Old 11-14-2022, 01:57 PM   #181
Veteran Member

City: Bluffton SC
Vessel Name: Vanguard
Vessel Model: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Shore power connection for hybrid yachts

We have had a merry dance designing a shore power system for Vanguard. The trouble was worldwide applicability (110/230/400VAC, 50/60Hz) and charging 2 large 60kWh battery banks for the Hybrid drive. This needed three phase connections plus single phase when thats all available. Anyhow, I'm sure we will not be the last folk facing these problems so have attached a link to the description and drawing if anyone has similar issues. Apologies if the link breaks any editorial rules, it was well meant.

Chris

https://www.exploreryacht.com/post/s...dwide-yachting
Attached Thumbnails
NP21-045 Vanguard Electrical layout Rev.B 2022-02-21 PP (1).jpg  
Chris Leigh-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:35 AM   #182
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Tremendous amount of thought went into this. Thanks for posting. A education. Are there existing standards from the various societies such as ABYC, Norske, Lloyds etc. that apply to hybrid propulsion and having this much electrical energy onboard ?Do you envision difficulties with insurance?
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:35 PM   #183
Veteran Member

City: Bluffton SC
Vessel Name: Vanguard
Vessel Model: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Tremendous amount of thought went into this. Thanks for posting. A education. Are there existing standards from the various societies such as ABYC, Norske, Lloyds etc. that apply to hybrid propulsion and having this much electrical energy onboard ?Do you envision difficulties with insurance?
I have yet to find out Hippocampus, how the insurance market views the big power batteries. Its a next year before launch task, my lack of experience on a 24m hull might be a bigger issue! The ones we have installed from Praxis have marine approval (DNV) and isolation in their own containment with its own exhaust, cooling and alarm system so we have a degree of protection in case of runaway. We have also split the bank in to two times 60kWh for the same reason. If the vessel was within Class it would require complete battery room isolation which is near impossible on a huller size <24M. I would be very nervous of just creating big LiPO banks from multiple modular units without consideration of runaway and its effects. House batteries (20kWH MG Systems) are also isolated for the same reason.
Chris Leigh-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminium hull, explorer yacht, fpb, naval yachts