Batteries run dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isabella42

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Isabella
Vessel Make
42’ Grand Banks Classic
I have a question about why my batteries are constantly running dry. My GB42 is 1500 miles away from my home but I travel to it frequently at a secure marina where she is on shore power. It seems that within a month of my filling up the batteries with distilled water, they are completely dry. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I can do to prevent this from occurring?
Thanks.

The problem is probably the battery charger. Old ones before the days of three step chargers, charge with a single voltage. Sometimes it is too high and boils (well disassociates) the electrolyte.

What make/model of charger do you have?

Or I guess you could have a case leak.

BTW batteries that have been dry for a few days are probably toast.

David

During that extensive recent discussion about whether distilled water was really necessary in batteries, I checked mine. One was bone dry and one was badly depleted (like one third down) but not dry. I pulled and filled them both and put them on trickle chargers. One came back okay (13.1) but the bone-dry battery was toast and never came back, just as David says. My charger was original to the boat, 1995/6, a "dumb" charger so just for general purposes I upgraded to a smart charger. Bought it used for a really good price, a Charles 60 amp/variable battery type from just before Charles stopped making marine chargers, but it's only a few years old and I hope will do a better, more careful job on the batteries and won't run them dry quickly.

I came back to the boat after about a month away. Checked electrolyte and all read full charge average 12.80. Proceeded to top up with distilled and about 50% needed a little.

Point is I have a 3 stage charger and it sits at float most of the time.
Your batteries are overcharged. When you do get new batteries, also get a 3 stage charger.

Back
Top Bottom