Old 04-15-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: St. Petersburg, FL
Vessel Name: Liberdade
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Ocean Alexander

New to the group and really appreciate all of the great information.

We're building a new O/A 54 Trawler and are still sorting through many decisions as to equipment. I would be happy to hear from other owners to learn from your experiences, while gladly sharing mine.
Just Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
RE: Ocean Alexander

Welcome to the Forum, Bob!

I had an Ocean Alex 42 Sedan years ago and loved it. My wife still says it was our best boat.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: St. Petersburg, FL
Vessel Name: Liberdade
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54

It's nice to hear of one more happy O/A owner, one of the things that drew us to the brand originaly was their reputation for a well built product.

Here are are a few pictures of the boat under construction, we're due to get some updated ones in a the next week, so I'll upload more.

In addition to reading as many of the threads as I can, I'm going to ask some specific questions under the appropriate subject headers. One of my next items is to select my electronics and I have some questions about radar. Thank you for your replies, this seems like a pretty helpful group.

How do I separate paragraphs in my posts? I can't seem to get them to show up.
Attached Thumbnails
liberdad 2.jpg   liberdad 1.jpg  
Just Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Ocean Alexander

Quote:
Just Bob wrote:
It's nice to hear of one more happy O/A owner, one of the things that drew us to the brand originaly was their reputation for a well built product. Here are are a few pictures of the boat under construction, we're due to get some updated ones in a the next week, so I'll upload more. In addition to reading as many of the threads as I can, I'm going to ask some specific questions under the appropriate subject headers. One of my next items is to select my electronics and I have some questions about radar. Thank you for your replies, this seems like a pretty helpful group. How do I separate paragraphs in my posts? I can't seem to get them to show up.
*Do a double return at the end of one paragraph, thereby leaving a one line space between them. When you figure out how to indent the beginning of a paragraph, please let me know. They indent when typing, and then go away after submitting.

Welcome to the site. That's a beautiful boat you have there.

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 15th of April 2011 09:35:14 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #5

just bought a 1981 ao flush deck. 43' the 1981 with the port holes at the rear of the salon. any one where alot of info is at on this year boat?
giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #6

Ocean Alexander

giggles here,

on the oa 43 1982 (they registered it as an 1982, but it has the topside of the 1981) is there any reason the rudder should go way to one side (port) and go just a little to the other (starboard). not sure how to center this or is this normal for the oa 43? any help would be excellent.* the steering is hydrolic. capilano, the one with the flow valve.

-- Edited by giggles on Sunday 15th of May 2011 01:22:12 PM
giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #7

Is the rudder really only moving like you say, or is it the rudder indicator? Can you see the ram and the rudder post? See how far it moves from there. My boat has a cable that stops it from moving beyond limits in one direction. The other direction is limited by the ram being fully pulled in. More of a chance that the indicator is the problem. The only other thing I can think of is that there may be bypass valve slightly open. That would keep the ram from extending fully.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #8

City: Seattle
Ocean Alexander Yachts - Parts & Service

I'd love to know your experience finding parts for your OA. Mostly aftermarket? Have you had luck finding OEM parts from an East Coast distributor? Have you ever purchased directly from OA?
SeastheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Seasthe day

What parts are you referring to? Virtually everything one commonly needs on a larger boat comes from the OEM supplier - things like engine parts, filters, plumbing, electrical etc.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I have an OA 50 Mk 1, 1981. It has a great layout and about the only thing I would change is headroom in some of the doorways. The 54 looks to be fairly similar styling, and I'm looking forward to following the build.

I did buy some 'Ocean Alexander' name plates from the dealer in Seattle. Easy process. But most things I've needed have come from other suppliers or have been custom fabricated.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I have an OA 50 Mk 1, 1981. It has a great layout and about the only thing I would change is headroom in some of the doorways. The 54 looks to be fairly similar styling, and I'm looking forward to following the build.

I did buy some 'Ocean Alexander' name plates from the dealer in Seattle. Easy process. But most things I've needed have come from other suppliers or have been custom fabricated.
His 54 should be completed by now, the original post was 3 years ago.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #12

OA parts

So for things like engine parts, filters, plumbing, electrical etc. you're calling the OEM manufacturer directly for orders.

For example, customer today needs to replace step light bulbs. Toshiba A7972, T2 1/4 wedge base, 2 watt, 28 volt discontinued by the manufacturer. Trying to find a compatible replacement?

#2040 MINIATURE BULB GLASS WEDGE BASE, #2040 MINIATURE, #2040, 2040, #2040 LAMP, #2040 BULB, EIKO# 40128
Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
His 54 should be completed by now, the original post was 3 years ago.
Oops!

So, OP didn't come back... A pity.

Seas - hunt around for an LED retrofit option. Incandescent bulbs are 'so yesterday' and watt devouring monsters to boot.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. Can anyone help me better understand replacing light bulbs for overhead fixtures and step lights? Need to replace a T2 1/4 wedge base, 2 watt, 28 volt. It says 2 watt max on the fixture and closest I have found is 10w and 20w, are the watt and voltage requirements crucial? Found online, T-2 1/4 MINIATURE LAMP - 9/32" (7.5MM) DIAMETER
AUTO LIGHT BAR HALOGEN 12.8V 10.5MSCP WEDGE BASE

And replacements for..
goes in 20 watt max fixture 12V

overall length 1.25
prong length .310
prong dia. .027
bulb dia rounded part .315

Electrical panel bulb
12V 3 watt
metal base dia. .587
distance between contacts center to center .280
total bulb height 1.355
widest point on glass .715
mounting pins .075 from bottom (flat portion not including contacts) located 180 degrees apart both at same place with respect to bottom, pins about .040 tall
Old 09-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Seas, not to be cruel, but try posting your own post so you won't be accused of thread hijacking.....BTW Welcome.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote