Old 02-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #1

City: Looking for new home
What Paint to use for Interior Cabin

When I purchased my Grand Banks, the interior cabin had been painted with a latex paint. It has not adhered well and is flaking off.

No choice but to scrape and remove all the latex. Any ideas on the best paint to use when I repaint?
Thanks
Barney
Wbarnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Most of our interior walls are painted. We use Kilz primer and recently used Behr's Premium Plus but I think any quality interior latex will work. We’ve always washed the walls with TSP first to make sure they’re clean for good adhesion.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I used Interlux Briteside on a previous boat. I sprayed it with a HVPL sprayer. It came out beautifully and was very durable. It was more work, but I didn’t want to have to redo it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Guru

City: Boston Area
LarryM nailed it. A good primer is the key.....and don't paint when temp is too low or humidity too high.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #5

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Prep is everything - 10%

That being said don't forget about oil based rustoleum.

It's very durable, UV stable, easy to apply and CHEAP!

I've painted whole boats with it(will spray with a cheap airgun) and it hold up very very well(and sticks like glue). Takes awhile to cure though.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
We used Pettit Shipendec enamel (gloss white). As another poster stated, prep is everything. I followed the instructions verbatim including purchasing Pettit prep products. I am very pleased with the paint--it is hard and durable stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
user6121_pic1660_1413034474.jpg  
Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi,
We painted the interior of our GB36 with Sherwin Williams interior satin oil paint. We used Medici Ivory as a color which brightened up the interior over the old Grand Banks beige. 2 coats lasted 10 years with touch ups for dings.
Good luck
Roger
roger howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
On a boat, latex makes a great foundation for mold and mildew. It's porous, offers no real protection to wood because water and dampness can go right thru. If you have to use it, add some chlorine to the paint or a anti mold/mildew product like MX-3. I use MX-3 in all my oil and solvent based paints and in stains and varnishes. In epoxies, I add it to an oil based varnish as a top coat. (But I'm in the PNW) It's clear and lasts 3 years+. CFI Products - Connell Family Inc.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
Guru

City: gulf coast
Shellac based primer is IMO the best for hiding stains and smells. Stains just dont bled through it as they do with Kilz
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #10
Guru

City: Boston Area
The original Kilz is 50 years old. Paint technology and chemistry has come a long way since then. Kilz has a dozen different types of primer now, some general purpose, some with specialized purposes. They make a "Kitchen and Bath" primer that is for high humidity areas, preventing mildew, and promoting adhesion. I have not used this particular primer, but in this application, it sounds perfect. I have used many of their other primers and think highly of them. ( except the Original.....)

Also, in this application, I'd consider an "interior/exterior" paint instead of an exclusively "interior". Exterior paint is more mildew and moisture resistant and can withstand temperature extremes and sunlight better. However, it tends to offgas for a considerably longer time, and isn't good for an enclosed space for that reason. Int/Ext is a compromise between the two. You get the greater durability without the off gassing. 1 Caveat: If you have kids who will be writing on the walls or you find yourself scrubbing walls often, go with the interior.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin paint