Old 10-10-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Sterling Lady
Morgan Heritage Trawler

Yes,, it's true, Charlie Morgan made some of these in the 70's. There are sturdy, well designed, and good looking. Anyone else got one?

-- Edited by Baker at 11:51, 2007-10-10
Floridakeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: Morgan Heritage Trawler

We are big fans of this boat.* Very nice lines and a great layout.* There is one in Louisiana for sale that keeps winkin' at us.* Beautiful boats for sure and American made at that(I think Chris Craft made them for awhile as well).
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #3

I bought a Heritage Yachts West Indian Trawler one year ago. It is 36 feet and I really love the boat. I bought it in Portsmouth New Hampshire and sailed it home to Prince Edward Island, Canada. I love the lines and the layout is great. She handles rough seas very well and the Perkins 6354 works great. I plan on doing the Great Loop on her in a couple of years. I have been trying to find other owners but so far no luck.
cpw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #4

We* have owned and loved our '76 Heritage West Indian since 2000... lived aboard for 7 years full time and now part time till we retire. Then plan to do the Great Circle Loop with her. Right now we are in Ft. Myers, FL and taking our time redoing her from stem to stern. She has a new Perkins Sabre engine & new transmission. Needed lots of TLC when we found* her 9 yrs ago and she has gotten lots.
Nice to see a space devoted to West Indian owners. We have seen half a dozen or so in our travels. Have seen a few of the Chris Craft models. We are just now repainting starting with the flybridge... using two part epoxy and it looks beautiful.
Had two A/C units which we removed and have put in a new mini split system and she works like a charm.
The posts were so old... not sure if anyone visits this or not, but will check back here now and then.
Happy Cruisin'
Maureen & Dave
Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #5

Morgan Heritage Trawler

My wife Patty and I have been cruising British Columbia Coastal waters for the last 4 summers. We purchased Chantilly Lace from a former Floating Home neighbour in 2005. Chantilly Lace is a 36 ft Morgan Trawler . She has spent most of her life in the Turks & Caicos in the British West Indies, as a private yacht and liveaboard. After a major refit in Florida including a new John Deere Diesel She was shipped via the Dockwise yacht transport ship through the Panama Canal to Deep Cove BC, near Vancouver. I did some work on Chantilly for the former owner and when she came up for sale it was not a difficult decision to make the purchase. She now has just over 1000 hrs on her and is in better than new condition.

[img]download.spark?ID=568773&aBID=115492[/img][img]download.spark?ID=568774&aBID=115492[/img]

-- Edited by DFluker on Thursday 10th of September 2009 10:33:24 PM
DFluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #6
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Thanks for posting. It is a great looking boat for sure!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
CTO

Hi,* I just wanted the list to know I just purchased a 1983 Chris Craft Heritage Trawler named "Liberty".* Currently it is berthed in Sarasota, Fl.* I have only used it for a short time but it seems to be a great boat though it needs some updating below.*
Attached Thumbnails
cct picture.jpg  
CTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Morgan Heritage Trawler

Quote:
DFluker wrote:

My wife Patty and I have been cruising British Columbia Coastal waters for the last 4 summers.

[img]download.spark?ID=568773&aBID=115492[/img]

Is that a floating home in the background? Yours?* If it is...you are living my dream. And in the perfect cruising grounds to boot!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 30th of August 2010 05:32:04 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #9

Here's a photo of my boat.* I love it.* Made a few changes.* She now has the stainless steel rail on the flybridge.* Hurricane Ike took the bow rail, still plan on making a new one.* Here is a before and after photo.* I keep it in Kemah Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
031.jpg   8.jpg  
shayne1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #10

City: Fernandina Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Flatwoods
Vessel Model: Heritage West Indian
Heritage West Indian Feedback

Any one out there with a Heritage West Indian 36 still participate on this forum? I'd be interested is discussing the boat with current or previous owners.

Ignatius
ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I'd never seen one until I docked next to a West Indian 36 in Stuart, Fl, and I must say that I'm completely smitten with the boat. It's in terrible shape, but I was able to get a quick glance into the interior on the owner's last visit. The layout is great and so surprising. I love the style of the boat with it's rising bow and sleek lines. This one has twin diesels but I understand that some of them were singles. It's for sale, but it would take a lot more than I've got to bring it back. After doing a search some months ago to learn more about the boat, I read this thread. I understand your boat needed some work, but that you've got it in pretty good shape. It sure looks good. Here's a couple of photos of the one in Stuart right after it was power-washed. It's not looking as good right now.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC0007.jpg   GEDC0008.jpg  
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #12

City: EC FL
Sterling Kennedy, the original poster of this thread is still active on the web. I had “docktails”
with him not too long ago.

He sold the Heritage and bought a Marine Trader 44, that is currently stored on land while he trailers around a 25 ft IO. He says he wants to spend more time on the NYCS and less time getting there.

Anyway if there is something that Sterling likes to do it is to talk about boats. His web site has hundreds of pictures of the Heritage and info about additions he made to the boat.

There is a button on top of the webpage “email the Captain”. Email him, just remember he’s cruising and may not always have internet access.

Mike
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #13

City: ormond beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
Any one out there with a Heritage West Indian 36 still participate on this forum? I'd be interested is discussing the boat with current or previous owners.

Ignatius
Yes I have one and my cousin has one at the Halifax harbor in Daytona. I would like to get together and talked about our little American built boats

serendy
serendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #14

City: ormond beach
Thumbs up your boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakeyz View Post
Yes,, it's true, Charlie Morgan made some of these in the 70's. There are sturdy, well designed, and good looking. Anyone else got one?

-- Edited by Baker at 11:51, 2007-10-10
do you still have your boat? I have a 1977 model and this summer I plan to go to the Dry Tortugas. I would like stop by and chat
Charlie
serendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #15
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Amazing

I worked for both Mr. Morgan and Mr. Irwin as a teen ager and had no idea that he made these
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Camden
Vessel Name: Spindrift
Vessel Model: Lehtinen/Sawyer
Nice read many positive responds about these boats. I'm looking at the 1977 Heritage 36 list on Yachtworld in Daytona, Fl. Broker is getting me photos of the hull. I presume these are semi displacement built down keels (which what my old Spindrift is). Broker listed the cruising speed as 6 knots with the 130 hp Perkins. Does this sound right or should that be more like 8 knots?

Also, in 2013 Healhustler showed another one of these boats for sale in Fl. Wondering if that boat is still for sale?

Thanks!
PenBayCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I think there is another one in Alabama on yachtworld with single engine. .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Camden
Vessel Name: Spindrift
Vessel Model: Lehtinen/Sawyer
Thanks, I found the Alabama boat as well as the one healhustler mentioned (still for sale almost 2 years later, at $63,500 and in poor condition they're going to be a while longer) in Stuart FL.

One thing I had missed was no side doors. Thought there was one next to the steering station. I would really miss that as Spindrift has port/stb doors, very handy for getting on/off docks. Has anyone had one added?

Does someone have a good photo of the shower end of the head? Not clear on that layout and how shower curtain keeps water off the vanity.

Thanks!
PenBayCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #19

City: Hobe Sound
36' Chris Craft West Indies-Stuart FL

The West Indies in Stuart, Fl belongs to my father. It is for sale. Anyone interested can call me @ 772-263-0801.
Thanks
roydupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #20

City: Hobe Sound
Chris Craft 36' listing

in case anyone is interested in detailed pics, here is the listing. I hope this is ok to post. thanks for any interest.

1983 Chris Craft West Indian 36 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
roydupuis is offline   Reply With Quote