Care of interior teak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
I am considering purchasing a GB 42 CL and have been on a couple so far. There is an 1987 for sale and the owner says that the interior teak is varnished annually. I have not been on this boat. Please tell me you don't need to varnish the interior teak. I think this must be a mistake. How do you care for your interior teak? Thanks.

The teak parquet floors in my galley and heads are coated with Cetol. Much easier to clean than oiled and they go quite a few years without needing attention. The rest of my interior teak is just oiled. It gets a coat of oil about once a year at this point and that's plenty to keep it looking good.

The teak parquet floors in my galley and heads are coated with Cetol. Much easier to clean than oiled and they go quite a few years without needing attention. The rest of my interior teak is just oiled. It gets a coat of oil about once a year at this point and that's plenty to keep it looking good.

:thumb:

On our Krogen and on our last boat, all the interior teak was varnished with a satin finish. We’d renew the finish on the grab rails every 5 years or so and some of rest about ten years. We even have some varnished surfaces that have not been touched since the boat was built in 1987 and look great!

I can’t imagine nor have I ever heard of anyone varnishing the interior finishes annually.

Ours is a 1987 President. Ours has satin finish and I am pretty positive that it has never been refinished and it still looks great.

I'm with Larry...
On our last boat I did interior teak with Waterlox Tung Oil. I preferred to wipe it on which left a glow vs a heavier coat.
It is available in a satin as well as gloss.
Every 5-10 yrs all that's necessary.

I have an 87 Albin that is ALL varnished teak inside. Its in great shape and I haven't touched it in the 6 seasons I've owned it. I can't imagine needing to varnish the interior every year.

Ken

Ours is a 1987 President. Ours has satin finish and I am pretty positive that it has never been refinished and it still looks great.

Right!

I am considering purchasing a GB 42 CL and have been on a couple so far. There is an 1987 for sale and the owner says that the interior teak is varnished annually. I have not been on this boat. Please tell me you don't need to varnish the interior teak. I think this must be a mistake. How do you care for your interior teak? Thanks.

How thick is the varnish with a coat every year and not out in the weather? Does it look really thick? I am certainly not an expert on varnish but I would be concerned that it is getting very thick and may start to crack at some point unless they sanded each time which would be a lot of work each year.

Heck no I’m not doing that every year. Mine have a satin finish and Murphy’s oil soap sheets work great but I have also been going some updating with removable wallpaper. It brightens the cabin up a bit.

Attachments

• E40FE2DC-0A5A-4762-9BAB-900348BB035A.jpg
    E40FE2DC-0A5A-4762-9BAB-900348BB035A.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 81
  • EF166073-D7D2-4CCC-8B9B-DCACEA35F7C0.jpg
    EF166073-D7D2-4CCC-8B9B-DCACEA35F7C0.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 6F3FF62F-EAC3-4461-83E0-3EE1BCAF839B.jpg
    6F3FF62F-EAC3-4461-83E0-3EE1BCAF839B.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 82
Greetings,
Ms. D. WOW! That's the first time I've seen overall pictures of your interior...WOW!!! VERY nice!

giphy.webp

This kind...

Attachments

• 81A7EEBB-B775-4E63-BC7D-5E85C557EADD.jpg
    81A7EEBB-B775-4E63-BC7D-5E85C557EADD.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 83
Very light coat of baby oil. Sponge or fluffy rag; rubber glove if you like. Rub in well. Takes minutes... once every few years. Brings out the luster of the teak grain. Dries quickly.

Thanks all. I feel better now. I do like the idea of the tung oil. Never heard of baby oil but its worth a try. I had an older, 86, sailboat with unfinished teak in it and I used to apply teak oil to it each spring. It smelled for weeks. Not totally unpleasant but my wife didn't like it.

Dang, Donna. Lookin’ great. Bright and light! Come do mine.

Donna - Your pouch was the color coordinator... was she/he not??

Does look great!!

I am considering purchasing a GB 42 CL and have been on a couple so far. There is an 1987 for sale and the owner says that the interior teak is varnished annually. I have not been on this boat. Please tell me you don't need to varnish the interior teak... I think this must be a mistake..
I suspect he meant exterior. That would make sense.

Before you laugh try Pledge wipes.

Annually??? Someone had OCD.
The sole may need a light sanding and a matte or satin refinish every few years but other than that...

All my windows are laminated glass so UV doesn't hit interior varnish. Still looks OK after 35 years with the exception of a few spots under window leaks.

It really did mention interior varnish as well as exterior. That's what got me thinking that if I had to varnish inside AND outside then maybe I should consider another boat. There is enough exterior to worry about!
Lots of good info from you folks. Thanks again.

Thanks all! It’s been a 3 year process. I actually didn’t even realize my puppy Max was in the picture. I have a few projects left. New bridge enclosure is being made as I write this. I’m a former interior decorator, in what seems like another life! Lol!

When it’s finished, probably another 6 months or so, I’ll post all interior and exterior pics in a new “finished” thread.

All of this is fluff but I can ensure you all systems and engine is in stellar working condition. Totally love working on her. New survey is around the corner to up my insurance. Then what? Maybe I’ll come and work on your boats!!! Lol! I’m gonna be bored!

Greetings,
Ms. D. Sounds like a good plan BUT allow me to be the first to offer you our boat to work on to assuage your upcoming boredom. I know, I know...I'm just TOO nice....

200.webp

Greetings,
Ms. D. Sounds like a good plan BUT allow me to be the first to offer you our boat to work on to assuage your upcoming boredom. I know, I know...I'm just TOO nice....

200.webp

I would really enjoy that! Be careful what you wish for!!!

My 1980 boat has the same amount of teak as any 1987 GB 42. When I acquired this boat in 1993 the interior needed freshening, mostly to get rid of cigarette smell. Since that fresh coat of semi gloss varnish it has had another, and in some places I am considering doing it again. The floor gets high gloss, some of the trim as well, but most of the teak gets semi.
My exterior teak OTOH all gets gloss. Some boards are ready for their second coat, but most get it semi-annually or annually. I keep Retreat in a shelter 6 months and in the weather 6 months.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom