Old 01-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
JHP

City: Stillwater
Vessel Name: Uncorked
Vessel Model: Cruisers Yachts Cantius 45
Cape Scott

A newbie to the forum - Looking into boat options and came across Cape Scott Builders, now building steel expedition level boats. Nice web site, but not a lot of information elsewhere. Does anyone have experience or insight into these guys. Really like the 74 for a long term liveaboard. Any thought appreciated.
JHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHP View Post
A newbie to the forum - Looking into boat options and came across Cape Scott Builders, now building steel expedition level boats. Nice web site, but not a lot of information elsewhere. Does anyone have experience or insight into these guys. Really like the 74 for a long term liveaboard. Any thought appreciated.
Nice boats. Looks like they have mostly built 100'+ traditional luxury yachts in the past. Given the scantlings of these vessels, when you say "liveaboard", where were you thinking? Antarctica? An ice class rating seems a bit overkill otherwise. One thing that confused me about their site.... Under the construction link, it appears they are saying that below the waterline the steel is 600mm thick, which would be around 20". Really?
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
JHP

City: Stillwater
Vessel Name: Uncorked
Vessel Model: Cruisers Yachts Cantius 45
I think the site indicates reinforced steel hull 400 mm above WL and 600 MM below WL, not 600 mm thick steel which is obviously not the case. the keel foot is 30 mm thick.
I agree they may seem overbuilt, but traveling to Alaska or considering the northern crossing either atlantic or pacific would be reassuring.
My questions is that I'm not finding anything current (since 2015) and whether anyone knows why not? Are they still in business, or have they moved on to …?
JHP is offline   Reply With Quote