Dinghy Motor Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hi Ho

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hi Ho
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
I have a 32 ft Grand Banks that I'm trying to find the ideal place to store it. I would be interested in hearing where you are storing yours and any pictures you might have. Thanks.

Steve

Our current boat has a bracket on the transom to store the O/B. We have a small crane to lift it on and off the dinghy and over to the storage bracket. It works but a Seawise dinghy davit system it waaay better. We put one on a previous boat and loved it. You just snap the dinghy into the brackets on the platform. Loosen a bolt on the motor bracket and clip the winch cable on to the motor bracket. Then crank on the winch and the dinghy tilts up and the motor bracket latches into the winch stand. Very quick and easy. We could launch the dinghy in about 1 minute and recover it in about 2 minutes. Loved it but it is a bit pricey. They have a website with some videos on it. No affiliation just a happy customer.

Our current boat has a bracket on the transom to store the O/B. We have a small crane to lift it on and off the dinghy and over to the storage bracket. It works but a Seawise dinghy davit system it waaay better. We put one on a previous boat and loved it. You just snap the dinghy into the brackets on the platform. Loosen a bolt on the motor bracket and clip the winch cable on to the motor bracket. Then crank on the winch and the dinghy tilts up and the motor bracket latches into the winch stand. Very quick and easy. We could launch the dinghy in about 1 minute and recover it in about 2 minutes. Loved it but it is a bit pricey. They have a website with some videos on it. No affiliation just a happy customer.

I've seen those and they look extremely inviting. If you don't mind me asking, about how much pricey are they...ballpark? Hopefully not "if you have to ask then you can't afford it" pricey....

They are very nice. We bought one back in about 2005 and if I remember correctly it was about $4K. But don’t hold me to that price, I could be way off.

They are very nice. We bought one back in about 2005 and if I remember correctly it was about $4K. But don’t hold me to that price, I could be way off.

So in today's $$$ somewhere in the $6K-$6.5 range...give or take $1,000 or so depending on bells and whistles and size of dinghy. I guess thats about what I expected. If anything maybe a little less. Thanks.

I've seen those on some trawlers and look very convenient. I have an air floor dinghy and not sure I want to leave the motor on the dinghy. I think I prefer to store off the the dink but where? I don't have a problem with storing the dinghy on the swim platform but not with the motor on it for the longer runs with questionable weather.

I've been boat shopping and the 32 is one of my contenders. So I don't own one but have looked at quite a few. I see many with a bracket that puts the outboard "behind" the ladder to the flybridge. These are smaller motors (i.e. not 100+# beasts). But if you have an air floor dinghy you may have a smaller motor.

Seawise davits:

Pay attention to the motor:

Maybe I read too much into the "bracket" request (thinking simple/inexpensive). If that's not the case, then the Seawise davits do look really slick (but something like $5k). I wouldn't kick one off my transom.

I'm 72 and I don't want to be mucking around with a motor so I got Seawise davits. Yes they are pricey but the system is a no brainer to operate and the motor is not an issue.

Frosty
I thought the location just behind the fly bridge ladder was perfect , but my 3.5 hp 4 stroke is just an inch to wide to fit there. I have looked at putting a bracket so I can store it off the transom on the swim platform and other locations in the cockpit but have yet to feel comfortable with the location.

Frosty
I thought the location just behind the fly bridge ladder was perfect , but my 3.5 hp 4 stroke is just an inch to wide to fit there.

Well nuts! I have seen other boats where people put a fixed bracket on the outside of the transom (there are ones you can buy pre-made); but not sure I'd do that on a lovely GB transom. Likewise I have seen blocks of wood or Starboard fitted around stainless rail, but you don't have those.

I have seen blocks of wood (sort of like a knee) across the corner of the teak transom rails for other things (fishing gear); but not sure how that would work for an outboard.

Might be easier to trade for a motor that would fit behind the ladder? I know that sounds kind of crazy, but I might do that just because it's such a tidy solution. Out of the way, not modifying any of your nice Grand Banks teak or bronze.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom