Old 09-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Grand Alaskan 64 - owners advice?

We saw a nice 64 yesterday and really liked the layout. However, the swim step is "boxed" in and you can't easily step off to the dock without jumping over the side of the boat. How do current owners deal with this when docking? I'd hate to have either me or my wife slip when jumping onto a wet dock from the side boarding doors.

Brokerage Specifications
w8n4sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
My wife uses the cockpit side doors with no issues whatsoever - though she does also tend to use the rubbing strake as well if it is a bigger step.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
We've been on and off the vessel in question and have not seen an issue.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #4

When sterned in (like at the show), it is not a problem stepping on and off the swim step from the rear. What I am concerned with is using the cockpit side door to "jump" off a moving boat while docking in process. I'm not a fan of jumping off a boat to secure dock lines, either for myself or wife.

We really like the boat but are confounded by the engineering design of blocking off the swim step? Of course if we had dock assist every time we returned to our slip this would not be an issue as we would just throw the lines and let them tie the boat off, then we can safely get off the boat to fine tune the lines.

Am I being too cautious?
Old 09-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Guru

Your call w8. Most larger vessels can indeed have boarding issues. My wife dislikes most if not all KKs due to boarding issues. Her views have not hurt KK's popularity.

We know the owners of the vessel you are mentioning. Neither are gymnasts. BTW, why jump off a moving boat?
Old 09-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #6

We're coming off a much smaller vessel, routine is for wife to step off the swim step and tie off the stern, then walk up to grab the bow line and tie off.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to step off the side door (I'm guessing about 18" high) onto a wet dock? We're going back today to measure the height and really look at the boat again from a live aboard perspective.

Ideally we wouldn't be stepping off a moving boat and our policy is to always go slow and no running when tying down the boat.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #7

Follow up, we looked at the boat again yesterday and took measurements. We really liked it and came closest to checking off all our requirements, but the 20" step down from the cockpit door to the dock is too risky for us. Shame as the boat is really nice otherwise.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
If the step down to the dock is too much, why not add a MarQuipt stair or gangway? Even a two or three step would do the trick and it can convert to a ramp if you don’t use the stand-off. Their stuff is not cheap but the quality is there and it will last for decades. Our 6-step is at least 30 years old.....
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Grand Alaskan 64 - owners advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4sun View Post
When sterned in (like at the show), it is not a problem stepping on and off the swim step from the rear. What I am concerned with is using the cockpit side door to "jump" off a moving boat while docking in process. I'm not a fan of jumping off a boat to secure dock lines, either for myself or wife.

We really like the boat but are confounded by the engineering design of blocking off the swim step? Of course if we had dock assist every time we returned to our slip this would not be an issue as we would just throw the lines and let them tie the boat off, then we can safely get off the boat to fine tune the lines.

Am I being too cautious?
Edit: I posted before I read all the replies. I see you and your wife aren’t being risky about jumping off the boat.

You aren’t being too cautious, you just aren’t being cautious enough. “Jump off a moving boat”!? No way! You step off a boat that isn’t moving relative to the dock.

Our boat has a cockpit door on the starboard side similar to the Grand Alaskan only not quite as high. My wife hates stepping off or on boats or dinghies. She is very capable, just very nervous. Even she doesn’t have a problem. However, the rule is that she never “jumps” anywhere. We were just having this discussion over drinks with Alaskaprof this week. My wife doesn’t like stepping off the swim step, which she has to do if we port tie.

Since the GA is a bit higher, there are temporary steps you can place at the cockpit door so it isn’t as big a step if you like.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #10

Agreed, we don't jump off, we step off. But in this GA case we would have to "jump" down to the dock with the boat not secured (during docking). In our home port we can always call for line assist which would negate this issue. However we like to do a lot of Fall/Winter cruising and the thought of slipping on a wet dock is too risky for us. Stairs would help once the boat is secure, but the initial landing is what scares us off this boat. We're looking long term and have to be realistic about our age and doing everything we can to mitigate getting hurt while docking.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Agreed, we don't jump off, we step off. But in this GA case we would have to "jump" down to the dock with the boat not secured (during docking). In our home port we can always call for line assist which would negate this issue. However we like to do a lot of Fall/Winter cruising and the thought of slipping on a wet dock is too risky for us. Stairs would help once the boat is secure, but the initial landing is what scares us off this boat. We're looking long term and have to be realistic about our age and doing everything we can to mitigate getting hurt while docking.

Very wise.

I have been using a Fender Step on the last three boats. Our Catalina 400 had a very high freeboard as does our North Pacific 43. The Fender Step allows us to step off the boat safely. I routinely step off and reboard our current boat at the pilothouse using the Fender Step and I’m 60 years old with very bad knees.

Just a thought. I’m sure there are other steps that can be placed over the threshold of the cockpit door. There are also boarding steps that can be mounted permanently on the outside that fold up against the hull.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #12

Well, we ended up finding another GA in our area and got to take her home over the weekend. Have to give a huge shout out to Brian and Patrick with Selene Yachts NW for their guidance and hard work in securing the deal for us!

It's a year 2000 GA 60 with an extended swim platform, perfect for getting on and off the boat at dock height. She ran well on the cruise up to our home port in Seattle. Looking forward to learning all her systems and getting out for some Winter cruising!

https://youtu.be/ztbe8ZR4v1U
Attached Thumbnails
TYC Front.jpg   TYC Side.jpg   Colvos Port.jpg   Colvos Starboard.jpg  
Old 12-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
Guru

Nice catch and nice boat. What the name before you bought it?
Old 12-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Nice catch and nice boat. What the name before you bought it?
Her name is currently Paladin, but we are in the process of CG Documentation and renaming her Mabuhay (Live Life!).

Of course she handles and drives much differently from our previous 01 Bayliner 3788, it will be an adventure getting to know all the ins and out of this boat.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #15
Guru

Looks identical to Sonas except for the much wider swim platform.

Two cabins or three? And what engines?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #16

She is the 3 cabin layout, and powered by twin 660hp Cat 3196 motors. Don't know if the fuel meters are accurate but at 9.5kts she was burning 8 gph total. During sea trial she hit 20kts but gulping diesel like there was no tomorrow!
Old 12-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #17
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
You have a beautiful boat there!

What kind of headroom do you have in the engine room?
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #18

City: Kiln,MS
Quote:
She is the 3 cabin layout, and powered by twin 660hp Cat 3196 motors. Don't know if the fuel meters are accurate but at 9.5kts she was burning 8 gph total. During sea trial she hit 20kts but gulping diesel like there was no tomorrow!

If you're going by the mpd. The fuel calculation is done by injection duration. It should be reasonably close as long as the fuel API isn't far off the standard of 35. If you want the engine performance numbers from when it was factory tested. Just shoot me the engine sn# for both engines and I'll pull the data up and send it to you.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:27 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
WOW, 1320HP!

My GA 53 has a whopping 348hp total!

But it sounds like the 64 is a planing hull, where mine is not.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #20
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Shimmy, Shimmy, Ko-Ko-BOP. That was me doing a dance to celebrate your new boat. Congrats.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote