Malahide trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orcades

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Orcades
Vessel Make
1973 Malahide 57' 80 ton
1973 wooden Malahide . 6x6" oak framing 21/2" planking, 260 hp Volvo turbo main engine , 150 hp yanmar wing . Handles Scottish weather ok ,a bit rolly !

80 ton gross , 30 ton of old railway lines as ballast .

Any other Malahides out there

Andy

Andy,
I'm jealous , what a boat you have.
Is she rebuilt or just still in pristine condition.
Show us more pics.
Cheers
Benn

Malahide Trawler

Thanks , she has had 3 life's , started as a navigation traing boat for the UK navy , ( send picture of the original boat later ) then she was made into a private trawler for a welthy fisherman 20 years ago in Orkney , hence the name , I bought her last year and slipped her in march this year to inspect the hull and all the running gear , integrity paramount ! And doing some bedroom and general freshen up ,
Renewed some wood planking ,caulking and decking , but generally is in good nick and will put my mark on her !! ( bitofa money drain !! But as you say .....
And
You only ever borrow anything for a while and hopefully pass it on !

I am at the shipyard tomorrow and will send more pictures ,

Look on my album I have uploade some more !

Andy

WOW Benn , are you doing the work ? I see we are similar ages , I was 63 last week , but , feeling great and excited about this project , have sailed a fair bit , but needed some home comforts now , it's cold sailing up here. !!

Andy

Andy,
Know what the weather is like up there.
Did all my marine Engineering College at South Shields Marine & Tech.
My cousin owns a few hotels in Scotland , hence all my spare time was up there.
He had hotels in Forfar, 2 off , The Bruce at Carnoustie and the Seaforth at Arbroath. Plenty of drinking spots for a young bloke. This was the early 70s.
He actually bought a nice 40 ft converted trawler back in 74 and I did a delivery for him from Dundee up to Inverness. Quite an adventure for a young buck back in those days.

Re my job, for the first time I have contracted out 95% of the work and I am only project managing it.
Have found out it is a great way to go (expensive) but with the right people stuff gets done properly, quickly and everyone is happy.

Cheers
Benn

1973 wooden Malahide . 6x6" oak framing 21/2" planking, 260 hp Volvo turbo main engine , 150 hp yanmar wing . Handles Scottish weather ok ,a bit rolly !

Andy

There are a few in the Seattle Puget Sound. There is a gorgeous boat house high maintain dock queen that is was for sale. The most well known is the Ursa Major that is a gorgeous charter up between Alaska and Mexico. Another was Sea Quest but she was taken down the coast. All are heavy plank wood and made in your area.

buying and maintaining an older boat you have to enjoy maintain and spending money on her.

Congratulations Andy.

Malahides are by far the best trawler hul design ever. When I was a kid, my Dad took me to Leixoes in Portugal where they used to build them.

This boat can take some weight and some spanking. It is very generous with bad weather.
Cheers

Malahide

Hi , yes I have read through the lady,s story , good on her ! Yea big and heavy , but very responsive on the water, is seaworthy , got a more experienced fisherman to take me out , in conditions I would never attempt just to see how she was , slow rolly into wind and following sea . Just had to see how to position her .... Just in case !

I had been looking at many trawlers , and without going for the KJ or Fleming, when I say this one and 2 others for sale , she was what I was looking for.
Yep spent a load of dish , but her framing and planking are solid and like new , her previous owners could maintain her , and I'm just making her a " Classy Lassy " .. My wife just rolls her eyes , big boy toy !!!

Bom dia amego ! Eu sabe todo communicacions em engles,, mas eu fala poco Portuguese ..... Bem e cuidade Dias em sua Barco ...

Andy

Malahide Trawler

This was Orcades when she was built , quite like her like that , high back end !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,062
Orcades

Andy

Andy

I have a very derlict rain soaked, soggy Twin Screw boat for restoration. She was built by Southern Marine Limited, Malahide Shipyard, Dublin.
She is currently called @Allison Jane@ and she has a certificate of British Registry 1974.
She been lying exposed to all the elements for a few years since her previous owner died. So lots to do to get her back in the water. She's sitting down at North Queensferry in Fife should you ever be passing and fancy a view. She's not in the same class as you but she's more than enough for me.

Hi all

I goosed the attachement of the picture of the A004.jpg

074.jpg

078.jpgllison Jane so trying again

Apologies in advance if it does not send.

Gordon

She's got beautiful lines! You're going to learn a lot about her as you lovingly bring her back to her former self. Please keep us posted. As you know, some of us do better with pictures that the written word!! :hide:

Allison Jayne

Hi Al

Many thanks for your comments, much appreciated. I have taken plenty of photos so I will certainly bore you with my efforts as I move her along. She is in a bad way though as the fresh water has been poring in for years. I have spent the last few visits emptying her of rubbish, by that I mean so many tins of mixed paint I could have painted the Forth Bridge again. I think the previous owner had used her as his garden shed. I have been given a price for the Iroko planking required for the hull at £1500. I am aware of the Orcades up in Aberdeen Scotland and was wondering if there are any other Malahide Trawler owners in the UK using this forum?
Gordon

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 358
  • 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 219
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 243
  • 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 314
Hi Al

Many thanks for your comments, much appreciated. I have taken plenty of photos so I will certainly bore you with my efforts as I move her along. She is in a bad way though as the fresh water has been poring in for years. I have spent the last few visits emptying her of rubbish, by that I mean so many tins of mixed paint I could have painted the Forth Bridge again. I think the previous owner had used her as his garden shed. I have been given a price for the Iroko planking required for the hull at £1500. I am aware of the Orcades up in Aberdeen Scotland and was wondering if there are any other Malahide Trawler owners in the UK using this forum?
Gordon
I looked at the Malahide Lady Faye before buying Delfin's hull. She was planked with 3" teak and sported a 225 hp Kelvin diesel. I wanted to buy her just to be able to own the engine. God Bless you for undertaking the project - these vessels deserve to be saved.

Sir Humphrey Appleby (Yes Minister) might have called your project 'courageous', even "character forming". I hope it goes well.

It's sad when a formerly well found vessel meets its end in this way. There was a local Romsdal that I looked into for a time, it was not anywhere near as needing as the Malahide. It was just too much of a project to undertake and it met its demise courtesy of a match.. very sad.

HOLLYWOOD

Wow holy crap mate. I thought my timber boat project was a handful. I now know I was wrong. I bow down to thee in respect of great courage and wish you well sir!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

It's sad when a formerly well found vessel meets its end in this way. There was a local Romsdal that I looked into for a time, it was not anywhere near as needing as the Malahide. It was just too much of a project to undertake and it met its demise courtesy of a match.. very sad.

HOLLYWOOD

Hi Hollywood8118

It ain't over till the fat man signs, this boat shall not meet her maker yet,

Gordon

Projects such as this disprove the old adage " only a woman can give birth".
I say that only with the most respect for the man who takes on a
project such as this and carries through. It is only with his blood, sweat and boldness that life may again flow through timbers and beams meant to surge upon the surface of the sea.
May you soon stand upon her decks and ride her soul across the far horizon.

Frank

Hi Gordon , how's the project coming along ? Been meaning to get in touch , maybe come down to see you !

Andy

Hi Gordon , how's the project coming along ? Been meaning to get in touch , maybe come down to see you !

Andy

Hi Andy

My apologies for not being in touch for a while but I was diagnosed with Cancer in the lungs last February which has been a massive blow to both me and my family. But I remain positive and refuse to give up on life to easily and as far as I am concerned I can beat this and I am currently receiving chemotherapy treatment but I shall not know if this is helping until I am finished my treatment and then the measure to see if there has been any improvement via shrinkage.

How ever I am carrying on with things that interest me, like the Alison Jane where I shall have to take on more a project mangers role rather than a hands on Shipwrights role. It will let me have an interest that I can hide behind.

So the Alison Jane refit shall continue. I am looking at moving her to a friends yard at Cluny which is just North of Kirkcaldy Fife.
I have donated all of my timber and an old Pitenweem yawl to the Scottish Fisheries Museum who look after the 112 year old Herring drifter the "Reaper"

The move to Cluny will give me peace away from the political nightmare of Fife Council looking to turn the area at NQ into a car park and moving all of the boats away to accommodate car parking for the proposed World heritage site the Forth Bridge. If the get it as expected they shall (and I support it and hope they do)the calculations tell us that the footfall of visitors rises by several thousands most who shall require car parking.

Anyway what is new with the Orcades what have you been up to with in the last year. Once I move the boat perhaps you would like to come down for a visit and see what a challenge is!!!
My mobile number is 07582290415 if you prefer to call first.

I look forward to hearing from you
Kind regards
Gordon

I have just stumbled upon this thread. Gordon, I hope you are winning the battles. Please provide us with an update both about yourself and your boat.
I am from Buckhaven if you can believe such a thing.
Good luck

I know most of the Malahides were made of wood, but a few were steel (?) Anyone know how many metal boats were built? I always admire Ursa Major when I see her in SE Alaska - very stout and rugged looking.

According to my Facebook feed, Orcades has been completely refit and is now for sale in Glasgow for a reasonable price - compared to US-based Malahides anyhow.

I know most of the Malahides were made of wood, but a few were steel (?) Anyone know how many metal boats were built? I always admire Ursa Major when I see her in SE Alaska - very stout and rugged looking.

Malahide Ireland, had the shipyard (Southern Marine) that produced all of the "Malahide" trawlers. The hulls were built out of wood, either in Norway or in Portugal, then transported to Malahide for finishing. Ursa Major is on a Norwegian wood hull.

Romsdahl Trawlers look a lot like Malahides, but the larger ones are mostly (all?) built of steel. They were built in Norway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom