Anyone tried Boracol for teak decks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bongi

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scatterlings
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42C
I've heard the most dangerous risk for teaks decks is the owner. :banghead:

From what I have read, I believe that. From some limited research, it seems the only Halberg Rassy recommended product for their teak decks is Boracol is worth consideration - which appears to have originated in Scandinavia.

It goes on clear, gets absorbed over the next 2 weeks and then acts a powerful algicide/fungicide.

This addresses one of the root causes of discoloration... which limits the need for excessive scrubbing.

Anyone tried this?

Following.

IMO though, Salt water is a teak decks best friend.
I had my tech decks rescinded by one of the best singers in Fort Lauderdale, Jeff Gibbs teak. He emphasized multiple times to not do anything to the teak. Let it go grey. That’s its natural state and that’s where it likes to be.

On our last boat we used Semco sealer for the teak decks. Worked great and very easy to use. Fortunately our new boat doesn’t have any teak…

we would sprinkle Borax on the deck and rinse with salt water, using a very soft brush across the grain or more often a mop to remove the solution. It tended to remove the mildew that can accumulate, the decks stayed a light grey.

I've used Boracol for many years. If you've come to the point where you appreciate grey/sliver teak, it's definitely a good option, in my opinion. It removes deep-down mildew spots and helps prevent further spots. It's very easy to apply and not risky for adjacent fiberglass. My intent is to put it on once per year, but I don't always get around to it...and even after two years, the decks look decent.

EDIT: NOTE - it does not make the teak brown again. If you want this, you need to go with a more aggressive (and probably destructive) cleaner.

Thanks Scott - great to get a comment from someone with first hand experience too

About Boracol

I would say that all knowledged sailors in Sweden know Boracol and love it. But it is no longer possible to buy here, or in Europe. I have used it on teak deck, and wood constructions i my garden fo many years as have others. The result is outstanding. It kills fungi and then prevent any new growth for years and years. Resluting in silvergrey wood that is kissed only by the sun and water or saltwater. In US you can still buy Borax and Boric acid, mixed with glykol this will become Boracol. There nothing that can compare with this that i know of. It will make your deck live for ever. You have Boracare wich is the same thing, but a stronger solution (better). Apply once. And your out of trouble for years and years. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom