Old 04-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Bluffton SC
Vessel Name: Vanguard
Vessel Model: Naval Yachts XPM-78
XPM78 - Explorer Yacht

I am new to this forum but have been reading a long thread, now closed, about an FPB64. It seemed to have become a bit heated which is a pity as its a subject I am interested in.

My wife and I are building a similar vessel at Naval Yard in Antalya. I was inspired by a blog written by Wayne and Christine re their own XPM 78 - Mobius. I was 10 years deep sea and 45 years in the shipping industry, all of it commercial shipping bar a few months. We are all influenced by our backgrounds, me as much as anyone.

Searched for a boat for a couple of years that was suitable to take our family on adventures but never really found what we were looking for though Nordhavn, Fleming and Bering came close. I spoke at length to Sue at Berthon and came close also with an FPB then decided to build our own. 78 foot, low fuel consumption, stable, quick, short handed. It's going to cost us but is also my last hurrah so I don't really mind. I found the Mobius blog inspiring from a similarly inclined sailor. They are not for everyone but what is in this world?

My long suffering wife is an interior designer, FPB was an aesthetic step too far for her so now we get to compromise. The yard have worked with us to respecify along my commercial lines of thought and engineering bent. I'll post progress up as it happens. Hull plates are cut and on their way from Istanbul. Hello everyone. Chris
Chris Leigh-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Wow, Welcome aboard. Sounds like a huge project, try to stay sane..

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #3

City: Green Country
Heck of an intro. Post pics when you get a chance. Looking forward to following along and hearing about your equipment choices and yard experiences. Welcome aboard!
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thank you for the welcome. I have been working with the yard on the General Arrangement so thought it may be worth posting up. Drawings have Dennis at Artnautica to thank. I like this work, cost conscious, economic and stable.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Vanguard.pdf
Old 04-12-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Aluminium for decks and jigs just arrived. Laser cut in Istanbul then trucked to Antalya. They are removing oxide pre-welding. No going back now.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Aluminium for decks and hull jigs arrived. (I'm working on uploading skills!)
Attached Thumbnails
d50c280d-37a2-4e85-8315-db48fa4c5fa8.jpg   59aa951d-1110-4c2f-8555-822e3bea45c2.jpg   b47cf098-c007-4f7a-af7b-cad7064c0681.jpg  
Old 04-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Wow! Subscribed - thanks for posting & looking forward to seeing your journey. What are your cruising plans?
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Want to take my family to some out of the way places. Went to Murmansk once, over the North Cape so that's on the list maybe Svalbard before the ice melts. Carib for giggles, Nova Scotia though is probably more interesting. Med and West Coast of Europe, Wales and Scottish Isles, I heard Ireland was a good gig also. Not sure I'd go back to West Africa, bad memories. Japan is worth a long visit its so same-but-different. Aleutian Isles also. Got to do Straits of Megallan on the way back. Rio Platta in to the Pirana to re-live an old trip. Might visit the Falklands, maybe Porto Alegre, 300 miles up a lagoon or the Amazon, got to Manaus once, took for ever. Preferably anywhere you don't readily find tourists and they can't speak English.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:59 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Hello Chris and welcome. This will be a great thread, thank you for sharing your adventures.

I really like the concept of the boats such as FBP and Artnautica and yours. How will she be powered?
Old 04-13-2021, 01:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Jeff- thanks for the kind welcome. We need about 150bhp for 11 knots. She has a hull like a yacht with the keel cut off so is pretty slippery, hull speed is 12 or 12.5 (?). We will fit 2 times JDeere 4045 AFM 85 giving 100% redundancy, Tier 3 compliance in case we want to US Flag. I was an engineer so we decided to play with hybrids also. Need 2 by 30bhp high voltage DC for maneuvering but the twist is battery charging at a reasonable timeline so we will fit 2 by 70bhp at about 1200 shaft rpm (from memory) giving also 2 by 130 at 2300 rpm for charging when de-clutched from the shaft lines. Motors have a step down drive before the gearbox at 1.7:1. Specked a big LiFePO battery bank also. Battery tech is changing quickly with Electronic Vehicle development so I'd expect to change that out at some future date as new tech comes on stream with better power density. Power gear supplier is Praxis Automation, step down is Esco Power.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sorry Irene, I wrote your name was Jeff for some random reason. That 2.52 am for you!
Old 04-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #13
Guru

City: Vermont
What are your goals with the hybrid system, and what benefit do you see?
Old 04-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
What are your goals with the hybrid system, and what benefit do you see?
Twistedtree. Sir, the most honest reply would be that as an engineer I'm fascinated by new(ish) technologies so get the opportunity to play with that concept. It does allow us to dispose of generators (1 or 2 off). It gives extended very quiet if somewhat slow circa 4/5 knot operation. (We have an efficient hull which helps the batteries in this respect.) And its allowed us to implement as very responsive Dynamic Positioning system so I maintain peace and harmony with my wife and achieve virtual anchoring for short daylight periods at least until we build some trust. It will do this without a stern thruster or pods (hopefully).
Old 04-15-2021, 05:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Jigs are being installed to set the bulkheads and frames.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Still trying to get used to uploads.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Ahhh!
Attached Thumbnails
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-15 at 4.43.55 AM.jpeg  
Old 04-15-2021, 08:03 AM   #18
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Chris
If you've not done it already check out Dashew's website from 15 years or so ago covering the Windhorse concepts and build process. It also had twin JD 4045s. Will your vessel have twin keels, huge fuel capacity and thick glass similar to the FPBs?

What do you foresee for build time? Sounds fun and challenging.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Chris
If you've not done it already check out Dashew's website from 15 years or so ago covering the Windhorse concepts and build process. It also had twin JD 4045s. Will your vessel have twin keels, huge fuel capacity and thick glass similar to the FPBs?

What do you foresee for build time? Sounds fun and challenging.
Thanks Sunchaser. Their FPB web site www.Setsail.com and free on line books have been inspiration for me in finally deciding which way to go. Time has it though that no more are being made but it seems to have set off a following with new designs along allied lines form Circa Marine, Arksen (love the marketing) and Artnautica. We chose the Artnautica design and Naval Yachts as our yard. Equipment wise we can specify whatever we believe works with our expectations. They have been very flexible only pushing back when the challenge is pertinent (I can blindside myself on occasions). This Trawler Forum always has been one of my favorites. So much salted experience freely given, pay it forward seems to be the ethos and its very helpful to the less than initialed in finding their way.

Yes twin keels, 7000 miles in the tanks at 10 knots with 20% reserve last time we calculated though I've added a bit of weight so lets say 6000. We will use the water maker to ballast compensate as the fuel is used up. Glass is toughened and laminated, pretty thick, ¾" from memory and bonded in to the frames, none opening except for deck hatches that use the same glass. I build homes local to Charleston SC in a Wind Zone, I'd equate it to Hurricane rated and then a good extra margin from the structural thickness. It may crack but should not burst. We also down angled the helm screen to limit glare and help the HVAC a bit. Build time is 18-22 months, not sure about that though.

Regards from a Cat in the USBVI, no wind so motoring everywhere this week.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #20
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Sounds like a dream project for an engineer or any boat geek. I like your management style: cruise the BVI on a cat while the work is underway.

I look forward to following the adventure.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminium hull, explorer yacht, fpb, naval yachts