Gran(d) Mariner 43

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STB

Guru
Hi all,

A friend of mine in Los Angeles is buying one of these in a private sale. He is primarily buying it as a liveaboard and because it comes with a liveaboards slip and is sold at a "liveaboard price". It has Cummings 555 ("Triple Nickel") motors, but is otherwise similar to these:

-- 1970 Gran Mariner Yachts 43 Coastal Cruiser Trawler Houseboat For Sale (B38198)

-- 1970 Grand Mariner 43 Trawler For Sale (B45915)

-- Boat for sale - Grand Mariner - 43'

I've seen a ton of these at the slip over time. But don't know anything about them other than that they have a nice interior layout, V-drives with aft engines, and, visually, seem half way between a trawler and house boat.

The V drives combined with relative high profile make me wonder if has a really shallow draft and, if so, howbit'll do in open water.

Anyone know anything about them, e.g. who makes them, draft, beam, LOA, air draft, handling, characteristics, suitable use, etc. Anything?

He needs it as a liveaboards, and with some work it seems like it can cruise the harbor and anchor at places, like Island White.

But, in reasonable (but not perfect) weather and seas, can it cut across the channel to Catalina or run along the coast to Newport? I'm looking at the pictures trying to estimate the draft, bow shape, and handling.

I no longer live in SoCal tonsee it in person.

Thanks much!
-Greg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom