Old 06-09-2022, 06:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Ladysmith
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #248
Another Teak Deck Post

So our 50 year old teak deck is looking really sad, plenty of exposed nail heads and with uneven and missing caulk. Its definitely leaking but luckily its boathouse kept so water intrusion is kept to a minimum.

In the short term I was going to cover the deck with duck canvas and then paint it, the old fashioned approach. While removing the windlass switch buttons I had had a really good look at the teak planks, there appears to be over 1/2" remaining, closed to 5/8", much more than I expected. This made me think again. The deck is nailed down with bronze ring nails, it seems as though someone has removed and epoxied in new teak plugs at sometime in the past but they are now less than an 1/8" thick now. There seems to be enough teak left to try to save it.

Ive experimented at removing the teak nails by drilling holes in the head, screwing in stainless steel screws and then removing the nails with a hammer. Its slow work, on average each nail takes 10 to 15 minutes. The bronze eats drill bits, they rapidly become blunt. On about 10% of the nails the head pops off leaving the nail shank in place, these I try to pull with needle nose pliers. I've made a tool to fit over the shank of the nail to drill down the outside, trying to make pulling it out easier, it works most of the time but there are a few nails I will have to find another way of removing the shank which appears to have been bent during installation.

My plan is to fill each nail hole with penetrating epoxy to seal off any rot, countersink the holes deeper and then use a larger screw to re-attach the deck, finishing with new teak plugs.

The job is going to take months if I continue in this fashion so I'm wondering if anyone else has found a quicker way to remove the bronze nails.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2002.jpg   IMG_2009.jpg   IMG_2011.jpg   IMG_2012.jpg   IMG_2010.jpg  

IMG_2013.jpg   IMG_2017.jpg  
Oil Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Do you need to pull the nails? How about using a nail set and driving them in just a hair deeper?
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
When I find a missing bung or see dampness around a bung, I pull the screw, drill out to 3/8 inch all the way down but not through the lower layer of fiberglass, fill with epoxy, and drive in a new bung. Seems like you could do pretty much the same. No need for any new fasteners in my opinion. I only do this one at a time AS NEEDED.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I did try pushing the nails deeper but it wasn't a success, they would hardly move , certainly not enough to reset the plugs. If I hit them any harder I was worried about splitting the teak strip.

Ive looked all over the internet and unfortunately cannot find a tool for this task.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
A good hard 3/8 drill might take care of the bronze nail at the same time?
Old 06-09-2022, 07:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Redlands
Vessel Name: No Hurries
Vessel Model: 78 CHB 33.5'
I don't understand why the old nails have to come out. If your filling with epoxy it's going to seal them and reinforce the bond. Once the bung is in your going to have to cut it off or grind it down to make it flush. What am I missing?
Socal_Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

At the moment all the old nail heads are at the surface or very close to the surface, I want to remove the nails, countersink the holes deeper and then use screws with the heads set deep enough to use new teak plugs.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Check out “screw extractor” on Rockler website. It is a miniature hole saw that you drill down around the broken nail/screw. Then pull out the plug. Fill the hole with thickened epoxy and put in new screw.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Do you think the nails backed out or the surface under them is going away?

Can you get under the nail head at all when it's in the hole?

For removing screws and nails with no heads I always go with the vice grips. They have a huge selection of jaws on them now.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

On the early Woodie GB's the decks were secured with bronze ring nails. Mine is a 71 version. So far Ive manage to get almost 100 nails out. If you zoom into the attached photos you can see that they are bronze ring shank nails.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2013.jpg   IMG_2014.jpg  
Old 06-09-2022, 08:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The Rockler tool is similar to the one I made from 1/4" stainless steel tubing to remove the shank when the nail head pulls off, it works OK and allows me to insert needle nose vice grips to pull the shank out, except when the shank is bent, it then obliterates the teeth. I got three feet of tubing, cut three inches off and cut a serrated edge in one end with a dremel. I was hoping to find something like a reverse Easyout that would go over the shank and grip onto it spinning it loose.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have some of the easy out sockets with teeth that grip in reverse but they are for bolts so they are pretty big. Have not seen any small enough for the broken nails.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

A couple more pictures, a cleaned up ring nail, some stainless steel tube with a serrated edge cut in it to drill down the side of the shank, the early version made from an old socket (the metal was too soft and it ground down as soon as it touched the bronze nails) and finally a Vise Grip slide hammer that Im going to try next time Im down the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
AD95973A-9E94-4F17-B90E-769D620F1B9A.jpg   E9273FCC-3794-4B1A-9076-F222C961896A.jpg   4D1E4852-8460-48CB-B1FC-6407A44E9AE5.jpg   FCE784CD-8FF9-424C-9D7F-62F5B4805D9D.jpg   2EA569C8-AD37-4556-AB19-7D0C30D546C1.jpg  

Old 06-10-2022, 05:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gypsy View Post
The Rockler tool is similar to the one I made from 1/4" stainless steel tubing to remove the shank when the nail head pulls off, it works OK and allows me to insert needle nose vice grips to pull the shank out, except when the shank is bent, it then obliterates the teeth. I got three feet of tubing, cut three inches off and cut a serrated edge in one end with a dremel. I was hoping to find something like a reverse Easyout that would go over the shank and grip onto it spinning it loose.
They have them but I don't think you have enough space between the screw head and the hole. Even if you did it's meant more for a twisting grip to back a screw out. It likely wouldn't grip enough to pull straight out. It's called a spiral stud extractor.

Can you get a Jacobs chuck in there? Or perhaps a sliding pin vise? If the head is even close to the surface you might be able to start with the corner of a tack puller and work under it.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:50 PM   #15

City: south pasadena
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Diamond coated drills

I needed to extract nails used in chair construction a century ago without creating a big hole to repair. I found "drills" on Amazon of different diameters that had diamond dust instead of teeth. You can drill around the nail shank, perhaps as deep as the nail is long, then easily pull out the nail. I would also use a portable drill press, which uses a hand drill, to ensure a 90o hole.
majnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: JOYSEA
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
My 1970 GB was having Deck leaks. I found places the caulk was pulling away from the sides of the planks. Once the bad caulk was replaced the leaks stopped even though there was some missing bungs. IMHO if the teak around the nail not soft I would not be pulling nails.
Good luck,
Brad
bjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:19 PM   #17

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
Would it be possible to lift off the teak after the nail heads are drilled out? I would like to get them out and then seal the deck under the teak.

These tiny hole saws might help: https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Drill...a-901839935424
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: JOYSEA
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Teak decks

I don’t claim to know all there is to know about teak decks on GB’s. My understanding is, under the teak;1/4 “ plywood covered with a canvas material coated with something. Pulling nails may not accomplish a lot. Taking up the deck the deck means you won’t be boating for sometime😳. But then that would save buying that high priced fuel.😉
bjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:53 PM   #19
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
For what it is worth. When I researched buying this 1971 GB I found that it and earlier ones used ring nails was to hold the teak down until the bedding they used glued it in place. Newer decks are laid down without that laborious process. A friend who works in the boat world and has laid plenty of teak told me to leave it alone if there are no leaks, no sanding, no sealing.

As mentioned if you have a leak under the deck look for what other than the teak & ring nails could have caused it. Yes if the caulk between planks has separated remove and reseal spot repair. Don't open Pandora's box.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:19 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
When I had a failed teak Lazarette hatch, many years ago, I researched its replacement. What I learned then may, or may not, be what you are facing.
A "Teak Deck" on a wooden boat, could be laid, as others have suggested, on a plywood "sub deck", with canvas between. It could also be laid on framing directly, in which case the caulking is laid in a channel cut into the teak boards, extending only 1/4" in depth. The lower part of the boards are laid touching each other Bond breaking string, like shoelace material, in the channel, caulking above that. Each board may be glued to the frames, each is certainly nailed, or screwed, to the frames. If that is the construction of yours, the nails are required to be replaced. If yours is the plywood, the nails were required before the glue set, but are not required on a refit, as thet glue will continue to be the principal fastener.