Old 03-02-2016, 02:43 AM   #1

City: Hungerford,Berks
Vessel Name: Magic Dragon
Vessel Model: 1/2 Size Steam Scottish Puffer
Exhausts

I have a steamboat which I am converting to diesel. In order to retain looks, I am going for a dry exhaust routed up the existing funnel. The funnel will have a muffler inside and the exhaust will be lagged from the engine. Question should I use an exhaust resonator in the pipe run
Shalbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:58 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Please Please keep the steam Photos Please love steam
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:17 AM   #3

City: Hungerford,Berks
Vessel Name: Magic Dragon
Vessel Model: 1/2 Size Steam Scottish Puffer
I love steam too but the time has come when the wife doesn't want to shovel coal anymore. It took.me 14 years to build he, the boat that is, and I launched he 5 years ago. Look at you tube " Launch and Maiden Voyage of Magic Dragon
Shalbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalbourne View Post
I love steam too but the time has come when the wife doesn't want to shovel coal anymore. It took.me 14 years to build he, the boat that is, and I launched he 5 years ago. Look at you tube " Launch and Maiden Voyage of Magic Dragon
Incredible work, amazing boat ! Congratulations!

Here is the link :

http://youtu.be/kH-CrWPJV70
User915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Wow, what an amazing project. You should be very proud. I don't know the statistics, but I think you are among a very small minority who actually complete such a project.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
A "resonator" or as we call it, a muffler, is normally used in a drystack system. Turbo'd engines can get by with a much smaller one. It needs to be fairly free flowing. Na engines need a good sized unit as they dont have a turbo to dampen the exhaust pulses. Lots of work boats have no muffler, and I do love the sound of a big diesel engine without a muffler pushing a load up the river. I just wouldnt want to have to live with it all the time.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
Guru

City: Vermont
Regarding your actual question, I'd suggest fitting as much muffling capacity as you can given space constraints and without exceeding the back pressure specifications for the engine. This later point deserves careful attention. I just went through an exercise exploring the addition of a resonator or second muffler on my boat, but found I would exceed the back-pressure specs if I did, so abandoned the project.

There are various calculator (Harco is the muffler manufacturer in Oregon, USA who I was working with) that will accurately predict the back-pressure from your exhaust piping, mufflers, etc. Personally I like a quiet environment, so it's worth it to me to max out the silencing capacity. And it turns out the builder of my boat had already done that. I didn't pursue it because it would be too big a project, but it's likely that by increasing the diameter of the exhaust run and thereby decreasing its back pressure contribution, you can create more "room" for muffler back pressure. If keeping the boat quiet is important to you, then I'd suggesting spending the time to design the exhaust carefully.

Good luck with the project.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Why not convert the boiler to bunker, kerosene or even diesel and use the same stack?

That would keep it steam, and pretty much original.

Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote