Old 02-28-2021, 01:44 PM   #81
cfr

City: Hamburg
Hi from Germany, if you want steel or aluminium there are many yards who can built within the required length of 60 to 80 ft. Actually they are doing it since long but people are not so often use them, the like to cruise arround europe , the baltic and the Med so actually crossing to the us or pacific is not highest on the list. Here Nordhavn are nor so familiar because GRP is per se not the choice of european going ocean. Dutch boat builders are perfect in steel but more one off boats, nor mass production. We do this with Beneteau , Bavaria, Hanse etc but Motorboats is a different story.

artnautica.eu
vryburg.nl
Altena yard
Korvet
Elling

Selene/Nordhav, Krogen are not that common here
Dutch builders are not as good as HN in marketing but i believe better in shipbuilding, but expensiv.....
cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:38 AM   #82

City: monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
As an old thread has now had a "yep" posted, an update on Bering. They've really moved into larger boats. So far this year they've started construction on a 107, with no indication that it's sold, but also started a 145' that they do indicate is sold and showing another in build. I don't know the actual role of Bering vs. the yard but it's definitely significant and a change of direction for them. They are offering 4 models over 100'. Also, a 92' in production. So a lot of press releases recently.
Bering has currently 8 vessels in build for clients. 4 of them, B70, B76, B77 and B92 will be launched this year and B106, B117 and 2 x B145 will be delivered the consecutive years.

Bering is located within the Antalya free trade zone, the major maritime hub in this area, and perfected its operations and quality control over the years. Turkey is known for its craftsmanship and yacht quality and it has invested significantly over the years.

Bering's fleet has cruised more than 100,000 nm around the world and they pride themselves to build very capable, safe and seaworthy vessels. There is still a strong focus on vessels below 100'. The yachts below 24 meters are developed and are built to be practical, functional and most of all owners-operator-friendly.

Currently, Bering is expanding with its own sales offices to the US, Europe and Russia. The clients can't be labelled to be Russians and Eastern Europeans only, as the are currently vessels in build for Europe, US and Asia.
bogdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #83
Scraping Paint

City: Ashburn
I saw topics about Bering Yachts and was interested in them.
KarlF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:01 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

City: Ashburn
I find this company very interesting and it is a good business.
KarlF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #85
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlF4 View Post
I find your comment that it is a good business to be very suspect. Perhaps you can elaborate.

I know several people who were heavily involved with Bering from the outset from broker to supporter by news publication. Two have had bills now not paid by Bering. Bering has repeatedly spammed boating websites with their own representatives or friends posting. Just keep in mind that their international headquarters is a home in Cary, NC. I also know an experienced Captain who looked recently at a 2013 model and was extremely disappointed in the craftsmanship. However, that boat was not built where they are now.

I'd just be very wary of the older ones and I'd be wary of the company today. Be careful. As always, if buying used, then survey, survey, survey. If buying new, I'd recommend a builder with a better current reputation in the industry. When you have both brokers and publishers claiming not to have been paid, that's not a good image. Nor is it when periodically there are efforts to promote the brand on forums that come, not from owners, but employees and friends.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #86
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
I saw topics about Bering Yachts and was interested in them.
Quote:
Excellent first two posts. Not at all suspicious. A completely impartial endorsement of the company.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
Excellent first two posts. Not at all suspicious. A completely impartial endorsement of the company.
Don't be so suspicious. Why next thing you might point out is that his profile shows him in Ashburn, Arizona, which would be Ashburn Mountain. However, perhaps in his haste, he also put a zip code which is for Ashburn, Virginia. However, I'm sure many of us don't know our state or zip code. My normal state is one of Confusion and I think our zip code is 00000 or similar. I'm just cautioning that I'm sure Karl has a logical explanation. I have no idea about the F4, but then maybe English isn't their first language.

It's sort of like this statement on Bering's site where you sign up for their newsletter. "Useful articles for yacht lovers! No spam. We only send important things."
Old 11-27-2021, 06:56 AM   #88
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
You buy or build a specific boat. Not a brand nor a model. But a specific boat. On the support side brand becomes important as even new builds will require aftermarket support. During our new build we did ask (and received) detailed reviews of what was done. We had a performance contract. We didn’t get surveys at each stage but some do. It’s your money. Spend it wisely.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
You buy or build a specific boat. Not a brand nor a model. But a specific boat. On the support side brand becomes important as even new builds will require aftermarket support. During our new build we did ask (and received) detailed reviews of what was done. We had a performance contract. We didn’t get surveys at each stage but some do. It’s your money. Spend it wisely.
The big difference between new and used is that on used, it is what it is, you can get it surveyed and sea trial it and you're no longer dependent on the builder. On new, you're dependent on the builder to, 1-do the job contracted for, 2-perform warranty service, and 3-be financially stable and trustworthy enough to not leave you hanging out to dry.

Number 3 can be the most difficult sometimes to ascertain and to protect yourself from. When the corporate is headquartered in one country, the owners are from another, the yard is in another as is the case with Bering and many others then any issues integrity are frightening. If you think it can't happen to you, then just ask all they yacht buyers who have had to buy the builder to get their boat completed. Ask those including manufacturers who had boats being built by Christensen, or many left having to try to collect from Northern or Kakawi buyers with Marlow or TT35 buyers with Mirage or Sunseeker buyers with Rick Obey. It can be as severe as the builder going out of business or as simple as you reach the end and suddenly a long list of extra charges and you've paid the contracted amount but you want the boat, you'll pay these charges or else you can try to sue and wait.

We only buy new, but we do so knowing there are a lot of extra perils in doing so.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #90
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
...You buy or build a specific boat. Not a brand nor a model....
I'm not sure. You have to take a lot on faith and trust when you buy new I would think. Do they teach their employees to cust costs and save time, or be thorough ? Do they encourage production workers to speak up when they notice things ? Are they deadline driven or process driven, etc. When you get a new boat you don't know if the adhesive has a nice continuous bead at the deck to hull joint or if it was haphazardly applied because the applicator was in a rush. I think when those questions pop into your head in 6 foot seas and 40 knot winds you have to fall back on: "Company X has built hundreds of boats and has been doing it long enough that my boat is going to be OK". You don't want to be asking yourself if your boat manufacturer is the nautical equivalent of the Edsel.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:01 PM   #91

City: Ft. Lauderdale
In spite of having concluded 3 Bering sales, I have not represented Bering for several years. Note that I have stayed out of the Bering discussions in spite of being, IMHO, the only broker that specializes in steel trawlers. Btw, none of my issues are over commissions or money owed.
Judy at JWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #92
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy at JWY View Post
In spite of having concluded 3 Bering sales, I have not represented Bering for several years. Note that I have stayed out of the Bering discussions in spite of being, IMHO, the only broker that specializes in steel trawlers. Btw, none of my issues are over commissions or money owed.
It sounds like you could add some useful information to this thread if you would like to discuss your experiences.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:25 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: So, would you today recommend ordering a new Bering? Would you still recommend used or is there a period you would and would not? Teachers ask the hard questions.

Message to KarlF4. Judy can help you. Sorry, Judy, the Devil made me do that.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:00 AM   #94

City: Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
It sounds like you could add some useful information to this thread if you would like to discuss your experiences.
I can, but won't. Sorry, I hope I am usually perceived as being generous with the information and opinions I offer, but I think my absence of information is information.
Judy at JWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #95
Guru

Quote:
I can, but won't. Sorry, I hope I am usually perceived as being generous with the information and opinions I offer, but I think my absence of information is information.
Wifey B: And KarlF4 will be so disappointed but not nearly as much so as he would be if you did share the information. Wonder how they chose the name KarlF4 this time of if there is a person named Karl now in their organization? Just idle minds are wondering. Maybe Karl is a Female, hence the F. Or could just be last name but surely we haven't had nor have they had 4 Karls. Oh well.

This effort at spamming the board only lasted for two posts though, about 30 seconds.

Now I'm going to translate for those slow to catch on. Distinguished broker helps them open the US market. Now that broker no longer deals with them and refuses to discuss them at all. Translation from English to Chinese to Polish to Russian to English is "Peril proceed risk own." Notice how like all google translations then sentence structure loses something but the words are all still there.

So much for my morning entertainment. Now to breakfast I go.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:52 AM   #96
Scraping Paint

City: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovinlife_NC View Post
WOW! That is rich, Brett! Capt Factchecker! I can't believe how you hard you failed in your endless blathering of nonsense in your attempt to police the forum. Then, you went calling out someone by name? LMAO! You are an idiot.
Bugaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:50 AM   #97
Guru

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Quote:
my absence of information is information.
Love it!
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:45 PM   #98

City: KCMO
Quote:

Not looking to drift the conversation, but...

It feels like there are a ton of expedition/steel trawler type builders coming out of Turkey now. If Bering has already pooped the proverbial sheet box how do some of these other builders fare like Numarine?

Who has good to great reputations right now or has the industry pushed back to the Italians?

Asking for a friend
JLAUGHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:06 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAUGHL View Post
Not looking to drift the conversation, but...

It feels like there are a ton of expedition/steel trawler type builders coming out of Turkey now. If Bering has already pooped the proverbial sheet box how do some of these other builders fare like Numarine?

Who has good to great reputations right now or has the industry pushed back to the Italians?

Asking for a friend
Keep in mind, Numarine has been building boats far longer than Bering. I believe they own their own facility as well. Vicem has been building since 1991. Then there are dozens of others. One that is very interesting too is Sirena. While I believe they only build in GRP, they are a newer company, but a long time yard that has built many Magellano for Azimut-Benetti.

There are many excellent builders world wide. While some would say the best are in the Netherlands and Germany and more performance boats in Italy, nothing wrong with Chinese or Turkish builders.

The key, wherever you're doing business, is to know who you're dealing with and their dependability, ethics, finances, and quality. If you can't have someone on site regularly, at least have someone periodically. The exception might be for a proven builder like Helmsman who sends you photos regularly.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:10 PM   #100
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

There are many excellent builders world wide. While some would say the best are in the Netherlands and Germany and more performance boats in Italy, nothing wrong with Chinese or Turkish builders.

The key, wherever you're doing business, is to know who you're dealing with and their dependability, ethics, finances, and quality. If you can't have someone on site regularly, at least have someone periodically. The exception might be for a proven builder like Helmsman who sends you photos regularly.
I would add that understanding the political, legal, cultural and economic situation in the boat builder's country is very important.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote