Old 04-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

City: Nutley
1982 Grand Banks 49 Original Bilge Pumps

Greetings

Anyone know the original 1982 Grand Banks 49 bilge pump manufacturer/model number, location, configuration, etc.

Looks like one near the fuel tanks, one just forwards of engines. There is a well just forward of the engines that seems to be for a bilge pump but this boat has a bilge pump sitting next to the well, not in it

Appreciate any info provided, new 1982 Grand Banks 49 owner
Hermchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Why not just put a pump which fits down in the well? You may have to cut a hole in the hull side to allow for exit of this pump's effluent, but so what? More pumping capacity is a good thing. The rated capacity of the four pumps in my 30-foot boat is 7300 gallons an hour. If Are you aware of where other pumps are in the boat?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Probably the well is for the regular use pump. The one higher up is probably the backup pump in case the well pump gets overwhelmed or breaks. I would put the largest pump in the well that will fit. You will likely have a hard time finding another pump that will match a 40 year old one.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #4
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
If you have the original operator’s manual that came with the boat when ordered, the bilge pump will be listed in the spec section.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
It really doesn’t matter what was there originally. Just put the best pump that will fit. Back when your boat was built it was very common for boat builders to install Rule 1500 pumps. They are pretty good and reasonably priced. When they eventually failed, and all pumps do, owners often replaced them with Rule 2000. Same size and a little more capacity.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #6

Thank you everyone ! I thought it was odd that the pump was placed outside the well, seems to me accommodating the pump is the whole purpose of the well ! There is nothing in the well now.

Original Grand Banks documentation for this specific boat specifies two Rule 1500’s.

Seems to me I should move the pump sitting outside the well to the well bottom and set the switch to turn on when the well gets close to being full. The switch is a Ultra Pump Mini UPS-06T

I am hoping there is a wood block glassed into the bottom of the well to screw the pump into. Does anyone know if this is the situation in 1982 Grand Banks 49 classics ?

Really appreciate everyones help. I just purchased this boat, really Bristol condition, twin Detroit 6V’s that surveyed excellent but finding a few issues like this one with the sump pump

Hopefully I can return help to the Forum in the future

Regards

Herm
Old 04-18-2021, 08:02 PM   #7
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Even if there's nothing to screw the pump down to, if the hose used is stiff enough and you can tie the hose down well enough, the pump will typically sit in place just fine without being screwed down. Especially in a sump where there's not a lot of room for it to move around.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #8
Bud

City: KEY COLONY BEACH
Vessel Name: Izzy Rose
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermchet View Post
Thank you everyone ! I thought it was odd that the pump was placed outside the well, seems to me accommodating the pump is the whole purpose of the well ! There is nothing in the well now.

Original Grand Banks documentation for this specific boat specifies two Rule 1500’s.

Seems to me I should move the pump sitting outside the well to the well bottom and set the switch to turn on when the well gets close to being full. The switch is a Ultra Pump Mini UPS-06T

I am hoping there is a wood block glassed into the bottom of the well to screw the pump into. Does anyone know if this is the situation in 1982 Grand Banks 49 classics ?

Really appreciate everyones help. I just purchased this boat, really Bristol condition, twin Detroit 6V’s that surveyed excellent but finding a few issues like this one with the sump pump

Hopefully I can return help to the Forum in the future

Regards

Herm

I have a grand banks 49 built in the 1980's and it has a rule 2000 in the well in the workshop room forward of the engine room.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #9
Bud

City: KEY COLONY BEACH
Vessel Name: Izzy Rose
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49
The rule 2000 and float switch is screwed to the fiberglass bottom hull. Don't really worry about going all the way through because it is very thick there 1" and if you were to drill all the way through it would just go inside the keel.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:21 PM   #10

Thank you everyone !
Old 04-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #11

Will let you know how it works out
Old 04-18-2021, 11:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If you are concerned about drilling holes in the bottom, top of the keel, just glass a block in. Get a piece of wood and coat it liberally with epoxy to seal it. Than take some thickened epoxy and glue it on the bottom of the well. Then screw to the block.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:11 AM   #13

Comodave

Agree that is a good idea. Only thing is that the boat is in the water and the sump well is wet. May be difficult to keep it dry long enough for adhesive to cure

I am hoping that when I empty the well there will be screw holes visible from the original installation.

As per Bud’s reply that area is thick and has the keel below so hopefully low risk

The other post about possibly using the hose to hold it in the well is good also also. A variation of that may be to make a bracket from stainless and mount the pump to it, securing the top end of the bracket somewhere outside the well
Old 04-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Agree that is a good idea. Only thing is that the boat is in the water and the sump well is wet. May be difficult to keep it dry long enough for adhesive to cure

My fix for that would be to make up the item to screw into (such as an epoxy coated block of wood), then use 4200 to adhere it to the boat. 4200 will cure under water, so if it gets wet before it's done curing, it won't matter.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #15
Guru

In post #5 I mentioned a particular make and model of bilge pump.
Today I have gotten two advertisements from Amazon for that exact pump. I have not done any searching for it.
I can only conclude that Amazon is reading my posts on Trawler Forum.
The following is a test.
Depends Underwear
I’m sure I have never typed the words Depends Underwear anywhere else in my life.
I’ll let you know what happens.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #16
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Today I have gotten two advertisements from Amazon for that exact pump. I have not done any searching for it.
The following is a test.
Depends Underwear
I’m sure I have never typed the words Depends Underwear anywhere else in my life.
There is NO doubt that my wife's smart phone (I am too smart to have one) is listening because she will type the first letter of a search string based on a recent or current conversation, and the rest of what we want to google is suddenly displayed. Que the theme from Twilight Zone.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #17

City: Port Townsend
Our 1983 GB42 has same small, deep well (approx 7" deep, 6" long, 3" wide) you describe in the ER forward of engines, with a normal Rule 1500 pump sitting just ahead of the well (also in a slightly lowered portion of the bilge, but wider and only about an inch deep). Float switch for the Rule is next to that pump. Well is too small for the usual bilge pumps. The original config had a manual lift pump with handle located under the salon entry step at lower helm and feed tube reaching into that deep well with a screen on the bottom. Worked fine except for the fact that you need to be there to pump... This year I updated it to an electric lift/bilge pump (Whale Gulper 320), a solid-state switch appropriately placed partway down inside the well, and a pick up tube/screen that go to the bottom of the well again. It's a good partner to the higher capacity pump; you might want to do similar.
tusen takk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The following is a test.
Depends Underwear
Just an update, I did receive ads for incontinence products but not Depends.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #19

Tusen Takk

Thanks ! My GB-49 is exactly the same ! The pickup hose from the manual pump is just laying open ended in the bilge near the well, there are some broken plastic pieces screwed into the edge of the well, perhaps originally intended to hold the pickup hose from the manual pump ?

I like your idea of converting to an automatic electric.

On my GB-49 I also have what they are calling a 110 volt bilge pump. Several horsepower electric motor/pump mounted on starboard side engine room wall well above the water line, connected with metal pipes which I still have to trace. There is what appears to be push button switch for it at lower helm station.

Anyone familiar with the purpose of this apparently manual controlled 110 volt bilge pump /

Thanks
Old 05-04-2021, 09:34 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Tusen Takk

Thanks ! My GB-49 is exactly the same ! The pickup hose from the manual pump is just laying open ended in the bilge near the well, there are some broken plastic pieces screwed into the edge of the well, perhaps originally intended to hold the pickup hose from the manual pump ?

I like your idea of converting to an automatic electric.

On my GB-49 I also have what they are calling a 110 volt bilge pump. Several horsepower electric motor/pump mounted on starboard side engine room wall well above the water line, connected with metal pipes which I still have to trace. There is what appears to be push button switch for it at lower helm station.

Anyone familiar with the purpose of this apparently manual controlled 110 volt bilge pump /

Thanks
The 110v pump is likely a large capacity emergency pump meant to be powered from the generator. That's basically a last resort to buy more time to resolve a major flooding incident.

Tags
bilge pump, bilge pump well, grand banks 49