Old 07-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #21

City: Nashville
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Vessel Model: Great Harbour TT35
Allen Cargile, the boat’s builder had a limited marketing budget, and decided to take the boat from New York to Paris, in hopes the publicity would help him sell lots of boats. It might have worked if he hadn’t sailed up the Seine on the day that Elvis died, and his story was ignored by the mainstream press.
tom hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #22
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hudson View Post
Allen Cargile, the boat’s builder had a limited marketing budget, and decided to take the boat from New York to Paris, in hopes the publicity would help him sell lots of boats. It might have worked if he hadn’t sailed up the Seine on the day that Elvis died, and his story was ignored by the mainstream press.
lol, bad stuff you can't prepare for. Kind of a bummer, I think it would have a niche larger than it had..I admire his vision
Old 07-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #23

City: Nashville
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Vessel Model: Great Harbour TT35
Cargile wanted to design a family weekend cruiser that could be towed behind a full-size station wagon or sedan of the day. It was narrow enough that it didn’t need a wide load permit. It was built in 28’ and 30’ lengths.
tom hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:36 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
OK, so it was available in 28’ or 30’ of ugly...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #25

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Okay, I confess, I own one. "71, LM318, 28'. 600 of them made in the 70's by Alan Cargile in Nashville TN. On the 50th anniversary of the Lindbergh Atlantic flight (1977?) He sailed one across the Atlantic from New York to Paris, unassisted. He had 1400 gals of diesel on board. Amazing story documented in the May 1978 edition of the Ensign magazine. This is a warmer weather boat. No helm in the cabin, only the flying bridge. The cabin is spacious, 8'x14', plus a full head and V-berth forward. Stand up walk through all the way hence the tremendous freeboard forward. I live in Florida. Works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
1978 Ensign Magazine Article 1.jpg   1978 Ensign Magazine Article 2.jpg   1978 Ensign Magazine Article 3.jpg   1978 Ensign Magazine Article 4.jpg   1978 Ensign Magazine Article 5.jpg  

1978 Press Release.jpg  
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #26
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I am sure the Cutter article is very interesting. Alas my eyes cannot read the fine print and I cannot get it to enlarge clearly. POUT

He was proving a point.... 'under the proper circumstance the boat can successfully cross the ocean.'
I doubt if he was recommending others try.

The, then, new small Nordhavn made the trip to Bermuda in the company of a couple other larger Nordhavn and refueled, a little bit, along the way from one of the larger boats, with a pump and a garden hose.
I am guessing the boat is still there because there was never an article about the return trip.
The folks at Nordhavn, who made the trip, did say, it was a voyage to prove the seaworthiness of the design and did make a point, they would not recommend doing it again.
They traveled with the folks from Nordhavn, lots of spare parts and at least one engineer/mechanic from Nordhavn plus at least one electronic guru.

We did have one 25-30 foot fishing boat depart from this marina. They did have one fuel bladder in the cockpit. They were headed to someplace in northern South America. I moved my boat in the marina so I never walk by their slip anymore. I did not know if they planned to come back or just sell the boat at their destination. As I recall, they too had 3 people on board.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #27
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
I thought my first wife was ugly but this is really the worst looking boat I’ve seen, I may have nightmares tonight.
You married a woman you thought was ugly?

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I am sure the Cutter article is very interesting. Alas my eyes cannot read the fine print and I cannot get it to enlarge clearly. POUT

He was proving a point.... 'under the proper circumstance the boat can successfully cross the ocean.'
I doubt if he was recommending others try.

The, then, new small Nordhavn made the trip to Bermuda in the company of a couple other larger Nordhavn and refueled, a little bit, along the way from one of the larger boats, with a pump and a garden hose.
I am guessing the boat is still there because there was never an article about the return trip.
The folks at Nordhavn, who made the trip, did say, it was a voyage to prove the seaworthiness of the design and did make a point, they would not recommend doing it again.
They traveled with the folks from Nordhavn, lots of spare parts and at least one engineer/mechanic from Nordhavn plus at least one electronic guru.

We did have one 25-30 foot fishing boat depart from this marina. They did have one fuel bladder in the cockpit. They were headed to someplace in northern South America. I moved my boat in the marina so I never walk by their slip anymore. I did not know if they planned to come back or just sell the boat at their destination. As I recall, they too had 3 people on board.

The Cutter and her crew was hit with some severe weather and seas. They used a storm droug off the bow while reversing into waves to keep the boat from being rolled. At least that is my understanding from the article.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #29
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Ben. I married her in the ‘60s while we were both in school (undergraduate) so that should give you a clue. After three years she became fugly. We parted and I went work making $$$, I had to pay her off.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Ben. I married her in the ‘60s while we were both in school (undergraduate) so that should give you a clue. After three years she became fugly. We parted and I went work making $$$, I had to pay her off.

I see. I nearly had that experience myself. Young and pretty. Then a few years later, what the heck happened?

Old 07-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #31
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Friz:

Cool boat! And I do NOT think it is ugly at all; your boat is uniquely attractive.

When we get back to our home in FL in November, we'd love to visit your unique boat on our unique boat. Maybe we can also raft up with Carl on his Scout, and create a real ruckus.

Do you trailer it much or primarily cruise Florida? We've had some trailering adventures this summer and are presently on the Tennesse River.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #32
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Ben

Exactly, and I did it again.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Ben

Exactly, and I did it again.

I'm twice divorced and working on a third, even though we aren't technically married. 18 years with a 16 year old son, I may as well be.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Houston
My ex started to turn into a truly ugly person the day I married her, and went downhill from there. Swore I'd never make that mistake again - 25 years and holding, still (legally) single. Had I not gotten out when I did, I wouldn't be on a boat forum today - I'd be dead of a massive heart attack or a debilitating stroke (or be on death row) - in any event, broke.

Todd
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I'm twice divorced and working on a third, even though we aren't technically married. 18 years with a 16 year old son, I may as well be.
Married and divorced 3 times, no children at all. No longer are there $400 divorces. The last one cost me over $100K and I was happy to pay my lawyer, her lawyer and gave his a 'lovely parting gift'.
I gave up on getting married. Obviously, I am no good at it. SHRUG
Now I have a sweet, gentle VN house mouse with a heart of gold. And yes, I did tell her, I will never marry again. She has accepted that.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #36

City: Grass Valley Ca
Vessel Name: n/a
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander
Not only ugly, dangerous

One went turtle on SFBay a number of years ago, during a fleet week show all aboard went to upper deck for viewing,as I remember everyone survived.
Any boat that trailers down the freeway belongs on the freeway.
learjett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by learjett2 View Post
ouch! :d
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd2 View Post
ouch! :d
Yeah, that kind of grazes my feelings. The boat I'm building is offshore capable displacement cruiser. It is also trailerable.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #39

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by learjett2 View Post
One went turtle on SFBay a number of years ago, during a fleet week show all aboard went to upper deck for viewing,as I remember everyone survived.
A comment intended to stir things up, consciously or not. Apparently oblivious to the outcome of overloading any vessel. Curious if your bucket of bolts could make such a crossing?
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:49 PM   #40
Guru

Too many people on one side and or up high can make a boat unstable.
Many years ago, (in Chicago, 1930s?) Summer excursion, day trip for a picnic ..... ferry, everyone went to the dock side of the vessel to wave good bye. Boat took on water, sank at the pier, many lives were lost.