Old 07-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Wow, George, I usually agree with all of your comments. But I really like the Carver Mariners from the early 80's. My favorite feature was the built-in bow seat (because our dogs love that) and next was the decent-sized cockpit (for fishing).

My only complaint was that their dual-engine running gear was too exposed for cruising in unfamiliar waters; I wished they had a deeper keel.

Now this thread has me wondering how their older models from the 80's are holding up.

Cheers and stay safe,
Mrs. Trombley
Funny we had a 1978 28’ Voyager model that looks almost exactly like your picture. Guessing by the side window that is a 33’.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #22
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
Gotta say that 355/356 is one of my favorite aft cabin (non-trawler) boats!

Space is really well designed and priced around 75K. The only issue for me, is that since most have gas engines, it really wouldn't be a great boat for long distance cruising.

Jim
Yep. Damn good boat. See my signature. And those B series Cummins were a perfect match for that hull. I burned about 16gph doing 18 knots. Not bad for a “big” planing powerboat.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #23
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Yep. Damn good boat. See my signature. And those B series Cummins were a perfect match for that hull. I burned about 16gph doing 18 knots. Not bad for a “big” planing powerboat.
I'd call that darn good for a boat that size. As best I can figure, those Cummins would take about 20 gph for 18 kts in my boat. And my gassers burn 30-32 to do it...
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas and Beaufort, SC
Vessel Name: Alibi II
Vessel Model: 1979 Schucker 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhook98 View Post
We had a 1989 3807. Great boat, but had gas motors. Great use of space and a ton of amenities. Great value and actually pretty good quality.
Had same. Totally agree. Really did a great job on space utilization/maximization. Was a good first boat for me. But gas engines . . . .
gunho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #25

City: Seattle
They're just fugly...most of them look like my sneaker shoe except their Voyager line.
Ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Phoenix
Vessel Name: King of Nothing
Vessel Model: Hampton Endurance 658
Had a 2002 carver voyager 57 for about 5 years. Great boat and support from factory. Had twin Cummings QSM 11 engines that ran great. Have purchased two new boats since then and wish I had kept the Carver. Resale was great, listed it and sold it within 6 weeks. A lot of windage so be sure to get bow thruster at minimum and stern thruster would be super nice.
Corky Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffryder View Post
They're just fugly...most of them look like my sneaker shoe except their Voyager line.
Most of them don't look like a sneaker shoe.....only the ones after about 2002!!!....
Old 10-15-2020, 01:42 AM   #28

City: Greensboro, nc
Looking at a carver 370 aft cabin with cat diesel engines. 1993 model. Anything I should be looking for that is common to this model. Plan on using it at trawler speeds. 8-10 knots on the icw. What should I be looking for as fuel usage. Thanks for y'all input. Coming from a 38' sailboat.
Detroito91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #29

City: Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Name: Pipe Dream
Vessel Model: Silverton 42C
Just had a contract fall through on a Carver. Seems that the last four years or so saw little to no preventive maintenance which has morphed into ten of thousands in corrective maintenance. Not to mention little things like several of the major components were advertised as "replaced" and still wore the serial numbers installed when the boat was new. I'm learning that there are no truth in advertising laws in boating.
PPandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #30

City: Arvada
So many dishonest people out there these days. It's really sad. Not the way I was raised.
Mountain sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroito91 View Post
Looking at a carver 370 aft cabin with cat diesel engines. 1993 model. Anything I should be looking for that is common to this model. Plan on using it at trawler speeds. 8-10 knots on the icw. What should I be looking for as fuel usage. Thanks for y'all input. Coming from a 38' sailboat.
The only thing I can think of is the soft block issue of the Cat 3116 which is likely what is in this boat. Most of them have been taken out of circulation but I would do my due diligence just to make sure. Call your local Cat dealer and see what the series of serial numbers are and then compare it to what is installed. Great plan otherwise. You are probably getting a great deal on a very roomy boat. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: Star Chaser
Vessel Model: 1982 Carver 3607
Miz Trom,

I have an '82 3607. 2 cabin, 2 head, Galley down, with flybridge & lower helm, 2 International Harvester 9.0L diesels (parts still available). Very solid hull (a 4x4 bounced off the bow crossing Okechobee @ ~10-12knts). Engine access isn't great (under the salon floor), ad she only carries 240 Gal of fuel, so short legs. Cruises easily 2200 rpm @ 12-15 knts & 6-8 Gal/Hr. I Love her. She's had 6 owners since new, with decreasing skill & care until I got her 5 years ago. I plan to take her through a complete overhaul over the next 5 years. I retire in 7 years & want some shakedown time before doing the loop.

The 3607 is big enough (36ft 7in at the waterline) to be comfortable for 3-4 adults, but small enough to be single handed.

My son & I got caught in a storm (NOAA didn't show anything about it) 6-8ft waves & 20-30 knot winds. Beat the crap out of both of us for ~3-4 hours, but not a drop got inside and all the pots, pans and crockery was still in the cupboards and unbroken.
StarChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #33
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Carver went from designing all of their boats by using only straight edges and triangles to using only French curves.

Like overnight.

As if someone put acid in the water cooler at work.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Seal Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Epiphany
Vessel Model: 2001 Maxum 4100 SCA
We are in the process of having an engine survey next week on a 1991 Carver 42 with dual Cummins. This particular boat has plenty of headroom to accommodate my 6'5" height which was a major selling point. We liked the absence of the lower helm which provides a bit more room in the salon. So far this boat looks good and if surveys come in good we will be taking it to Ensenada for some modifications and paint.
Jorgeinseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgeinseal View Post
We are in the process of having an engine survey next week on a 1991 Carver 42 with dual Cummins. This particular boat has plenty of headroom to accommodate my 6'5" height which was a major selling point. We liked the absence of the lower helm which provides a bit more room in the salon. So far this boat looks good and if surveys come in good we will be taking it to Ensenada for some modifications and paint.
Good luck with the survey. Hope it goes well, then we will need some photos...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #36
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Overall, they seem like fine boats and a good value. Came very close to buying one a while back and it was really cheap. (good value, not a bad boat).

But, had two major deal killers for me.

First, the one I looked at was a smaller (35ish an didn't have a cockpit OR a lower helm station).

The Voyager had a nice cockpit, but still no lower helm so didn't bother to even look at it. For "me" the lower helm is a must, especially in rough water and single handling.

But... had a fair amount of time on them, but always in easy weather.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post

The Voyager had a nice cockpit, but still no lower helm so didn't bother to even look at it. For "me" the lower helm is a must, especially in rough water and single handling.

But... had a fair amount of time on them, but always in easy weather.
I am surprised Voyager had no lower helm....unless it was a 37. Because usually the word that follows "Voyager" on the side of the boat is "Pilothouse". The Voyagers did begin to lose the Pilothouse in the later models as people did not like the amount of space sacrificed for them(me included).
Old 11-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #38
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I am surprised Voyager had no lower helm....unless it was a 37. Because usually the word that follows "Voyager" on the side of the boat is "Pilothouse". The Voyagers did begin to lose the Pilothouse in the later models as people did not like the amount of space sacrificed for them(me included).

Baker,

Me, too. I only looked at the 46, but didn't see one with a lower helm. Otherwise a pretty nice boat.

Would also prefer a flybridge that goes all the way to the back for dinghy storage and shade.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #39

City: Toronto,ON
Vessel Name: Acadia ll
Vessel Model: CHB
Carver

Had a 38 aft cabin for several years and cruised Florida and the Bahamas. I called it "a poor mans Caddilac". Liked it well enough with one exception which is why I moved on - the windage was horrible. With a 3 1/2 ft draft it rolled badly, dunking one rail and then the next if even the slightest wind or sea got on the beam.
Mike Lowthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #40
Guru

Is the hull cored or solid glass?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote