About "SPRAY"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks omc,
I like the hull a lot and it's supposed to be a the same as the GB36. The lines drawing you show (I've seen them before) seem to show a slight hollowness to the buttock lines aft. Looks like a slightly cupped or hooked bottom there. Would like to see it a tad convex but is as it is most likely to prevent high running angles at 10 - 12 knots ... speeds the boat was clearly designed to do. Now almost nobody runs over 8 knots.

Appears more like the Coot than production GBs. except she's over-powered.

Last edited:
Spray's semi-planing hull underwater is claimed to be identical to the hull American Marine used for the GB36 (and all the subsequent models until the most recent "fast" GBs).

Above the waterline there are some stylistic difference, mainly the break in the sheer a little more than halfway back. But the underwater lines, angles, etc. are identical according to everything I've read about American Marine, Spray, and the GB36. Spray was even given an "honorary" Grand Banks hull number, GB36-000.

Eric, Still have not mastered taking photo off my screen file to the forum. Do you still have one of the Tenacious? Always want to remind folks that a smaller 28 foot model by Smith that reflects the "Spray". If you do and post it, thanks,
Al

Al,
Finally found it.
The three pics of a GB36 bottom shows no sign of a hooked bottom .. good.
Opps .... I think it's a 42. Very small rudders.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 103 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 103 copy.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 178
  • all to 12-15-09 102 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 102 copy 2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCF1101 copy.jpg
    DSCF1101 copy.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCF1083 copy.jpg
    DSCF1083 copy.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCF1084 copy.jpg
    DSCF1084 copy.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Good pics

Al,
Finally found it.
The three pics of a GB36 bottom shows no sign of a hooked bottom .. good.
Opps .... I think it's a 42. Very small rudders.

Thanks Manyboats

Very interesting pictures. I'm wondering perhaps the first pictures could be a Chanteyman, what were the VERY first trawlers build by American Marine Ltd in Hong Kong, years BEFORE "Spray". Please look at the following links :

http://www.agbm.fr/attachment/389755/
And :
http://chanteymantrawleryachts.org/Chanteyman article-April 2010 PassageMaker.pdf

Olivier,
No not a Chanteyman.
Al of Ketchikan had the "Tenacious" in years past. I, at first thought it was GB w a burnt cabin that somebody restored w their own cabin. I'd see her when we came to the big town (Ketchikan) in our own boat when living on Prince of Waled Is. That was before I met Al here. Posted it on "interesting boats" (I think) and Al popped up and claimed her. Al what's the history on Tenacious? I can't remember.

Last edited:
Eric- Marin pretty much summed up the design relationship between the Spray and the 36 GB. Our boat was build in 1960 off the Ken Smith design for a small harbor tug. Were you to eliminate the aft third window and in its place a stout two post tug towing post assembly you would have the 'Tenacious' in its original configuration. The builder reclaimed the boat around 1965 and added the extension to the cabin added hand rails giving it the similarity to "Spray".
Originally the Tenacious (Imp) was powered by a 120 hp Nordberg 6 cyl. gas engine and could make her designed hull speed of 12 knots and give the appearance of planning.
The longest owner of the boat (20 years) re powered with a converted Hercules (White Motors) D198ER military generator set motor of 58 hp.
We enjoyed ownership for some 13 years and reluctantly switched to fiberglass for the usual reasons.
Sad to report that after two owners following our sale, the boat is reflecting neglect as only a wood boat without attention will. Still hope but slim, that a later owner will bring it back.

The 'Tenacious' reflects the lines and style of "Spray" yet is closer to the 28' Grand Banks in actual modeling.
Thanks:flowers: for finding and posting the photos. It is in that context that she remains in my heart and memories.

By the way here is a site for the Chantyman boats.
http://chanteymantrawleryachts.org/

Al-Ketchikan

Last edited:
Thanks Al,
How did Tenacious get along w 58hp? It seems she got along w that power for well over 13 years. That's only half as much steam as the FL and even I wouldn't choose such a small engine. Perhaps it was a big engine just underrated?? Must have been a sweet quiet ride w the old Nordberg.

Is she on the block now? Too bad she's not down here. Would sell quicker and for more money (more peanuts) and would be much much more likely to find a good home in better weather. Good luck Tenacious!

From OMC's link....
" On July 13, 2009 (luckily not a Friday!), Murphy Yacht Transport of Trenton, Maine, delivered Spray to our property in Bar Harbor and construction began on a barn to shelter her during repair."
Any idea what Spray's status is these days?

Eric,
Tenacious had a 3:1 gear throwing the original wheel from the Nordberg. The Hercules too was over wheeled, top RPM was rated at 2800 but was never able to achieve over 2400 RPM. We ran the boat at her hull speed at 1500-1550 RPM. (7-7.3 Knots)
This is where I acquired my comfort with being over wheeled with our current boat Slo~Belle.
Yesterday with good weather, I took Slo~Belle out on a spin in front of Ketchikan trolling for a "Winter Cook Fish (White King Salmon) in our current boat to no avail. Ran the boat at 1400 RPM out of max RPM of 2000 RPM (800 RPM under rated) available with the over wheeling condition.
Obtained 7.2 knots with the tide and 6.7 against. (Anecdotal for sure) The tide run flow on a 19 foot tide which Eric, you know creates some current one way or another depending.

Point- With the torque of the larger Perkins engine (85 hp) over the change out with the smaller (58) Perkins, it seems to provide a more willing desire to charge the tide rather than seemingly struggle. Maybe a perception on my part, yet it feels good and the low RPM sounds in the cabin is a comfort to the ear and well being thinking the engine is loafing along. (Please, this is not intended as a thread creep, more a response to Eric on a long running discussion:angel::blush::blush:)

Al-Ketchikan

Mike,
Spray is somewhere on the Great Lakes, sorry I don't have any more informations so far.
I met her at American Marine Ltd Grand Banks shipyard in Singapore, in April 1986 when I was visiting there. At this time Spray was shipped from the US to Singapore for some refit at the GB shipyard. Spray was built in the former American Marine shipyard in Junk Bay, Hong Kong.

omc,
Wasn't there an artical in PMM on Spray? Seems I recall her in Sweden or elsewhere on the continent. Someone was taking good care of her.

Thank you Donsan.
Yes it was :
Bar Harbor Wooden Boat
Rejuvenating the historic power cruiser Spray

I lived in Memphis in 1962.
They thought West Virginia was the midwest.
They were out west.

That's funny. I think of anything east of Cle Elum as East Coast!

Those from Oz and other far off places may wonder where Cle Elum is.

bcam there's a grey 37 NT behind us in LaConner. Like the grey better than all the colors of either NT or AT.

You're right, many might not know that Cle Elum is east of the center of the universe. Which is Seattle. Just ask anyone who lives there! :)

Sorry Marin,:nonono: The conversation has gone 'South' :D

Midwest!! Ha, ha, ha. It's merely central. Give us west-of-the-Rocky Mountains a break!!! You easterners are something else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom