Klaus Baess Apollo 32 - Looking for drawings and info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willet

Vessel Name
Willet
Vessel Make
Klaus Baess Apollo 32
Hi All,

I'm a new owner of a 1974 Apollo 32. It came with two drawings. One of the stern tube and the as-built electrical schematic.

Is there a location for finding more documentation?

I've seen one other thread here about this but didn't see any resolution.

Thanks,
Matthew

I thought they stopped Apollo program at number 17th??? :D

Mathew, it probably did not come with much of an owners manual or drawings.
After all these years they wouldn't be much help anyway.

If you're new to boating the guys on this forum can help you out with most questions.

Get a copy of Nigel Calders book Boatowners Mechanica and Electrical Manual.
Also get Peggie Hall's book The New Get Rid of Boat Oders.
Peggie is an expert on marine sanitation systems and if you post a question about that subject on this forum will usually answer it for you.

Lou, Apollo 32 was part of the secret moon missions that used invisible Saturn V rockets.

Did you see Gene Cernan died back in January?

I've recall seeing a fairly detailed brochure for an Apollo 32 online before. I was thinking about purchasing one years ago. Albin 25s of a similar vintage came with an owner's​ manual, so it's not too much of a stretch, that an Apollo may have one.

Apollo connections in BC

Hello "Willett",
I also bought a'73 Apollo 32 from the second owners who turned 85 and retired from boating. I have the electrical schematic and several other pieces including magazine articles from English and Canadian sources. Klaus Baess's brother had emigrated from Denmark to Victoria and was responsible for the purchase of a number of these boats locally. There were two of them for sale, docked nose to nose in Maple Bay at the time I bought this one.

It's unlikely that the original schematic can be relied upon at this point. I installed a Lewmar 3.5 hp bowthruster on mine - best upgrade ever. Also, the 20" high cockpit combing was awkward to climb over so I cut stepthroughs down to 5 " above the deck, faced them with teak and sewed snap-on coverings to close off rain. These boats were originally designed for the Danish coast guard on the North sea, so made to take hard seas. As one of the few pleasure boats certified by Lloyd's Registry, it came with a Lloyd's stamped metal plate and the framed, signed certification by the surveyors in Copenhagen. Does yours have its Klaus Baess emblazoned crockery that was included in its purchase? Doug

Attachments

• New bottomed girl.jpg
    New bottomed girl.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 254
Thanks for your post Doug.

I've got the schematic which is close. I am more interested in the drawings just 'cause.

Is your Apollo a twin screw? Mine is. There seem to be some single and some twins.

Matthew

Willett,
Do you still have your Apollo?

Doug

Hi Doug,

Unfortunately, we have moved (we are right across from you now in Port Angeles, WA), and after researching and taking stock of things we sold Willet rather than move her.

She has a new owner who was really excited to have her and has continued doing projects to keep her shipshape.

Best,
Matthew

Having original "anything" on a 1974 imported vessel won't do you any more good than having the original dishes.

Start your own book and keep it up to date.

pete

Hmm,

The original topic of this thread was finished five years ago. It just popped up again because someone was asking about Willet now.

FWIW, five years ago I was looking for the boat's lines. As a naval architect I just wanted to run some stability calcs for my own enjoyment really.

I even contemplated taking the lines off the hull (again just for personal curiosity and to know more about my prized boat) but I decided I had more important projects to get done while she was on the hard each time.

Matthew

Back
Top Bottom