Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #21

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Only concern is the Detroit has 8700 hours.
I would not worry about that at all. Detroits of that vintage (assuming its a series 71) are easy and inexpensive to rebuild, and Cullen Diesel is right in Nanaimo.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Yes she is; Nanaimo. In excellent shape; exceptional in fact. We offered but couldn't agree on a price. Only concern is the Detroit has 8700 hours.
Do you recall which Detroit? A good shop can rebuild in place and give you virtually new engine for $3-4k per cylinder (as a rough guideline for a complete re-do) depending if turbo'd etc.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Do you recall which Detroit? A good shop can rebuild in place and give you virtually new engine for $3-4k per cylinder (as a rough guideline for a complete re-do) depending if turbo'd etc.
It was a 6-71. It had been impeccably serviced - as had the entire boat - and was in great shape. I did get some rough estimates for the rebuild, as well as repowering with John Deere, Cummins, etc.

The repower options were attractive due to improved efficiency, reduced noise level, and no leaking.

The Nanaimo Tolly has a lot of appeal, but from our perspective it didn't work as the cost of purchase was too high to accommodate the rebuild/repower without ultimately taking a huge loss against the market value of the boat.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #24

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
It was a 6-71. It had been impeccably serviced - as had the entire boat - and was in great shape. I did get some rough estimates for the rebuild, as well as repowering with John Deere, Cummins, etc.

The repower options were attractive due to improved efficiency, reduced noise level, and no leaking.
You might want to reconsider the repower.

When I bought Island Eagle, she had a 40+ year old Detroit 6-110. I expected that I would have to repower. When I was doing my research, I talked to a guy at the company that makes parts for the 6-110. I told him that I was considering repowering, for basically the same reasons you are.

The dude listened intently, and then he said "Son, how old are you?". It was a bit unexpected but I answered "Forty". He then goes "Son, forty years from now you'll probably be dead, but that engine will still be running."

After ten years of ownership, I'd say that he's most probably right.

If I found a good deal on a boat with a 6-71 in it, I'd leave that engine right there. It'll run for another 20 or 30 years with no problem. The fuel savings will not pay for a new engine unless you circumnavigate. Parts are dirt-cheap. And best of all it's totally mechanical and you probably have at least one brother-in-law or cousin who's a Detroit mechanic.

Just my two cents,

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
You might want to reconsider the repower.

When I bought Island Eagle, she had a 40+ year old Detroit 6-110. I expected that I would have to repower. When I was doing my research, I talked to a guy at the company that makes parts for the 6-110. I told him that I was considering repowering, for basically the same reasons you are.

The dude listened intently, and then he said "Son, how old are you?". It was a bit unexpected but I answered "Forty". He then goes "Son, forty years from now you'll probably be dead, but that engine will still be running."

After ten years of ownership, I'd say that he's most probably right.

If I found a good deal on a boat with a 6-71 in it, I'd leave that engine right there. It'll run for another 20 or 30 years with no problem. The fuel savings will not pay for a new engine unless you circumnavigate. Parts are dirt-cheap. And best of all it's totally mechanical and you probably have at least one brother-in-law or cousin who's a Detroit mechanic.

Just my two cents,

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Good comments Scott.

Our fundamental issue wasn't rebuild vs repower, it was the high asking price, well above market value, that the owner wouldn't move on very much. Even if it was a low hour engine it would have been way too high for the market.

In our research we did find that the views of the Detroit are very much in line with your comments. The repower options I mentioned were just part of our due diligence.

After hearing so many comments about the noise level of the Detroit, I was pleasantly surprised at how moderate the sound actually was. In fact a mechanic told me that in unbiased tests, the Detroit is not really loud in comparison to other makes, but that there was a whine that seemed to enhance the sound. (I didn't notice it.)

But I will say that the sound of a Detroit is beautiful on the ears! Far more pleasing than anything else I've heard.

Anyway, we moved on from the Tolly, and purchased a Lugger equipped Nordic Tugs 42 instead. If someone does buy that Tolly, they will have a very, very nice vessel.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
But I will say that the sound of a Detroit is beautiful on the ears! Far more pleasing than anything else I've heard.

Anyway, we moved on from the Tolly, and purchased a Lugger equipped Nordic Tugs 42 instead.
A great boat for your part of the planet! The 42' is my favorite NT. (Big for 42')
Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #27
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Eie mateies...

Dem dam roven pirites done hyjacked dis here Tolly tread! Battten dwn da hatchees, mizen da masts, and fly da flag o' retreat... errrr attack! Tiz Tolly luvers chanch ta regain cntrol o' dese sees. Alll Tollys ahed worp spd!
Eieeee!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #28
Guru

Thanks Walt!

So sorry Art!!!! I think you're anti NT!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #29
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35

What would Tolly say?
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #30
Art
Guru

“TOLLY POEM" For: Robert Merland Tollefson

March 2009 I mailed two personalized bound copies of this poem to Gordon Graham... Tollycraft Corp's Lead Purchasing Agent for decades; during Tolly's hayday!

Gordon and wife Patsy hand delivered Mr. Tolly his copy.

Poem By, Art – Owner of 1977 Tollycraft, 34’ tri cabin with a very sunny deck, named, “The Office”

"TOLLY LIFE - AGELESS DESIGN"

Tolly grew rugged in Idaho snow; from very young age having mind on the go
Wisdom a factor runs strong in his genes; with good life to live, age builds means.
Respect and straight thought, passion for all; Tolly made living a time to stand tall.
Boats caught his attention, then attention caught fire; Tolly located his true heart’s desire.
Singing and acting he played for a while; but boats for dear Tolly stayed top of the pile.
Designing and building was study he chose; the more he thought boats, the higher thoughts rose.
No matter world times of depression so full; Tolly was always ready to pull.
A mag gave him plans for boat vessel to build; soon his life needs would start to be filled.
Wars come and go, as we all know; tis people as Tolly that finish the show.
Corvette boats, buoy tenders, tugs play a part; their captains, like Tolly, steer strong from their heart.
In war-times of duress, with hope at a low; sweet ice-cream for workers helps everything flow.
Lumber and millwork made Tolly do well; but boats were his passion, that he could tell.
Sudden wind blew cross his lumber shop tour; flames liked high toward ruin for sure.
He then caught insurance, dreaming sea-tales for comfort; twas his capability, to turn ruin triumphant.
Soon there were wisps of waves in his mind; he realized for certain twas time for sea-kind.
Up lifted he felt, knowing full well; as his own boat-filled ruler, success would foretell.
So, to boat designs Tolly entered his might; feeling quite rightly Tolly boats would take flight.
He grumbled, he garnered, Tolly worked his butt off; associates gathered to make his landing soft.
With effort and smarts he planned Tolly boat toys; each meant to be friendly for all women and big boys.
Outboard then inboard, in wood and then glass; 14 then 20 then 60 foot class.
Tolly and Monk, designers dejure; made big ones and small ones, grand selections for sure.
Months turned to years with decades to follow; Tolly’s great boats filled many a sea hollow.

Next thing Tolly knew a following grew tight; each asking him louder to continue his flight.
So keeping his premise of pay as you go; Tolly made commitment to let everyone know.
My Tollys are fashioned with pleasure in mind; fear not their built backbone, seaworthy you’ll find.
Humming along, his boat factory built; Tolly his mates with associates felt.
Offers came in from others that build; asking Tolly to join with their guild.
Carefully, methodically he searched with due diligence; through all of their figures and factory significance.
Each time does he find that when all the smoke clears; they are not as they premised, their books holding smears.
So back to his shop with sea waves in mind; each time to feel comfort as he worked with like kind.
One Tolly then another rolled through the front door, it felt like forever occurring for sure.
They patted each Tolly on the rump as it passed; giving boats ingenuity, via love that could last.
First they built wood, then built with glass; as all things traverse life forms, all eventually pass.
Decades ran by, many years of success; Tolly felt sure they could sell outright, creating no mess.
So sell it he did to a group with big funds; thinking they could play Tolly, with more decades of runs.

Too soon due to items that can hobble a giant; the cost of boat building became highly defiant.
Accountants played numbers, builders they built and salesmen they sold; no matter the efforts, Tollycraft’s end was foretold.
There were hiccups and belches, grand tries galore; all meant to save the once great Tolly store.
No matter how inventive, no matter how smart; no person got Tollycraft a financial restart.
Deep sadness was felt by all true believers; unfortunate conditions placed Tollycraft at hand of receivers.
Once a great effort comes to end of its line; tis best to take comfort from days of past time.
For years Robert Tollefson and friends broke new molds; of boats toward perfection as their designing unfolds.
Tolly boats changed yacht market’s complexion, with many fine seamen telling great recollection.
Tolly and Monk with all of their friends; never looked back as they prospered toward Tolly boat ends.
Now that it’s over, great memories galore; remember not Tolly nor Monk are who closed the door.
Six thousand five hundred Tollys or more; came to existence to travel the shore.
For keeping them going and in good repair, tis a fellow named Gordon whose always right there.

Great structure, design and rugged sea worthy; make all Tolly owners quite ready to survey.
Tolly’s true meaning at end of this show; a meaning deep seated, a reason to know.
On travel, the Tollys for all owners’ pleasure; a life of sea views toward great fun and leisure.
A century from now when we here are gone; there will be classic prized Tollys motoring on.
Great results from Tolly’s system is so simple to see; good endeavors are empowered by the operative word WE!

Successful regards, Mr. Tollefson. You are one great boat builder!

Art, a proud Tolly owner.

BOATS FOREVER!

