Ocean 40?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks like a well kept boat for 1985. I am not familiar with the brand. That being said, most boats of that era are less than half that price. If everything is as new as it sounds it may be worth a look.
My boat has twin Lehmans. It doesn't go anywhere fast.

Last edited:
Hi, there was an Ocean brand of boats built in the UK by Aquafibre but that boat in the photo looks like a Taiwanese Trader or C-Kip.
Nice looking boat but a little too much exterior woodwork = upkeep for my taste.
I recommend an extremely thorough survey (including machinery) before putting your hand in your pocket.

Hi, there was an Ocean brand of boats built in the UK by Aquafibre but that boat in the photo looks like a Taiwanese Trader or C-Kip.
Nice looking boat but a little too much exterior woodwork = upkeep for my taste.
I recommend an extremely thorough survey (including machinery) before putting your hand in your pocket.
Thanks mate - I completely agree with the survey stuff. She's definitely a "leaky teaky" Taiwanese trawler and in my research, the brand names were flowing freely out of there in the eighties. In reality, there were probably a handful of moulds being built in a few shipyards under various monikers.

No worries. You know the old soldiers maxim 'Time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted' or if your non military 'Measure twice, cut once'.

When we were looking to change I took a millboard along and between my partner and I we listed all the things we each wanted, then when we looked at boats we checked which came closest to our money, then which came next that could be fixed up.
First start with your proposed cruising ground and that'll tell you what hull shape you will be best suited with.
Just be patient and good luck in your search.

The owner, present or past, seems to have put some serious money into the boat, which of course is easy to do.The trick is to find out how many more big ticket items remain to be done.

The asking price seems to be reasonable assuming it gets a good report.The decks have been replaced/upgraded/glassed in different sections. I would check the decks and fuel tanks very carefully.

The boat has serious ground tackle, though not sure why you would pay for a stainless steel pick. A bit of bling I suppose.(edit: seems all Ultra anchors are stainless steel)

Boats in Sydney are selling fast, definitely a sellers market, or was a few months ago.

Last edited:
Don't recognize the brand name, but do recognize nearly everything else about the boat's design and finish. As noted above, she appears to be a lovely example of the 1980s Taiwan diaspora. Tempting!

Don't recognize the brand name, but do recognize nearly everything else about the boat's design and finish. As noted above, she appears to be a lovely example of the 1980s Taiwan diaspora. Tempting!

She was tempting, but negotiations failed on account that the owner no doesn't know if he wants to sell her :banghead:

Thanks to those that replied - she's off the market for now and so is this thread :)

Hang in there, there`s always another one.

That's very true. I checked out the Universal 42 today. I didn't even get inside. Spongy decks and percussion tested like a Phil Collins concert. How people can let their boats deteriorate to such an extent - and then think they are still worth $$$.

As I write this reply, I just was notified that the Ocean 40 was sold. I am confused.

At least I am sitting overlooking the water at the Gippsland great lakes, so all is not bad. :thumb:

Dean, you are getting more than your fair share of broker deception.
I suggest a chat with Andrew at Cottage Point Boats. More shipwright than broker, (don`t stop him working on my boat!) maybe enlist his help. He might know of something coming to market, or keep an eye out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom