Old 02-19-2022, 09:19 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
There is a school of thought among some cruisers that by transmitting AIS information, and especially if you have a pic associated with your AIS, unsavory characters can "window shop" from far away, or even on shore as to what boat they wish to go after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I dont want folks to window shop for my fabulous American Tug soooo, upon recommendation, I have not posted a picture in the AIS transmitted information.
That makes sense. Damn thieves! Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I do have a switch to shut off the 'transmission' part of my AIS. It may be a foolish decision upon my part but until the Feds mandate recreational boats have AIS, I want the ability to 'disappear'.
Excellent point there too. Thanks Dan.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:01 AM   #22
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Seems to me some folks (not referring to anyone in this thread) work overtime trying to give us still more stuff to worry about.

Our AIS is transmitting when underway; off at the dock to reduce congestion. We also have some pics of the boat on marine traffic posted by the PO.

I figure 99+% of the people who would access this information do so for benign purposes. I'm not sweating the rest.
danderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 12:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: currently Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
Seems to me some folks (not referring to anyone in this thread) work overtime trying to give us still more stuff to worry about.
Agreed. Kind of like blurring the license plate out on pictures of their car...
Old 02-19-2022, 01:22 PM   #24
Guru

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post

Our AIS is transmitting when underway; off at the dock to reduce congestion. We also have some pics of the boat on marine traffic posted by the PO.

I figure 99+% of the people who would access this information do so for benign purposes. I'm not sweating the rest.
Yep!
Old 02-21-2022, 04:54 PM   #25

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
AIS transmit

You don't mention if you have an NMEA backbone.

I believe you would need the backbone to have receive and have it show on your MFD.

The 600 is a transducer meaning it will transmit & receive but without the backbone and an antenna you will lose some of the benefits.

You also don't mention if your 1242 is an xsv model.

You mention going to Nova Scotia and I think that to be safe, this is my opinion based on what we carry to do the Loop. I'd think about adding Radar for fog as well as a sounder. The 1242, I believe, will work with a number of sounders.

You also might want to update your charts to Vision+ and g3, call Garmin to see if the 1242 will support g3 & Vision.

Also, not knowing where you are starting from Saunderstown is in both RI & NC, you might want to consider an autopilot and autorouting that would help you with keeping your boat in safe water (after you had put your boat characteristics in the MFD/chart).

As to the MMSI you can check (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/685370) here for the units documentation, under Accessories then Manuals. Depending on the PO you might be able to reprogram your MMSI number or you may need to return it to Garmin. The documentation in a PDF is searchable so once downloaded search for MMSI in the document.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good luck with your cruise.
m/v Nepidae, Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:32 PM   #26

City: Saunderstown
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Europa
Nepidae -

Thanks for a response targeted to the question I originally asked.

The boat is kept in Newport, RI and the Saunderstown, RI where we live is just below the Jamestown bridge on the West passage of Narragansett Bay. I did not know there was a Saunderstown, NC.

She is pretty well equipped electronically but I feel very safe with the electronics currently onboard. Could there be upgrades = absolutely but for now I am okay. She has:

RADAR: Garmin
VHF: Two hand mikes with a Standard Horizon P2000
SATCOM: KVH TracPhone
SATTV: KVH TracVision 3
AUTOPILOT: Simrad AP26
GPS: 4 Garmin GPSMAP 1242 (do not believe it is an xsv model)
PLOTTER PROGRAM: Nobeltec
DEPTHSOUNDER: Garmin
COMPASS: Two Richie magnetic

All the above currently communicate well through a backbone.

I currently do not transmit on AIS from my boat and after spending too much time reading the Garmin chart plotter manual I have not been able to figure out if I can turn the AIS transmit function ON / OFF from the GPSMAP touch screens. I have also tried to ask the question of Garmin Support but that has not provided many answers. I do have the FCC issued MMSI license from PO. If it can't be turned ON/OFF from GPMAP and I do not believe I have seen a manual switch connected to the AIS 600, then I need to try to program the AIS 600, That is once I can locate where it is on the boat. Believe it could be behind the chart plotters so next warm day in NE I will take a look.

Again i appreciate your response - Thank You,
Bob
kernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:40 PM   #27
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Also check the flybridge brow. It might be up there.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:44 PM   #28
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I think I mentioned, my AIS has a separate physical switch that will shut off the transmit part of the AIS.
Yes, I can still be found on RADAR but 'who am I', on the RADAR.

As it was pointed out, I have a pic of my boat displayed here PLUS other information about my boat posted here. I'm not sure if the average thief knows of this forum or will take the time to do the research. They generally just want to know, where is this 'beautiful, unidentified, mysterious boat and, is it worthwhile stealing.'
WINK WINK Little do the thieve know, I use gold bars for ballast. LOL Shhhhhure.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #29
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernr View Post
Nepidae -

I currently do not transmit on AIS from my boat and after spending too much time reading the Garmin chart plotter manual I have not been able to figure out if I can turn the AIS transmit function ON / OFF from the GPSMAP touch screens. I have also tried to ask the question of Garmin Support but that has not provided many answers. I do have the FCC issued MMSI license from PO. If it can't be turned ON/OFF from GPMAP and I do not believe I have seen a manual switch connected to the AIS 600, then I need to try to program the AIS 600, That is once I can locate where it is on the boat. Believe it could be behind the chart plotters so next warm day in NE I will take a look.

Again i appreciate your response - Thank You,
Bob

I don’t believe there is a Garmin transmit on/off switch, hardware or software. Others here have said they have added one, for their own reasons.
You must have a configuration or network error somewhere. Just a guess.

If there is no MMSI assigned it won’t transmit.
If there was one assigned you can not change it (maybe Garmin or the dealer can)

Installation manual

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/AIS_...uctions_EN.pdf

Manual states you need to set it up with it connected to a PC and using included cable and setup software from an included CDROM - might want to think of a newer B+ AIS!
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:40 PM   #30
Guru

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Sorry for the miss information. I had the Garmin AIS 300. I was confused on the model numbers.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:32 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
I donít believe there is a Garmin transmit on/off switch, hardware or software. Others here have said they have added one, for their own reasons.
You must have a configuration or network error somewhere. Just a guess.

If there is no MMSI assigned it wonít transmit.
If there was one assigned you can not change it (maybe Garmin or the dealer can)

Installation manual

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/AIS_...uctions_EN.pdf

Manual states you need to set it up with it connected to a PC and using included cable and setup software from an included CDROM - might want to think of a newer B+ AIS!

Page 8 shows the connections for "Silent Mode".
Old 02-21-2022, 09:34 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Sorry for the miss information. I had the Garmin AIS 300. I was confused on the model numbers.

The AIS 300 is a receiver only.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:13 PM   #33
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Hmmmm, AIS, not required on recreational boats and if you have it, not required to turn it on and if you turn it on, there is no requirement to transmit.

I guess it is not required to transmit on commercial ships because there are a lot of 'ghost' ships out there.

In an area known for pirates, I can understand turning the AIS totally off. I sort of doubt the pirates will be transmitting their position. SHRUG
There is only one way to defend your self is to catch them off guard and it possible, run them down and "steam away."

I suspect the USCG and the USN can go silent too.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:26 AM   #34
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Not sure if it helps but i have a vesper 8000 ais and its wifi so easy to use with a phone app. If your looking to get things updated might be something to look at for removing stress. Couldnt be easier to operate. Only thing is you program your msi once and if you error it has to be sent in for reprogramming.
Twisted tree knows a lot about this stuff. I would listen to his advise over mine.Should be able to follow the antenna cable to find its location.
magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:36 AM   #35

City: Kemah, TX
Bob,

On your questions:

(1) So, my basic question is how do I know if the correct MMSI was ever put into the radio<?>

(2)...is there a way to turn the Active transmit on and off?

(3)I don't know if you control this through the radio or the Garmin – GPSMAP 1242 Touch displays. Assistance and knowledge appreciated.

RESPONSES:
(1) A couple of easy ways:
-go to a neighbor's boat, look at your AIS info via their MFD and see what number and name are coming across.
-go to a site like www.marinetraffic.com, find your boat on the map, click on it and go to vessel details and the MMSI number will be on that page

From what you describe, it will probably show up under the original owner's vessel name and MMSI. You will most likely need to get a new MMSI and send it to Garmin to get the MMSI re-programmed

(2) The AIS 600 can go into silent mode only via a hard-wired switch. Look at the unit from the front side, the connectors going from left to right. The first connector on the left is a BNC style and goes to the remote GPS antenna. The second connector from the left is the SRM cable. If they didn't leave that cable hanging on/unconnected, you'll need to find one. The part number is: 010-11422-01

To wire up a "go silent" switch:
Connect the yellow and green wires on the SRM cable to a single pole, single throw toggle switch. When you close the switch, the AIS600 enters silent mode.

(3) the AIS600 is a legacy model and appears to only go into silent mode (transmit off) via hard wired switch
mjoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:07 PM   #36

Ais

Twistedtree -

Under the flybridge brow was one of the first places I looked - no joy. I am betting it is under the console containing the flush mounted GPSMAP 1242s on lower helm station but have not looked yet - still a little cold up here. Once I find the little bugger I will be able to see if the second terminal from left has a wire attached to it. When I do find it I will try to do a set up program on it and enter the MMSI from PO and the FCC in case it was never loaded in first place. I am betting that second owner never got their PO MMSI and didn't send the Garmin AIS 600 off to have it reset and programmed with new MMSI. PO had boat in Bahamas and Cuba so if he followed the rules he had to have a MMSI from FCC. But he might have just put it into the Standard Horizon VHF DCS. More to come when I locate it.
Bob
Old 02-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #37
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Twistedtree -

Under the flybridge brow was one of the first places I looked - no joy. I am betting it is under the console containing the flush mounted GPSMAP 1242s on lower helm station but have not looked yet - still a little cold up here. Once I find the little bugger I will be able to see if the second terminal from left has a wire attached to it. When I do find it I will try to do a set up program on it and enter the MMSI from PO and the FCC in case it was never loaded in first place. I am betting that second owner never got their PO MMSI and didn't send the Garmin AIS 600 off to have it reset and programmed with new MMSI. PO had boat in Bahamas and Cuba so if he followed the rules he had to have a MMSI from FCC. But he might have just put it into the Standard Horizon VHF DCS. More to come when I locate it.
Bob
If no MMSI was entered, thatís good BUT you have one shot to enter it correctly. Therefore make sure itís an MMSI you control.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:55 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Twistedtree -

Bob

I'm not sure what year your 47 EU is, but on my 2009 there was a panel in the guest room on the aft wall that opened up to provide access to the area behind the console. A bunch of my electronics were in there, as well as in the guest room overhead behind the ceiling panels.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:38 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: BREMERTON
Vessel Name: Dream Weaver
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander/Pilot House
Do you have one or two antennas for VHF? If just one then you might have a splitter in the line. Follow the antenna wire from the back of the VHF if just one antenna and you should find the AIS.
If two antennas then start at the antenna and work your way back.
In your search Iím sure you will find lots of other good to know things about your boat. Like looking for Easter eggs. Good luck
DW1979OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:12 AM   #40

Ais

Twistedtree -

Thanks again - she is a 2008 and that was examined pretty closely by me first time around - I left it open to check again - didn't see it there the first time around.

DW19790A - I believe there are two - there is a fiberglass whip on port side of flybridge and I believe the AIS 600 comes with its own antenna (it could be receive only) on the mast mount. You ask a very good question. After I look at one place I have not looked yet (behind GPSMAPs at lower helm) I will have to start tracing wires back. It could very well be that there is a splitter down stream from whip. Thanks for your post.
Bob