Of necessity and for simplicity, floating devices were utilized by humans for transportation purposes long before the wheel was devised.

Via human ingenuity, intelligent boat designs became the natural outcropping.

Of necessity and for pleasure, floating devices that carry all manner of items will continue to be one of the most often used and intricately designed transportation devices.

Of pleasure, “power boating” and “sail boating” will always remain as one of the best recreational devices ever available, bar none!

By design, Tollycraft will always be a renowned name in boats.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #31

City: california
Vessel Name: Kidd's Play
Vessel Model: Tolly/Adventurer
42' Tolly Shaft Log

Hello I'm new to this site and need some help. We have a 1962 42' Tollycraft Adventurer. Lapstrack wood hull.

I need to find a set of blueprints for the boat. I know what I'm asking is a long shot, but I gotta at least try. Does anybody know where to get a set of blueprints for my boat? I tried Tolly (now Resource International), but they said they probably wouldn't have a set.

I need to make some costly repairs and would like to pre-manufacturer some of the parts from a blueprint.
thekidd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #32
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidd63 View Post
Hello I'm new to this site and need some help. We have a 1962 42' Tollycraft Adventurer. Lapstrack wood hull.

I need to find a set of blueprints for the boat. I know what I'm asking is a long shot, but I gotta at least try. Does anybody know where to get a set of blueprints for my boat? I tried Tolly (now Resource International), but they said they probably wouldn't have a set.

I need to make some costly repairs and would like to pre-manufacturer some of the parts from a blueprint.
Yo kidd...

Congrats on owning a Tolly.

Guess you spoke with Gordon Graham, Resources International founder and current owner. He was Tollycraft's lead purchasing agent for a couple decades during Tolly's manufacturing heyday. I recommend calling to speak with Gordy if you haven't?? He's not too great at email communication!

Sign in to the forum (its free) and start a thread with your request on Tollycraft Forum. http://www.tollyclub.com/forums/forum.php There are a bunch of “decades ownership” Tolly gurus that do their best to answer needs. Also, use the search feature and place appropriate words or questions. Threre is a plethora of Tolly knowledge stored in the archives,

No matter how well manufactured a decades old boat was, it all has to do with care given by PO as well as break down conditions that simply, quietly develop. All types of boat building materials can get funky in areas as their age progresses... and... wood is surely susceptible to its many frailties. That said; dilapidated wood can always be removed and repaired with new wood!

Wish I had more to provide you regarding your 1962 42' Tollycraft Adventurer...

Happy Boating Daze & Good Luck!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: newport
Tollcraft hulls?

Anyone know if a 73 Tollycraft 40 tri cabin is cored, Deck, hull side or bottom??
Craig Schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #34
Art
Guru

Craig - I'll ask for you in the Tolly forum. I also suggest you call Gordon Graham at Tolly Classified Home Page. If no answer... call again. He does not return all calls. He has a wealth of Tolly knowledge.

Gordon was Managing Purchasing Officer for Tollycraft for a couple decades. I think 1973 was during his term.

I believe 1973 40' hull, transom, and stringers have no wood. Stringers' FRP is laced into hull and dense foam was used in them for form only. Decks probably have balsa wood core with rigid top and bottom FRP. Superstructure exterior walls likely solid FRP... but, maybe be cored too.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Thanks Art. Its looking like an old Tolly is in my near future
Old 02-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #36
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Schreck View Post
Thanks Art. Its looking like an old Tolly is in my near future
I've posted questions in Tolly Forum... post answer here if/when received.

Why beating head against wall; this thrust upon you in estate or something??

Ya should be smilen!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Art... after 30 od years in the boat repair biz you would think that I knew better, I stumbled on it a few weeks ago and couldn't sleep until I went to contract ... so now I have to adjust the learning curve and get working on her on my dime.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #38
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Schreck View Post
Art... after 30 od years in the boat repair biz you would think that I knew better, I stumbled on it a few weeks ago and couldn't sleep until I went to contract ... so now I have to adjust the learning curve and get working on her on my dime.
Weellll - Congrats!!!

Knowing boats as you do she must be in pretty good shape. Good $$$ deal I imagine?? Tolly's grow on ya quickly! Mr. Tolly built some fine pleasure cruisers. What's her power train?
Old 02-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Thanks Art... she has twin 6BT Cummins
Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #40
Art
Guru

Hey Craig - Here are first two replies from Tolly Forum.. You ought to join! I still recommend calling Tolly Guru - Gordon Graham... mentioned in post 34.
Cheers! Art

"Ours is a Dec 22/72: No core in the hull. Decks are balsa cored. Cabin sides, bulk heads and main cabin furniture is very good quality marine mahogany. Stringers are fiberglass with foam core with wood below engine mounts. Fore and aft cabin furniture is fir ply with paper surface."

And

"No core in the hull. Cabin sides and tops have plywood core. Side and fore decks also have plywood I think, not sure."