City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Nice.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:53 AM   #62
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Congrats Fonster. Is vessel stabilized, what engine and range?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #63
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great looking boat, Fonster! Welcome to TF.

Show us more...

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #64

City: New York
Always liked the look of Berings....Stout, seaworthy looking...
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #65

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Apogee
Vessel Model: Clipper Cordova 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genecop View Post
Always liked the look of Berings....Stout, seaworthy looking...
Fonster is un-stabilized, but weighing in at over 68Tons she has natural stability.
Powered by a Cummins QSL9 @ 285HP with a 60HP wing.
Range is 3000 ~ 4000 Nm @ 7~8 Kn.
Prepping for a 2 year cruise to Australian top end and Indonesia due June 2019.
Fonster Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:18 AM   #66

City: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonster Too View Post
Fonster is un-stabilized, but weighing in at over 68Tons she has natural stability.
Powered by a Cummins QSL9 @ 285HP with a 60HP wing.
Range is 3000 ~ 4000 Nm @ 7~8 Kn.
Prepping for a 2 year cruise to Australian top end and Indonesia due June 2019.

Dave, sounds like a great trip..enjoy every minute, I’m sure the Bering will keep you safe and sound...
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #67

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Apogee
Vessel Model: Clipper Cordova 52
Thank you, I plan to set up a blog or something to document the trip.
Cheers Dave
Fonster Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #68

City: lockhart
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
You need to take a chill pill, Capt. Short temper.
Yep
phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #69
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
As an old thread has now had a "yep" posted, an update on Bering. They've really moved into larger boats. So far this year they've started construction on a 107, with no indication that it's sold, but also started a 145' that they do indicate is sold and showing another in build. I don't know the actual role of Bering vs. the yard but it's definitely significant and a change of direction for them. They are offering 4 models over 100'. Also, a 92' in production. So a lot of press releases recently.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:42 PM   #70

Bering v Norhdavn

I seem to remember a thread discussing Bering v Nordhavn but I can't find it. Maybe it was on another forum.

I'd be interested in any opinions. I don't have one because I don't know enough to have an informed one.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillippeterson View Post
I seem to remember a thread discussing Bering v Nordhavn but I can't find it. Maybe it was on another forum.

I'd be interested in any opinions. I don't have one because I don't know enough to have an informed one.
That would be interesting. First, as to the companies. Nordhavn with decades of experience and proof of their ability building in China and great continuity including survival during the great recession. Started in the US by Americans. Early boats were in the 40's in length and have grown from there but attempt at 120 was not a successful undertaking and remain sub 100'. Bering, headquartered in a home in the Raleigh, NC area and building now in Turkey. Started by a Russian in the US. Started in the mid 60's in length and had very few builds for years but have now grown to builds in the 100'+ range.

Materials. Nordhavn was a leader in fiberglass passagemaking. Bering produces steel hulls.

Target customer. Nordhavn's initial target was the US customer and have continued with success there and some in Europe and Asia. Bering did target the US customer but without great success. Now many of their customers are Russian and Eastern European. While Nordhavn's focus is sub 100' and not the "Yacht" market, Bering's focused has moved up and they are definitely moving toward the high end Yacht market. Nordhavn has mostly been owner/operator and Bering is moving toward the crewed yacht level.

Nordhavn has a history of building passage making boats. Some has been highly publicized and has overrated their capabilities by making it seem no one else's boats were equally capable. Others have proven to be. Nordhavn also is not known for delivery on time or trouble free or quick commissioning, but their customer knows them, likes dealing with them, accepts that as part of it.

Bering has less history, but nothing appears to dispute the capabilities of their boats. In terms of true passage making, steel still has some advantages over fiberglass in the minds of most. However, we still don't have long track records of their current factories they use or their management of production. I couldn't tell you what to expect in terms of scheduling or issues after delivery, that's neither good nor bad, just unknown. Part of that is the majority of builds not to the US and not to areas most of us have a lot of contacts.

Bering has turned away from competition with Nordhavn. Their smaller boats would compete with Nordhavn's largest. Instead they're now targeting the other builders of steel hulls throughout Europe and doing so at lower price points by building in Turkey. They're the discounters to all those others and Turkey has a history of good workmanship. With previous Turkey builders the main criticism has been styling and design. Vicem has been there for decades but now there are supposedly 107 builders in Turkey.

With Nordhavn, everything is mostly known. Bering does involve the unknown. What happens during a recession? How dependable are they? How trustworthy? I just don't know those answers while I know so much about Nordhavn, both the good and the bad.

I think if you want a passagemaker in the 50-85' range, Nordhavn's an excellent option and proven in that range. However, if you're looking for steel in the 65' and up range, as far up as 145', and you're not willing to pay Dutch or German prices, then Bering is worthy of consideration.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:47 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That would be interesting. First, as to the companies. Nordhavn with decades of experience and proof of their ability building in China and great continuity including survival during the great recession. Started in the US by Americans. Early boats were in the 40's in length and have grown from there but attempt at 120 was not a successful undertaking and remain sub 100'. Bering, headquartered in a home in the Raleigh, NC area and building now in Turkey. Started by a Russian in the US. Started in the mid 60's in length and had very few builds for years but have now grown to builds in the 100'+ range.

Materials. Nordhavn was a leader in fiberglass passagemaking. Bering produces steel hulls.

Target customer. Nordhavn's initial target was the US customer and have continued with success there and some in Europe and Asia. Bering did target the US customer but without great success. Now many of their customers are Russian and Eastern European. While Nordhavn's focus is sub 100' and not the "Yacht" market, Bering's focused has moved up and they are definitely moving toward the high end Yacht market. Nordhavn has mostly been owner/operator and Bering is moving toward the crewed yacht level.

Nordhavn has a history of building passage making boats. Some has been highly publicized and has overrated their capabilities by making it seem no one else's boats were equally capable. Others have proven to be. Nordhavn also is not known for delivery on time or trouble free or quick commissioning, but their customer knows them, likes dealing with them, accepts that as part of it.

Bering has less history, but nothing appears to dispute the capabilities of their boats. In terms of true passage making, steel still has some advantages over fiberglass in the minds of most. However, we still don't have long track records of their current factories they use or their management of production. I couldn't tell you what to expect in terms of scheduling or issues after delivery, that's neither good nor bad, just unknown. Part of that is the majority of builds not to the US and not to areas most of us have a lot of contacts.

Bering has turned away from competition with Nordhavn. Their smaller boats would compete with Nordhavn's largest. Instead they're now targeting the other builders of steel hulls throughout Europe and doing so at lower price points by building in Turkey. They're the discounters to all those others and Turkey has a history of good workmanship. With previous Turkey builders the main criticism has been styling and design. Vicem has been there for decades but now there are supposedly 107 builders in Turkey.

With Nordhavn, everything is mostly known. Bering does involve the unknown. What happens during a recession? How dependable are they? How trustworthy? I just don't know those answers while I know so much about Nordhavn, both the good and the bad.

I think if you want a passagemaker in the 50-85' range, Nordhavn's an excellent option and proven in that range. However, if you're looking for steel in the 65' and up range, as far up as 145', and you're not willing to pay Dutch or German prices, then Bering is worthy of consideration.
Which Dutch or German builders should I look in to?
Old 02-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Which Dutch or German builders should I look in to?
For what? What type boat, what size boat?
Old 02-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #74

Quote:
For what? What type boat, what size boat?
60 to 80 ocean crossing with minimal crew.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:30 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:
60 to 80 ocean crossing with minimal crew.
I can't think of any Dutch or German builders who I'd recommend in that range. They're just not building ocean crossing boats that small. Turkey, China, and Taiwan would appear to be the ways to turn.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:50 PM   #76

I think I found my boat - Fleming 85.

That said, I'd welcome any comments as to the bad side of this boat.

.... And I don't see a builders forum for these boats.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:00 PM   #77

Quote:
I can't think of any Dutch or German builders who I'd recommend in that range. They're just not building ocean crossing boats that small. Turkey, China, and Taiwan would appear to be the ways to turn.
The Fleming 85 has my attention. I don't see any builders forum for these. The only thing I can find are accolades. I hope to find some comments both happy and sad about these boats.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:54 PM   #78
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonster Too View Post
Thank you, I plan to set up a blog or something to document the trip.
Cheers Dave
Funnily enough.......

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-...ring-55/257946

Could not find anything online to suggest the Indo trip eventuated
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #79
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I too am a "buy American" type, but I would not rule out Taiwan made boats such as the Flemings or Krogens and many other high quality established brands. Plus, Taiwan deserves our support. I am automatically suspicious of anything from mainland China, so would need to do some intensive due diligence just as we do when sourcing other products from there (I'm in the electronics business).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:51 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
I think I found my boat - Fleming 85.

That said, I'd welcome any comments as to the bad side of this boat.

.... And I don't see a builders forum for these boats.
I'd suggest taking this to another thread and out of the Bering one. However, I think a Fleming 85 merits consideration as do Ocean Reef, Selene, Hampton, Horizon, Cheoy Lee and others, along with Nordhavn and Bering.