in front of the pan?
Old 06-16-2021, 01:48 AM   #13
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
Mine, on a Perkins 6.354, was done by blocking under it with scrap wood and then supporting/lifting that corner up by using a hydraulic ram with a spreader attachment to lift/push/pry/spread the engine-side bracket off of the blocking. Basically the shaft was unbolted at the hub and wiggled a bit back, the top nuts were removed from the pair of mounts, the corner we were working on was slightly lifted, the mount and stringer bracket were removed, the stringer bracket was cleaned up and reinstalled with new bolts, the new mount was reinstalled, the corner of the engine was lowered, the nuts were put back on the top of the mounts, and the shaft hub posted back up-- and it was all done in /minutes/.

The thin top spreader "blade" easily got under the engine side bracket even with the motor mount still in place.

The hydraulic ram kits with spreader attachment seem to sell for $125 - $250 for 4ton - 10ton kits at places such as Amazon, Harbor Freight, and Home Depot. The kit we used was a 10 ton from Harbpr Freight, but a 4 ton would seemingly have been fine. Most of the weight was actually shifted to the other pair of mounts, not lifted.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #14
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
That looks like a F.L. 120. The pan is cast aluminum. Very stout. It can handle a strap or sling under it. Don't overthink the project, it should be pretty simple and straightforward.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes this is a Lehman 120, forgot to mention that. Thanks for more ideas, back to the boat today and will let you know how we make out.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #16
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Instead of thinking fore and aft. Think starboard, port. Disconnect the shaft and slide it back an inch. Unbolt starboard mounts and use wedges and a Jack to lift the starboard side of the engine. Replace both mounts, then move on to the port side.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I can't see the lifting ring in your picture, but it looks like there is some clearance below the saloon floor structure. You could try a chain from the lifting ring at the front of the engine to an attachment at the stern end of the engine, then leaving the rear mounts looses but still attached, lift from the middle of the chain. That may get the front high enough to change the mounts. If not, release the rear mounts and lift off all four mounts, swing the engine out of the way.
When I lifted my own, I had enough clearance from the top of the valve cover to go straight up till clear of the mounts, then swing till clear in the opening, then up.
More pictures please, if you don't at first succeed.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #18

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Waves of Grace
Vessel Model: Universal 36
Here is how I replaced the engine mounts on my FL120.
  1. Disconnect the prop shaft from the transmission.
  2. Raise the engine up to the top of the current engine mounts by backing off the top nut and raising the lower nut.
  3. Select the first engine mount you want to replace. Remove the top nut on the mount, then lower the bottom nut until there is space. The engine will balance on the three remaining mounts.
  4. Undo the bolts on the brackets attached to the engine and remove the bracket, this allows you to then remove the old engine mount. I had sprayed all my fasteners down with a penetrating oil and working the fasteners for a week before hand so they all moved easily, and the mounts came out of the brackets quite nicely.
  5. Clean the bracket up as required, check the bolts and then reverse the process to install the new engine mount with the bracket. Then do the other three.
  6. Do an initial engine alignment, then run the boat and check it again after a dozen or so hours.

Worked like a charm.
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

As I was sitting down to type this out I see Hobbystuff has posted the exact procedure we used today and it worked like a charm. It even made changing our front left cracked bracket a breeze!

All you have to do is crank up the three mounts you are not changing and then change them one by one. No stress and it all can be done in a couple of hours without any heavy lifting.

I would like to acknowledge Brian at American Diesel for all the excellent phone support this last week as I struggled to find mounts that would replace the ailing DF-100. The DF-100 will fit but are under rated and in the end we managed to use R&D mounts Part Number 800-036.

The only issue we had is that the front right mount closest to the helm has to have the adjustment bolt shortened to match the existing mount you are removing or when you lower the engine it will bind on the front corner of the block. The new mounts all have longer adjustment bolts we found.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinex View Post
The only issue we had is that the front right mount closest to the helm has to have the adjustment bolt shortened to match the existing mount you are removing or when you lower the engine it will bind on the front corner of the block. The new mounts all have longer adjustment bolts we found.
Were you fortunate enough to discover this BEFORE things were precariously balanced? Or worse, installed and trying to lower?