36 owners wishing they bought a 42?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had from 18' boats up. Most recent a 31 cruier, 40 and 43 Mainship. For the most part, bigger is better especially in the 30/40 ft range. Don't see a huge difference is price, operating and maintenance in the mid 30s to lower 40s.

A 40 footer is almost big enough. The extra cabin space is significant.

If you want to go through the Panama Canal true LOA is important. Last boat was called a 46. That was deck length and sugar scoop. Prior without sugar scoop called a 44. Davits were pinned to prevent rotation and bar between the arms could be removed. When arms rotated in boat was just under 50’. The jump over 50’ costs big money when going through the canal. They measure and count everything. Some people take off davits and sprits to stay <50’.
Current boat was called a 42. Same hull is now called a 44. Lwl is the same. Wanted the earlier version in order to have a Cummins instead of a Volvo.

Last edited:
I have both a 73 36HCL and a 73 42HCL. We specifically bought the 36 instead of a 42 to do the Great Loop with our then 7yo daughter. We wanted the smallest GB that we would be comfortable in. We enjoyed it thoroughly, all 500 days. We had the opportunity to buy the 42 when we came back and it is a truly unique 42 so I bought it. We love the extra space but the 36 worked just fine for us. If I was a live aboard, however, I would want the 42 for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom