Old 07-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #141
Dav
Veteran Member

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Leigh-Jones View Post
Flybridge is shown with windows but these will not be fitted as we'd cook.
Thank heavens!

I do not quite get this "trend" of building a flybridge and then converting it into a indoor space. I must be missing something. It is not like these boats are lacking interior space to begin with. With enclosed flybridge, there is no comfy spot left to spend outside while underway.

Sensible choice!

BTW regarding the solar panels, I would consider once more before getting flex pv panels. They're handy, but they seem to have very limited lifetime in practice, plus they cost quite a bit more than nonflexible ones.
Dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #142
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav View Post
Thank heavens!

I do not quite get this "trend" of building a flybridge and then converting it into a indoor space. I must be missing something. It is not like these boats are lacking interior space to begin with. With enclosed flybridge, there is no comfy spot left to spend outside while underway.

Sensible choice!
Depending on intended cruising areas, boat equipment (air conditioning, etc.) and what other outside spaces you may have, I can see the desire for a higher vantage point without needing to be outside. Basically upper and lower pilothouse. Of course, that problem could also be solved with just 1 well placed pilothouse.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:21 AM   #143
Veteran Member

City: Bluffton SC
We have now nearly completed framing the hull. Stringers were added lastly so she is ready for her final skin. Typical building practice is 5 by 50mm stringers 400mm on centre. (ref: Gerr - Elements of Boat Strength). We increased this to 10 by 100, 300mm on centre at little extra cost as that's the most common plate thickness we found locally. Aluminium is hard to find these days of Covid. Should make for a very stiff hull form.

We had to also add a little additional buoyancy to the stern (2.3T) on account of all the equipment we stuffed in the engine room (batteries, mainly). So it should be easier to step on from the dockside being 600mm wider at the swim platform. (Right hand image.) Not sure how this will affect water flow, need to calculate that still. I need to cure my habit of adding stuff.

Visiting family in Wales,UK, its good to get away from the summer sun of South Carolina for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
fdbd63be-0fb7-49e4-856f-dee9f5697555-1.jpg   2518435f-3886-4479-a55a-2c8b716d507b.jpg  
Chris Leigh-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminium hull, explorer yacht, fpb, naval yachts