Hershine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anyone have a good write up about a Hershine 39. I'm interested in one but never heard of them.

I have a 1979 Hershine Trawler in Nanoose Bay, B.C.. In my travels up north and around the Gulf Islands, I have only seen one other. It seems that they are rare, not enough to have a rendezvous I guess.

Attachments

• imgp3817.jpg
    imgp3817.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 5,877
I recently purchased a 1987 Newburyport 37 in Rhode Island and have brought it down to Chesapeake Bay. I have found very little history on the company which imported this boat from the Hershine yard, but apparently there were several (some say up to 30 boats) which were brought in and outfitted in Newburyport MA.

dvd

Attachments

• screen-shot-2011-05-20-a-08.jpg
    screen-shot-2011-05-20-a-08.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,162
Hi DVD, thank for the info. I've never heard of the Newburyport before your reply. The hull looks the same but the aft area is quite different.
We'll see if there are any more replies, I would like to find out more about the Hershine family of boats.

There's a Hershine here in Thorne Bay (about 44') for sale very reasonable. Owner just does not use it. It's got a starter problem on one of the Volvo's and the roof leaks. Contact me via PM.

Hobotone --

PM sent.

dvd

Hobotone wrote:
Hi dvd

Hmmm, not exactly sure what "PM sent" means?
no.gif

Anthony
*Anthony,

Look at the top right of the screen at your login box.* It will probably note that a private message has been sent to you.* Click on it.* It will either open the message or take you to your profile so that you can open it.

We have a 1988 Hershine that is slipped in Kincardine Ontario

-- Edited by nikkilara on Tuesday 21st of February 2012 11:39:21 AM

I just bought a 1979 Hershine 37. I am currently living on board in Glen Cove Marina, CA.

Billsteele, welcome and congratulations, I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours. Post some pics when you can.

Congratulations, Have you been looking for this particular model or were you open to others?. We looked for seven months, saw a lot of boats and a lot of junk before finding ours. Are you taking it to Portland yourself?, if so please post an account of the trip.

Thank you! I was loath to post again till I was sure, but my offer has been accepted, so I will own her on the 1st of November.
I was open to all kinds of boats, I looked at carvers, uniflite, grand banks, sailboats, etc.

I was given a piece of advice I thought was good. Find a boat that is being used for what you want to do already. Once I did that i started seeing boats that really interested me. Big difference in the setup of a weekender or summer boat vs. a live aboard! It didn't take long to fall in love with trawlers. After lots of boats I decided I wanted a single engine diesle. I then really began looking at taiwanese trawlers on the west coast (shipping from east coast was prohibitive!)

Did lots of homework and started looking at albin, hershine and a few others. When this one came up I called and then made the 4 hour drive the next day. It felt like I was "home" as soon as I went aboard. Brand new engine and electrical runs. The owner lives aboard with his dog Elliot (my dogs name is Ellie.. go figure)

I know he got equivelant offers to mine, and in fact mine had a delay built in (while closing on the house) but he sold it to me because I loved the boat and spent my time being excited about it, and what he had done. Others had brokers who spent their time pointing out every flaw and trying to weedle him down.

Sorry TMI but I am so happy to be getting this boat, and to be moving onto her!

I would love to drive, cruise, ??? her to portland, but I am so green, I don't even know how to start the engine or the heater! She is going to be shipped from Port Townsend to Portland where I am having a captain bring her to my Marina (while instructing me as much as possible) I have lined him up to teach me how not to crash my boat into the rocks, logs, islands etc over time during the winter so come spring/summer I will be ready to cruise.

PDX- nice looking boat! What is the finish on the teak decks, or is it just the rain in the photos that makes them look varnished?

Nice boat. The only clash with the overall state is that rusty old CQR. Get yourself a nice new Rocna, or Sarca if you can, and all will be complete.

Thank you for the kind words!

The CO (for 11 more days!!) uses cetol cut with around 50% thinner. brings out the color and last for months (depending on traffic according to him) I was on her in rain and no slippery at all.

Yeah, that anchor is sad huh? So Rocna's are good?

I looked at sizing chart, came up with a "25" does that sound right? 37' boat, 36,000 lbs...?

thanks for the recommendation and the kind words!

Last edited:
:):blush:OK, I'm a noob so I can ask dumb questions, do you have chain recommendations? Small link? Stainless? thanks!

W have a Rocna 20 (20kg, 44#) on our 30,000# GB36. This was the size recommended by Rocna when I called them in New Zealand way back when to talk to them about their anchors and shipping one to the US. According to what they told me, the size they recommended for our boat was for "real" conditions, like storms and such, not just fair weather use.

The Rocna 20 fits fine on our pulpit. There is a boat on our dock now with a Rocna 25 which I don't think was offered at the time we bought our Rocna (about six or seven years ago). I think its shank may be a tad too long for our pulpit but if your boat can accommodate it I think it would be a good size to get.

We have all-chain rode, 200.' If we were buying the rode today we'd get 250.' The chain has to be sized to the wildcat on the windlass obviously, and the best way to do this is to either remove the wildcat and take it to the chain store or have the store whack off a foot or so of the chain you think you want so you can take it to the boat and make sure it fits the wildcat properly. If the links don't fit the wildcat properly it can jump and skip as it's going out or coming in. Just because a chain has the same measurement as your wildcat (3/8", 5/16", etc.) that is not a guarantee it will fit correctly. So you should check the fit physically before buying the chain. I would use galvanized chain over stainless.

If you don't know much about anchoring I would highly recommend the book "The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring" by Earl Hinz. Best book available on all aspects of anchoring. I don't know if it's been updated to include the so-called "new generation"" anchors like the rollbar anchors, but regardless, the techniques and practices he describes don't go out of date.

Last edited:
Wonderful information, thank you!

the book is ordered!

Since we are in the "noobie" zone, are there any other books/software/guides that you consider "must haves"? I know there are a million things but like the anchoring book there are usually some specific things that set the foundation to build on.

any help is much appreciated.

Boat Update.. just talked to CO, boat is being surveyed and pulled this week, have a trucker lined up or may have a captain who will cruise it to Portland! Hard to stay patient!

The Radar Book by Kevin Monahan is a good treatise on using a modern recreational boat radar.

How to Read a Nautical Chart by Nigel Calder, is a good text on that subject. Even if you use an electronic chart plotter as most of us do, knowing the chart symbols and so forth is needed for that, too.

Marine Diesel Engines, also by Nigel Calder, is a good source of information on diesel basics. Other than changing oil, belts, filters, and raw water pump impellers I don't work on our engines. But Calder's book gave me a good basic understanding about how our Ford Lehman 120 Jurassic Edition engines work.

Given the large amount of bright exterior teak on your boat (which ours also has) I would highly recommend Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood by Rebecca Wittman.

And since I gather you're going to be living aboard you will become intimately acquainted with the heads, holding tank(s), and sanitary plumbing over time. So you might want to get a copy of Get Rid of Boat Odors: A Boat Owner's Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravations and Odor by Peggie Hall.

Try to stay objective until the the survey is done. You may yet want to chat to the seller about price, something is sure to come up on a 1979 boat. There is a Hershine 37 we see occasionally, they are a handsome large volume boat.
I found the Anchoring book by Earl Hinz helpful too. The last edition is 2001 so it does not cover some new developments in anchors, like Sarca and Rocna.
I believe gal steel chain is more malleable than s/steel and the better choice. Costs less too. Likewise no need for a s/steel anchor. BruceK

Hershine, another word of caution. There are two sizes of chain for each link thickness - well here in Oz anyway. One, and the commonest used for anchor winches, is called short link, and the other is long link, and not usually used for anchoring. There are also different grades of guaranteed quality, ie tested v's untested in terms of ultimate strength, so make sure you specify it is for anchor grade, and check out the link length as well as like thickness. My gypsy needs 10mm (3/8) short link for example.
Did you locate the US Anchorright distributor..?
If not you might like to try here.....

Joseph B. H. Smith
Director, Special Projects
-----------------------------

(Response Products & Equipment Sales Division)
9520 10th Avenue South - Suite #175
Seattle WA 98108
PH: 206-378-4101; Fax: 206-378-4103
Mobile# 206-423-2661
Email: jbhsmith@nrcc.com
(Note: Formerly SEACOR Environmental Products LLC)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom