Old 02-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mischief Maker
Vessel Model: Uniflite CC 37
Uniflite 37 CC

Hello, any other Uniflite 37 Coastal Cruisers out there? we are in Seattle, would like to chat. Buying an 82 out of Portland.
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:32 PM   #2

City: Keyport
Coastal cruier 37

Good evening Mischief,

I am heading to Seattle this Wednesday to look at the 37 Coastal Cruiser which I believe is owned by the same owner as yours. They had one in Seattle and one in Portland. This is the 1981CC Vessel Surprise. It has twin Perkins.

If you would share your thoughts on your vessel I would greatly appreciate it.

I plan on cruising the Puget Sound, Inside passage and West Coast of Oregon, Washington and Vancouver Island. I have cruised and commercial fished these areas in many vessels.

What are your thoughts on seaworthiness? Are they top heavy with pronounced roll? How about following seas? I am not sure of your propulsion. This has twin 120 HP Perkins running about 8 knots cruise speed. What kind of performance do you see?

Your help is appreciated as I make a choice. I love the classic Uniflites and Tollycrafts.

Happy Cruising,

Brian
Bachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:19 AM   #4
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Welcome Bachus! Tolly's and Uni's are two of my favorite vintage cruisers.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:20 AM   #5

City: Keyport
Vessell search

I appreciate the warm welcome everyone!

I am in the market for a new to me vessel. I live on the Puget Sound with a 40 foot slip. I commercial fished off the Washington coast and SE Alaskain the 70's-80's. I have owned and operated vessels 16-60 feet all of my life and currently own a 38" sailboat and 24 foot fishing cuddy cabin. My prior girl was a stunning 48' sport fisher.

I am looking for a 34-40 foot powerboat, 400 total hp or less and $100K or less(for insurance purposes). 1-2 stateroom is fine. Diesel only please. Fishing room in the cockpit for my son and I and a nice heated salon for the admiral. The Admiral insists on heat at anchor.

We love to cruise as well as fish with cruising the primary focus. We cruise the Puget Sound, Inside passage as well as the west coast of Washington, Oregon and BC. I have a 24 foot dedicated fishing boat to use if needed but want the luxury of both.

I prefer a semi displacement hull with 10-15 knot cruise speed. 80% I run at displacement speed but 10-15 Knots is nice when needed. It must have a lower helm and a flybridge is much preferred.

I have no problems with older, well maintained or restored boats, in fact I prefer them. I have gone the wooden route and as much as I love them they deserve a boathouse in the PNW and I don't have one.

I'm focusing on Tollycrafts, Uniflites, Nordlands, Canoe Cove, Little Hoquiams, Grand Banks, Defever's and such. No projects, been there, done that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Brian
Bachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:46 AM   #6
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachus View Post
I appreciate the warm welcome everyone!

I am in the market for a new to me vessel. I live on the Puget Sound with a 40 foot slip. I commercial fished off the Washington coast and SE Alaskain the 70's-80's. I have owned and operated vessels 16-60 feet all of my life and currently own a 38" sailboat and 24 foot fishing cuddy cabin. My prior girl was a stunning 48' sport fisher.

I am looking for a 34-40 foot powerboat, 400 total hp or less and $100K or less(for insurance purposes). 1-2 stateroom is fine. Diesel only please. Fishing room in the cockpit for my son and I and a nice heated salon for the admiral. The Admiral insists on heat at anchor.

We love to cruise as well as fish with cruising the primary focus. We cruise the Puget Sound, Inside passage as well as the west coast of Washington, Oregon and BC. I have a 24 foot dedicated fishing boat to use if needed but want the luxury of both.

I prefer a semi displacement hull with 10-15 knot cruise speed. 80% I run at displacement speed but 10-15 Knots is nice when needed. It must have a lower helm and a flybridge is much preferred.

I have no problems with older, well maintained or restored boats, in fact I prefer them. I have gone the wooden route and as much as I love them they deserve a boathouse in the PNW and I don't have one.

I'm focusing on Tollycrafts, Uniflites, Nordlands, Canoe Cove, Little Hoquiams, Grand Banks, Defever's and such. No projects, been there, done that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Brian
Brian - this is one of the best self-introductions I've read on TF. Gives a good sense of your experience and what you are looking for. I would encourage you to post something similar in the Welcome Mat and/or Boats Wanted section. Reviving an older thread may not have the reach you're looking for.

BTW - I think it cool that after a lifetime of being on the water, your idea of kicking-back is to be on the water.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 07:09 AM   #7
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Welcome, Brian.

From your description, an original Mainship 34 might fit at the lower end of your size goal. We had an '87 Mk III and thought it was a really decent boat.

-Chris
Old 01-17-2023, 07:17 AM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The 34’ old Mainship is a narrow boat compared to the Uniflite.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mischief Maker
Vessel Model: Uniflite CC 37
Hi Brian. Our 37 CC is powered by twin 120 Lehmans. She cruises comfortably around 8 to 8.5 knts, consuming approx. 3 gallons per hour. Following seas at 3ft or more can be a challenge. Depends a lot on the time between swells. I haven't been out in over 20 knt winds, as it can be uncomfortable for the crew. I always drive from the upper helm as visibility is way better. Previous owner had her out fishing off the columbia, and said he wouldn't do that again. I don't know the conditions. There are some in a fishing fleet in Alaska, seem to do well. I don't feel it is top heavy. She is a bit bouncey when crossing big (3+ft) wakes. I have never felt insecure or unsafe with her. Max speed seems to be around 11 knts. Good sound and sturdy boat. I did install a bow thruster so we could dock in the constant broadside winds at Anacortes. Also, check out the Northwest Uniflite owners site.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:34 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Mischief, I like your signature line.

You do know the difference between a Fairy Tale and a Sea Story, right. A Fairy Tale starts out “once upon a time”. A Sea Story starts out “no sh*t this really happened”.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote