GreenLine Hybrid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We own a greenline 39. It would be nice to have a dedicated forum for owners to share information.

J.

I've talked to a couple people who own them and they like them of course. However a couple things to watch out for. Some of the early ones used VW TDi engines. At least here in North America these aren't a common marine engine so that may become a problem as it gets older. Newer ones seem to use Volvo which I presume are 'normal' marine engines with good parts supply. The other thing is that they do depend on batteries which of course have a lifespan. So at they reach 10 years old you may be faced with battery replacement. Its probably worth understanding what this costs. I've had hybrid and plug in hybrid vehicles...I always lease them because I don't want to own them when they're old. Ever wonder why used Nissan leafs are almost free? Batteries give out.

Hi Slowmo, Thanks for the reply and your inputs! We have now been using the boat for 2.5 years averaging 4 months a year cruising in it. We feel it's a great setup for those wanting to move at trawler speed without ever using a generator while at anchor. We have the 220hp Volvo diesel. Good so far...
J.

I've talked to a couple people who own them and they like them of course. However a couple things to watch out for. Some of the early ones used VW TDi engines. At least here in North America these aren't a common marine engine so that may become a problem as it gets older. Newer ones seem to use Volvo which I presume are 'normal' marine engines with good parts supply. The other thing is that they do depend on batteries which of course have a lifespan. So at they reach 10 years old you may be faced with battery replacement. Its probably worth understanding what this costs. I've had hybrid and plug in hybrid vehicles...I always lease them because I don't want to own them when they're old. Ever wonder why used Nissan leafs are almost free? Batteries give out.

I have written about my GL33 impressions and experience in a couple of posts:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s14/greenline-33-anyone-took-offshore-ride-46494.html

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/left-turn-clide-going-hybrid-50144-2.html

Slowmo is right about battery replacement.

A TF Section for Greenlines would be nice, but searching the membership, there seem to be precious few Greenline owners...and the ones that appear seem to be mostly inactive. Maybe they would be more active if there were a dedicated TF section? Maybe more would join TF??? As far as I know, there is no international area where Greenliners can have "open and frank discussion". Only various country-specific dealer (& other) Facebook pages.

Last edited:
ScottC, Thanks for the post. Your other posts were informative.

I hope that a dedicated thread for Greenline would be made. It would be a great place to share information & ideas on maintenance, modifications,operation, etc.

J.
Greenline 39

Hi Solaris & all,

In case you haven't already noticed, the moderators have been kind enough to create a dedicated Greenline/Solar/hybrid Forum:):)

Hi Solaris & all,

In case you haven't already noticed, the moderators have been kind enough to create a dedicated Greenline/Solar/hybrid Forum:):)

Which is what landed me here. Hi everyone! Scott, though I am not an owner--yet--I've e-mailed a couple of Greenline 40 owners & former owners with whom I've corresponded over the last year or so, and suggested they join/contribute to the relevant threads here.

Fingers crossed for such folks to join up and speak up.

Which is what landed me here. Hi everyone! Scott, though I am not an owner--yet--I've e-mailed a couple of Greenline 40 owners & former owners with whom I've corresponded over the last year or so, and suggested they join/contribute to the relevant threads here.

Fingers crossed for such folks to join up and speak up.

Great! Thank you, Rick!
I think TF could be a great resource if we can get enough GL owners to join and contribute. I understand that at least 700 GL33’s have been produced (not all hybrid, however)

Back
Top Bottom