Docking a GB 32 Single Handed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SailorGoneBad

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
Newbie question. Is it possible to reach the steering wheel and throttle / shifter through the window so that so you can be on deck to grab a line as you come up to dock? I know for many of you the GB32 is a small boat; for me it seems huge and about 8000 pounds heavier and two feet wider than what I am used to.

I have my eyes on a nice one I would like buy but apprehensive about docking it. Any insights would be appreciated.

Greetings,
Mr. SGB. With all due respect, I think you're over analyzing the situation. A few hours practice and you'll be much more confident. Personally, I would stay behind the wheel. Operating controls from a less than familiar position is a recipe for mistakes IMO.

My BIL backs his boat (44' Ocean Sport Fish) standing on the FB facing aft and operating the controls behind his back. Quite impressive but NOT doable for me. YMMV.

I have a GB 32 and it's certainly possible to learn how to dock it even when solo. Rule 1....never approach a dock faster than you want to hit it. Rule 2. Plan in advance, have all docklines in place, and all fenders. Rule 3. Learn about "backing and filling," which is how to manuever a single engine boat without any thrusters. Rule 4. Goosing the throttle to do a quick turn is ok if you have practiced in advance and learned how to control it. Rule 5--the most important...NOBODY WAS BORN KNOWING HOW TO DO THIS STUFF. IF ALL THOSE OTHERS LEARNED HOW TO DO IT, SO CAN YOU!

By the way, the GB is a great boat! You will really enjoy it.

Light winds and calm seas
Oldersalt

The sudden need to grab a line suggests a habit of the boat being in significant motion as it approaches the docking position.

That works when the boat is light enough to wrangle...

Try docking your smaller boat in a way that it is comes to a stop and sits in the docking position by itself, no wrangling required.

Short answer: No.
Pick a day with little wind. Go out and pick a buoy. Practice approaching it to a dead stop from all angles. Figure out how to make prop walk work for you. From then on it's keeping speed down and aborting if isn't lining up.
(and price bow thrusters)

Thanks guys. I understand that I need the boat to come to a complete stop. I can (and sometimes do) "wrangle" my current boat but I could not wrangle anything heavier. Will this boat, with a longer keel and more mass, sorta stay put long enough to get from the helm to the windward dock line or do I need to rest the boat on the leeward pilings. On my current boat I do not have much time between when she stops and when the wind has its way with her.

Blasphemy. even worse than bow thrusters

You will have more control if you back down (where possible) with a single screw. I can back my single screw GB 36 into about any place pretty confidently. Hard rudder to port or starboard and then just short kick in forward. NO THROTTLE! You will learn to wiggle the stern right where you want it. Called “back and fill” Much easier then forward motion.

Lots of info and little I agree with, for everyone in all situations....so pick advice carefully.

Sorry I can't answer the real question about the window.... But ....having driven plenty of boats from outside, as long as you can reach the controls,vsure it can be done once you get to that level.

Attachments

• EZDocker-copy.jpg
    EZDocker-copy.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 169
On our previous boat a Great Lakes 33 I had a window beside the lower helm but never felt a need to use it while docking. What I did find useful was when locking thru, I could reach in and start the engine before letting go and pushing off the lock wall when exiting.

Does the GB32 not have a helm door? Even if there is only a window, provided you can reach the levers, you should be able to operate them standing outside the cabin reaching in. I stand outside, facing backwards,and mess with the twin gear levers through the open door. Works most of the time.

It all comes down to practice. When we first started I hired a captain to teach me docking w/o thruster, we started a on a day with no wind and slack tide then picked other days that were more challenging. We get a good tide running right past the docks so it can be a bear when it runs and we have a north wind. He was just there to guide me and never took control. It helped a bunch, I am not a pro but getting better w practice.

I wouldn’t ever disembark without a line securing the boat with wind or current working against you.
The best way depends on your dock design.

Whenever the wind is blowing the boat off the dock I rely heavily on a spring line. You just need to practice enough to get the cockpit close enough to the end dock cleat to loop the spring line. Then put boat back in fwd gear at idle and take up the tension with the helm wheel turned hard away from the dock.

With tension on the spring line, the boat will suck up tp the dock allowing you to casually disembark and tie off the other lines while idling in gear. If the wind is really blowing hard you may need to apply slightly more revs to force the boat right to the dock. Btw - the spring line has to be the right length to stop you in the right spot. Preparation is the key.

As usual, I agree with PSN. Lots of anecdotal, experience based advice, but little that will apply to your specific boat.

Practice, practice, success.

Oh, a friend's GB 36 with only one door, was by the wheel.

I wouldn’t ever disembark without a line securing the boat with wind or current working against you.
The best way depends on your dock design.

Whenever the wind is blowing the boat off the dock I rely heavily on a spring line. You just need to practice enough to get the cockpit close enough to the end dock cleat to loop the spring line. Then put boat back in fwd gear at idle and take up the tension with the helm wheel turned hard away from the dock.

With tension on the spring line, the boat will suck up tp the dock allowing you to casually disembark and tie off the other lines while idling in gear. If the wind is really blowing hard you may need to apply slightly more revs to force the boat right to the dock. Btw - the spring line has to be the right length to stop you in the right spot. Preparation is the key.

Great advise. If you can get a line from your bow quarter aft to a cleat on the dock, it will spring you in, along side the dock with a little forward power. I use this method a lot in my home slip.:thumb:

Personally, I would not reach through a window to control throttles. Too many chances for things to go wrong. One slip and things go from bad to exponentially worse. Like bumping the wrong throttle due to confusion over left/right orientation, or over-correcting, or sudden movement causing you to lose footing... and then there's a boat under power without anyone at the controls.

There are options out there to add wireless controls. Though if you're wandering into that price territory I'd think adding thruster(s) would likewise be a good choice. Might be overkill for a 32 though.

Depends on the docking scenario, but when there's enough room I've used a line off the bow with a bowline loop. Drop that line over a cleat as you're coming in and then use that to gently power the stern over.

The trick is having a plan already in your head if you miss that cleat. Which is true for any docking situation. For me the most valuable learning experience was coming to understand when the boat was going to get into situations I couldn't easily get out of. As in, too far over to allow enough room for a turning. Knowing that helps determine when you're better off stopping the effort and trying again.

That and getting a feel for just how much power is really necessary to maintain good control. Slow doesn't help you if the winds or currents start pushing you around. Our old boat was like that, it would wander too much if I tried having it just 'in gear'. I had to give it a bit more throttle. Then it'd find a more stable course (powerboat, with little keel). I likewise had to learn just how much distance and amount of reverse I'd have to use to pull it to a stop. Once I figured that out docking was a LOT less stressful.

Learn about "backing and filling," which is how to manuever a single engine boat without any thrusters....NOBODY WAS BORN KNOWING HOW TO DO THIS STUFF. IF ALL THOSE OTHERS LEARNED HOW TO DO IT, SO CAN YOU!

Although this is not a GB32,it is a single engine 32! Though it does have a bow thruster, I've put it in the slip many times by just putting the helm hard over (port or starboard) and "backing & filling."

Attachments

• IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 110
I mostly solo an 83' boat (because I'm such a people person). And my first boat was 65'. As others point out, find a captain to oversee your docking while learning, practice in a safe place, be prepared with lines out - fenders over, approach slowly-dead slow, understand you can't achieve much with human power on the lines. Learn how spring lines work.

Be smart about the wind and current. Don't be in a hurry. In a tidal environment you may need to wait for slack water. If I need slack water, I alter my cruising speed to arrive at the right time or anchor to wait.

Recognize sometimes it is just not safe to dock.

I broke a hand last winter on an uninhabited Island in the Bahamas and had to wait for a weather window to return home to deal with it. We went to the Bahamas instead of Florida in November because our dock was wiped out by a hurricane in Sept. Supposedly it was to be ready feb 1. When we arrived feb 8, it wasn’t ( it’s a Miami thing over promise and under deliver) but we needed to dock anyway. A little bit stressful, but it was all done for real with only one hand. Yes my wife was aboard, but she knows better than to assist unless we both communicate to do so, in this case I didn’t ask her to do anything other than stand by. You really should have no problem docking most boats by yourself if you can pre plan and prepare the boat in advance for docking. All you really need to start is one single line ashore. If you use the tides and winds it’s like having an extra set of hands. If you don’t, your gonna want some help.

You could always buy a 32-34 ft boat with a helm door.

Last edited:
You could always buy a 32-34 ft boat with a helm door.

I've a 35-footer with pilothouse doors at deck level both port and starboard. :dance: Yet to fail docking single-handed being equipped with mid-hull (close to pilothouse doors) docking lines.

Wow. I’ve failed many times and have had to abort the attempt. When a 20 or 30 knot wind is blowing the boat off the dock into a neighboring boat the approach has to be perfect. Sometimes I get it on the 3rd try. Sometimes I don’t even try. I anchor and wait for better conditions.

I was new to a single engine, this video really helped.
I have a bow thruster but try not to use--nice when the wind or current is fighting you.

Greg

oldsalt had the best advice. I just returned from single handing the loop in my GB32.

I never left the helm. Practice until you can put the boat anywhere you want at stop. Then leave the helm to grab the pre-rigged lines. I've done hundreds of docks and locks in the GB with no thrusters. just go slow.

Why not add a simple aft set of controls? Throttle and gear shift cables can usually be piggy backed on engine/gear without issue. An additional helm station can be added with Manual Hydraulic pump or Jog lever off auto pilot. I'm amazed that this isn't done on more boats. Slow Hand (Teds boat) has this setup,as do most downeast tuna boats. Simple, useful and will remove much drama for single handing and Lock work for a couple. A spring line is your best friend...

Back
Top Bottom