Question about Newburyport 37 Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyr

Hello,
New Member here from Ohio...Thanks for letting me post.
I am thinking about buying a 1986 37 foot Newburyport Trawler.
She has a single Lehman 135 w/5000 hours

Do not know who the actual Manufacturer of this boat is?
Any information appreciated here.
the competency of the builder?
good or bad about the vessels?

I have seen online that it may be a Hershine Marine built vessel.
If so I cannot seem to find information on this builder either.
Again please help.

I know nothing about Newburyport Trawlers but if I had to make a guess, I would wager that Newburyport Yacht Sales bought a generic Taiwanese Tub from a builder and slapped their own label on it so Hershine doesn't seem unreasonable. You might look on the power panel or look for a metal plaque that identifies the builder. Just yesterday, I noticed a boat with the Great Lakes Yacht brand on it which was built by Chung Hwa and I believe sold by Great Lakes Yachts.

There is a poster on TF that has been rebuilding a Hershine, maybe a 37'. I believe his moniker is GreatLaker221.

I just posted on another forum about this boat. If this is the eBay boat, it is being offered by BoatAngel and the diesel is dead. Looks just like an Albin.

It was surveyed recently according to the listing. If you can get another Lehman or get this one running, the rest of the boat looks clean.

Last edited:
You are correct, Hershine made the Newburryport brand. The Albins made in Taiwan were also made by Hershine. Boat manufacturing in Taiwan in the 80's was different than what we think of. The hulls were popped from a few molds. Many brands share the same hull. Next they towed the hulls to a small yard and a family or clan did the bilge, engine, tanks etc. No evidence of tools other than polyester resin, Csm, hammer ring nails and hand saws. Then the wood work was done by a finish carpenter in the Hershine yard. Good materials, fast, sloppy workmanship. Except for finish work. If you want to see a total refit of a Hershine, check out my blog below. The layout is different but all the fittings and hull are the same. Common problems are fuel tanks rusted, rot around windows. They are good boat, good materials just need good maintence.

Unless you are willing to chase down all of the leaks, be prepared to sleep in a slicker. That said, the hull is solid fiberglass and built like a tank. They are decent riding boats too.

Nice blog Greatlaker - a lot of time and work there. I'm thinking Corian / whatever for my counters over the winter.

I just posted on another forum about this boat. If this is the eBay boat, it is being offered by BoatAngel and the diesel is dead. Looks just like an Albin.

It was surveyed recently according to the listing. If you can get another Lehman or get this one running, the rest of the boat looks clean.

////////////////////////
Thanks for the post.
I have to ask how or why you think the lehman is dead?
If you have exact knowledge of this boat please get with me or post the engine specifics.
I understand 5,000 hrs is a lot but please expand a lot on your above post.
thanks in advance

Yup - my bad on the note. My apology.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom