Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #1

City: Seattle
General Comments on Tollycraft build quality

Guys

Can you offer thoughts on tollycraft build quality? With specific reference to materials? Are older (70s) dfecks balsa? Problems with stringers? Etc? Please keep the info coming.

Tollytales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
From everything I've heard from owners I know, read in reviews, etc. they are very well built boats indeed. But like any boat, be it a Bayliner or "Taiwan Trawler," Grand Banks, Fleming, or Nordhavn, a Tollycraft can have serious problems from neglect or abuse. But the baseline brand and its construction is among the best.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
A forum member named Art should see this thread in the next day or two and he's a walking encyclopedia about all things Tolly. He owns a 34 and can fill in many of the details for you.

Try sending a PM(private message) to him. That'll draw him out.

The ones I've seen where well put together boats, but like all boats the care(or lack thereof) of the previous owners is more important than the pedigree of the boat itself.

Welcome aboard
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #4

thank you. I hope to have news and more details soon. I appreciate the guidance.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Guru

Owned two Tollys and they are well built, from Ed Monk designs. Had to sell my 30' Tolly due to the high maintenance and horrendous fuel burn of the two gas engines.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #6

Jut spoke to the surveyor who will be there on Thur. Said that stringers and transom are typically non issue. That engines and running gear and systems are where we want to focus. Seems worth going forward.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #7

One point of concern was that the owner did no maint for the Past 6 yr! Excited but nervous...
Old 08-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
Just curious--- is this a gas boat or a diesel?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #9

gas
Old 08-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollytales View Post
gas
By chance is this around a 76 40' double cabin that came out of Anacortes as a repo about a month ago?

LB
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #11

no but i looked at that... why
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
I'll send you a PM.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #13
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Last Post on this TF thread was near seven yrs. ago, on 08/08/2012.

Guess I'd missed it completely. Hope this post actually get chance to be seen.

So... I just happened upon this old thread while searching Google trying to find out what's happening to Tollycraft Forum and Tollycraft Boating Club in general. The forum has been closed for months and it seems the Boating Club only posts on Face Book. Myself, I have no desire to be on nor follow FB! That includes for Tollycraft or anything else.

To keep the ball rolling:

As was mentioned, Tolly's are one heck of a well built boat. We plan to spend five [5] happy days out n' about for this 2019 Memorial Day weekend; will be aboard by early AM tomorrow and return next Tuesday eve.

By keeping our Tolly in covered slip and 100% fresh water [with no stray electric currents at the marina] our maintenance costs for the last decade have been minimal overall. Being that I swim under to keep all bottom items in good order each time we use her helps to minimize costs. General mechanics above water I do myself. If it's too technical or needs repeat work over periods of hours on different days I let the yard mechanics do their stuff [that's because it's docked 100 miles from home]. In the last decade at this marina I believe I've not topped $6K work on our Tolly... including parts I install and work that others did too.

Back to the Tolly Forum and Tolly Boating Club I'm currently researching:

Tolly forum underwent a supposedly top knotch, modernization revision about two plus years ago. Well, someone made BIG mistake. All contents of the forum's couple decade existence got erased. They tried and tried to get the contents back in place... unfortunately to no avail. Many tried n' true Tolly owners [myself included] did all we could to assist repairs; we even brought in some program experts... but all was lost. The boating club decided to set up the forum in same basic layout as before and asked all owners/members of the boating club as well as other contributors to the forum to repost all and anything they could to get the "Forum-Ball" rolling again. That equalled a whimper compared to previous robust forum.

The club raised annual fee from $50 to $75. Many stopped participating.

Seems that Tollycraft support opportunities are deeply dwindling. Also, and although there is still [ Tolly Classified - Authorized Tollycraft Parts ] for Tollycraft parts and other Tolly stuff ... it seems that that too may meet its demise.

In closing... I'd like to say... If you find a well cared for Tollycraft boat that has what you seek at a price you can afford, buy it, you'll very probably fall in love with it!

Happy Boating Daze - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Last Post on this TF thread was near seven yrs. ago, on 08/08/2012.

Guess I'd missed it completely. Hope this post actually get chance to be seen.

So... I just happened upon this old thread while searching Google trying to find out what's happening to Tollycraft Forum and Tollycraft Boating Club in general. The forum has been closed for months and it seems the Boating Club only posts on Face Book. Myself, I have no desire to be on nor follow FB! That includes for Tollycraft or anything else.

To keep the ball rolling:

As was mentioned, Tolly's are one heck of a well built boat. We plan to spend five [5] happy days out n' about for this 2019 Memorial Day weekend; will be aboard by early AM tomorrow and return next Tuesday eve.

By keeping our Tolly in covered slip and 100% fresh water [with no stray electric currents at the marina] our maintenance costs for the last decade have been minimal overall. Being that I swim under to keep all bottom items in good order each time we use her helps to minimize costs. General mechanics above water I do myself. If it's too technical or needs repeat work over periods of hours on different days I let the yard mechanics do their stuff [that's because it's docked 100 miles from home]. In the last decade at this marina I believe I've not topped $6K work on our Tolly... including parts I install and work that others did too.

Back to the Tolly Forum and Tolly Boating Club I'm currently researching:

Tolly forum underwent a supposedly top knotch, modernization revision about two plus years ago. Well, someone made BIG mistake. All contents of the forum's couple decade existence got erased. They tried and tried to get the contents back in place... unfortunately to no avail. Many tried n' true Tolly owners [myself included] did all we could to assist repairs; we even brought in some program experts... but all was lost. The boating club decided to set up the forum in same basic layout as before and asked all owners/members of the boating club as well as other contributors to the forum to repost all and anything they could to get the "Forum-Ball" rolling again. That equalled a whimper compared to previous robust forum.

The club raised annual fee from $50 to $75. Many stopped participating.

Seems that Tollycraft support opportunities are deeply dwindling. Also, and although there is still [ Tolly Classified - Authorized Tollycraft Parts ] for Tollycraft parts and other Tolly stuff ... it seems that that too may meet its demise.

In closing... I'd like to say... If you find a well cared for Tollycraft boat that has what you seek at a price you can afford, buy it, you'll very probably fall in love with it!

Happy Boating Daze - Art
Contact a Trawler Forum Moderator and request a Tolly Forum added to the Trawler Builders section. I just had our manufacturer to that section.

I live in "Tolly Land" - PNW and the Tolly is closer to a trawler in appearance and concept than some of the other manufacturers listed.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: He'e Nalu
Vessel Model: 44' Tollycraft CPMY
Hello everyone!

My wife and I are about to close on our first Tollycraft. We are excited and nervous about this big adventure.

Its a 44' CPMY and we have a lot of questions and a lot of upgrades/maintenance to do.

Thanks,

John
vancouvertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver, WA
Vessel Name: Yukon Jack
Vessel Model: 30' Tollycraft sedan
Congratulations Newbie on your purchase. I assume this is not your first boat.

I bought a Tolly 30' Sedan last fall and am getting it ready for summer. It needed a fair amount of maintenance, but nothing serious. I'll be following your posts as I'm sure we both have some of the same items to attend to.
NWpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:57 PM   #17
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Congrats vancouvertechie and NWpilot!!

I imagine your Tolly's will make as much love to you as you make to them. Our Tolly loves us and we love her! We keep her in very usable condition... with not too much lipstick! When we get time... wherever the heck "time" is hiding?? lol... We'll pull her and do a full dress up!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #18

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouvertechie View Post
Hello everyone!

My wife and I are about to close on our first Tollycraft. We are excited and nervous about this big adventure.

Its a 44' CPMY and we have a lot of questions and a lot of upgrades/maintenance to do.

Thanks,

John
Welcome to the world of Tollycraft. It can be a bit of a cult so you will have to be careful there. When I first looked at your post I thought you were another Canadian and I was going to harass you for buying one of the BC boats to keep it away from me. But you are in the other Vancouver?

In a strange sidetrack are you a former Arima guy?
LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #19
Guru

We owned a 26' and a 30' Tolly...both high quality, well built boats.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: He'e Nalu
Vessel Model: 44' Tollycraft CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowNSlow77 View Post
Welcome to the world of Tollycraft. It can be a bit of a cult so you will have to be careful there. When I first looked at your post I thought you were another Canadian and I was going to harass you for buying one of the BC boats to keep it away from me. But you are in the other Vancouver?

In a strange sidetrack are you a former Arima guy?
Yes, I am a former Arima guy and a Seasport as well.

VT
vancouvertechie is offline   Reply With Quote