1978 GB42 mast wiring for radar etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcdunbar

I am considering adding a radar to my GB42 and have seen many of the same vintage with radars mounted to the mast. Upon initial inspection I see no obvious way of running a wire from the base of the mast to above the lower helm. We have already replaced the headliner and do not want to remove it and then drill a ton of holes in the stringers.

Many thanks
David

I am considering adding a radar to my GB42 and have seen many of the same vintage with radars mounted to the mast. Upon initial inspection I see no obvious way of running a wire from the base of the mast to above the lower helm. We have already replaced the headliner and do not want to remove it and then drill a ton of holes in the stringers.

Many thanks
David

On a friend's 42, he brought the wiring along the rails, through the outside of the fibreglass flybridge enclosure, then between the layers to the front, where there was already a teak cover below other wiring penetrations to the space under the upper helm. Once the teak cover was penetrated, looked like it was the right place.
All you need is a cover for your headliner penetration. If you drill it from above first, to locate the hole, drilling from below can then be hidden by a small cover. You might even use the radar headset to hide the hole?

:Should be no need to drill any holes. There should be a pvc type tube running from center of o-head console aft to just under base of mast exiting outside the house under the mast. The exit point under the mast is covered by an aluminum box. (Remove the screws to get at the mast cables) You should have seen the tube when you had the headliner down. If you are lucky the last person to pull a wire through the tube left you a pull string. Be sure to do the same for the next guy.:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom