Anyone having problems getting on GB site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Myself and a couple of my friends have been banned from the GB site for daring to criticize Bob Lowe. He has locked out our IP addresses so we can't even see the site. None of this has anything to do with our contributions to the use and maintenance of Grand Banks boats. My contribution was over 2500 posts, most of which I feel contributed positively to the community. I was banned solely for being critical and responding with incredulity to the (IMHO) crazy assertions made on the Dock Talk/off topic section by Bob Lowe.

We did not break any rules nor otherwise compromise the integrity of the site, we merely contradicted Bob Lowe. He has done all this stealthily, claiming on the site that it had been hacked, and he has not announced our banning, conducting the process entirely undercover.

I also made a financial contribution to the site which went directly into his pocket. I regret that.

I protest in advance any attempts to sully my name and reputation, I have been told that this is his next step in his process to discredit us. There are lots of vindictive, paranoid and unpleasant people on this planet; I just did not expect to find one amongst my friends on the GB site.

I apologize for this rant, I feel a strong need to stand up for myself and the other forum has been denied to me.

I have noticed the GB site has been very hit and miss for a long time now...........:banghead:

Myself and a couple of my friends have been banned from the GB site for daring to criticize Bob Lowe. He has locked out our IP addresses so we can't even see the site. None of this has anything to do with our contributions to the use and maintenance of Grand Banks boats. My contribution was over 2500 posts, most of which I feel contributed positively to the community. I was banned solely for being critical and responding with incredulity to the (IMHO) crazy assertions made on the Dock Talk/off topic section by Bob Lowe.

We did not break any rules nor otherwise compromise the integrity of the site, we merely contradicted Bob Lowe. He has done all this stealthily, claiming on the site that it had been hacked, and he has not announced our banning, conducting the process entirely undercover.

I also made a financial contribution to the site which went directly into his pocket. I regret that.

I protest in advance any attempts to sully my name and reputation, I have been told that this is his next step in his process to discredit us. There are lots of vindictive, paranoid and unpleasant people on this planet; I just did not expect to find one amongst my friends on the GB site.

I apologize for this rant, I feel a strong need to stand up for myself and the other forum has been denied to me.

I was wondering what happened to you! Too bad. Your contributions to the GB Owner's forums were appreciated, at least by me. I guess I'll continue to pull information from the site as well as from Mike Negley from the Beacon. Two heads full of experience for boat feeding and maintenance but maybe not so much on a personal level. Again, too bad...

Thanks Ray and Mike, appreciate your support. Agree about Mike Negley, knowledgeable and normal!

GB Becon

This is Mike Negley advising that the GB Beacon is now operating again. Sorry for the many and sometimes long periods of non-operation. Sometime ago Grand Banks outsourced all their IT operation and no one remembered there was a GB Beacon website and whomever had the administration rights had disappeared. Tony and I are now trying to find a new person to administer the site and I think we have one. I will continue to post and invite anyone to participate. We miss you.
Mike

Good news, I wish you all success. I hope that many of the posters on the "other" site will see the light and make the change too.

"...to all those who sail in her..."

Can not access the old GB owners web site

There was, until recently, a web site for GB owners:

IAGBO :: Index

Now when I try to access it, it will not display. The old web site, "Grand Banks Beacon" and Mike's GB discussion group are still there.

Anyone else having access problems? Are they gone? Changed their web address?

I'm still having problems getting on the IAGBO site. I'd sent an email to Bob Lowe a week or so ago. He said they were having no known problems, suggested that I clear my caches. I did that, but still can't get on. I end up with a "timed out" message.

Seguin, GB32-126

I have not been able to access the Grand Banks Owners site for a couple of months - just times out. Interesting that I have no problem from my work computer. I think they have a software problem that is blocking some IP addresses.

Dan
1978 Grand Banks 36 classic
Channel Islands

Yeah, I know. I have been able to access the site for years, and now, it just times out. Do not know how to contact the site for help in this matter. Does anyone know?

I did send a email to the owner, but no reply.

Dan

Most forums, no idea about that one, have a "contact us" button on every page somewhere. Ours is located at the bottom of every page. When you click on it, it sends an email to the forum help desk via standard email. This feature works regardless if you are signed in or not or even if you do not have an account.

It is the recommended way to contact any forum when you are having issues with that site. Perhaps if you can find and click that button the site owner will be able to help you solve your issues?

yes, exactly what I did.

Dan

Well, you did the right thing. Now you're waiting on someone on the other side to do their part and give you the courtesy of a response. Can't help you there :)

July 2020. Grand Banks Owners site is down. Looks like domain name is up for grabs? Link to site is broken. Anyone have an information on its possible resurrection?

I was contributing 50 bucks a year to help with site costs, but it has been 3-4 weeks since I've checked the site.

I had a bunch of page links in my browser saved for future projects. Lots of good information on that site; I'd hate to see it all vanish in the ether...

Grand banks blog

Here is some history, John Shannahan at Oxford Yacht Agency started this blog many years ago because he was getting so may calls he couldn't run his company. The blog was never copyrighted or protected from theft. Bob Lowe simply downloaded it to his site and John didn't really care. John was a wold class expert on Grand Banks boats and one of their largest dealers. The cost of operating the blog finally overcame Bob and the site has been for sale a long time. Altho Bob was difficult to deal with his best idea was the ability to capture the fuel inside the tank using a shopvac so you could remove or replace tank fitting below the fuel level. I tried very hard to get Grandbanks to take over the blog, but they didn't even return my phone calls. It was a valuable asset while it lasted. All the best, Mike.

Here is some history, John Shannahan at Oxford Yacht Agency started this blog many years ago because he was getting so may calls he couldn't run his company. The blog was never copyrighted or protected from theft. Bob Lowe simply downloaded it to his site and John didn't really care. John was a wold class expert on Grand Banks boats and one of their largest dealers. The cost of operating the blog finally overcame Bob and the site has been for sale a long time. Altho Bob was difficult to deal with his best idea was the ability to capture the fuel inside the tank using a shopvac so you could remove or replace tank fitting below the fuel level. I tried very hard to get Grandbanks to take over the blog, but they didn't even return my phone calls. It was a valuable asset while it lasted. All the best, Mike.

Mike, I know your affiliation with GB Beacon and, I believe, the early days of GBOA. Any way you could obtain rights to GBOA’s data base?

Thanks, Mike. I remember your site as well. Very informative too with great photos and how-to articles. I was sorry when you shut it down a few years ago.

I did a site search on TF as I thought I remembered a fairly recent thread where some posters (or a poster) mentioned being in contact with Bob about taking over his site, but my search only returned this thread.

Really a shame to see the information (from both sites!) vanish in the great void. Maybe someone will get lucky (or possess greater IT skills than me) and resurrect that institutional knowledge...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom