Damper Plate Lehman 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinex

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1967 Grand Banks 32 Sedan
I plan on inspecting our damper plate next haul out and would like to have a spare ready to install. The parts place who can get one today asked me for diameter and number of splines?

Not information I can get without diassembly! Does anyone know this info? Its mated to a velvet drive AS3-71CR 2.1:1 gearbox. The Lehman 120 is from the mid 70’s and has 3-4000 hours on the gear

Thanks for any help

Call Brian at American Diesel. He may know what you need. 804-435-3107.

You have to know your model (at least make) transmission for the spline match.

Not sure if.... say.... ALL Borg Warners have the same match.

Thanks everyone for your assistance, I think we have a plan now!

I have a 1974 GB32 with the Lehman 120hp and the AS3-71C Velvet Drive. Does anyone know the model number of the replacement Drive Damper Plate?

Replace the damper plate if you pull the transmission off. It's an inexpensive wear item. Keep the old one as a spare if you must but if it goes you will be towed in to a yard that can have a new one overnighted in.

Thanks. I've ordered the Damper Plate and a Stage 6 kit also. Rebuild is no doubt overdue.

Hi Marinex,
Ours blew apart a couple of years ago and bought one at Industrial Engines on Annacis Isl.
https://industrialengines.ca/contact
I cannot remember the guy's name but they are a good "local" source for Lehman stuff
Brian

Hi Marinex,
Ours blew apart a couple of years ago and bought one at Industrial Engines on Annacis Isl.
https://industrialengines.ca/contact
I cannot remember the guy's name but they are a good "local" source for Lehman stuff
Brian

Before you recommend Industrial Engines you should check with them as they were less than interested during and after their move to the new location. So less interested I deleted their contact info. Yes, they were the local go to before.

Oh, when did they move? ...and where to? All I can say is that I was happy with them a couple of years ago when I bought the pressure plate.

I ordered the DA107 13.25 inch damper plate. When we took it all apart it turned out I have the DA103 8 inch damper plate. I think maybe the flywheel has been changed at some point from the original.

This is why my father, who was a diesel truck mechanic, would never order parts in advance. He would wait until he had the truck in front of him, pull the broken part and bring it with him to the parts place (professional place). He would tell the counterman what it was and what truck it came out of. The counterman would look it up in his book and go get it from the back racks. (think end of Raiders of the Lost Ark) They would match the parts up and then the counterman would go back and get another one since the original one he brought up wasn't the same. Within two or three tries the would have the correct part. My father would then drive back to the shop and install the new correct part.

I never followed his advice and it never made any difference. Except for all the extra driving back and forth to the parts store for corrected parts.

Alormaria, good method! ...hopefully, the parts place is well stocked and don't have to order it in as this always seems to take several days :)

While in haul out we changed the damper plate, used 8" long bolts replacing the original bolts in several location to slide the transmission back and changed the plate in a couple of hours. Thanks to those who offered those ideas.

Ours was still in relatively good shape but we had the shaft back to do wood repairs and we had no idea how old it was until we took it out. It was date stamped 1995 and had about 2200 hours as we know the engine was rebuilt then so they must have changed the plate during the rebuild.

Several springs were just starting to loosen but we'll keep it on the boat as an emergency repair part along with its bolts.

It was the 13.25 inch diameter damper with 26 splines on our Lehman 120

Attachments

• IMG_4259.jpg
    IMG_4259.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4260.jpg
    IMG_4260.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 23
Got mine from American Diesel. My old one was rusted on to the tranny spline. (PITA!!!!) lol

Just figured close up pics might help

Good luck

Attachments

• 2675A54F-509F-4916-921F-7EF9F5D09288.jpg
    2675A54F-509F-4916-921F-7EF9F5D09288.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 9D5D8B24-CBCA-41F3-95E0-66DCED7AF7C7.jpg
    9D5D8B24-CBCA-41F3-95E0-66DCED7AF7C7.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 18
What a knuckle duster of a job, you made me feel lucky! :eek:

What a knuckle duster of a job, you made me feel lucky! :eek:

Yeah. Just wanted to grab a big hammer and a torch, but was afraid I would screw up the tranny.

Grinder, hacksaw,, beer, cold chisel. I got a decent tan since I was in the sun for a few hours, lol.

The worst part was tugging on the tranny to get the thing off. Was just stuck together until the plate broke in two.

Had me stumped

Last edited:
Yeah. Just wanted to grab a big hammer and a torch, but was afraid I would screw up the tranny.

Grinder, hacksaw,, beer, cold chisel. I got a decent tan since I was in the sun for a few hours, lol.

The worst part was tugging on the tranny to get the thing off. Was just stuck together until the plate broke in two.

Had me stumped

was it rusted to the spline

was it rusted to the spline

Yes. Absolutely fused with rust. Had to cut into 3 pieces to get off. Seems like its not a common thing. (Only me, lmao)

I was going to fill the bell housing of the tranny with ice and hit with oxy acetylene torch, but felt the risk was not worth it.

Attachments

• E95C4F4B-A455-4B74-B5CE-498100C145FB.jpg
    E95C4F4B-A455-4B74-B5CE-498100C145FB.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom