Old 10-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #21
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
I put this one up in 2019 and did contact the broker but had no response
I know she is back in charter but given COVID I doubt that is working to plan
Not sure if she is still for sale or not but the price seemed good from an Australian perspective
Quote:

Price: 189,500usd offers invited OWNER SAID SELL!!! Make an offer. This Sea Ranger 65 has just completed an extensive refit, perfect liveaboard or generate an income in the lucrative charter industry Its a lot of boat & priced to sell

Sea Ranger 65 power boat REDUCED | Phuket Cruising Yacht Club
Old 10-03-2021, 03:26 PM   #22
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Here is a Boattest review which gives some history.

https://boattest.com/node/70286
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:19 PM   #23

City: Seattle
That's a cool boat wish they had more pics of it.
Oneuglynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Boston, MA
Vessel Name: Fintry
Vessel Model: x Royal Navy Fleet Tender
Two comments.

First, Fintry is for sale for a whole lot less money than any of the boats mentioned above.

Second, it's around 4,000 miles from Seattle to Panama. While all of that could be done fairly close to land, much of the land is inhospitable in one way or another --- either no harbors or difficult politics. With a spouse skittish about ocean travel, you might do much better to look on the East Coast for your boat.

Jim
Circumnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: St. Clair Shores, MI
Vessel Name: Solvogn
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Sure Aboaut All This Loangrange Stuff?

I lived in Seattle and cruised the San Juans and Puget Sound in a 16-foot Glen-L daysailer with lots of camping equipment aboard so we could beach it at night and set up our tent. Now we travel the Great Lakes in a Grand Banks 32 and love it. Do you really want and need some big ocean-crossing boat for the Caribbean? Guess I would have good look at the boats that cruise that area and see what they have.
grandbanksbayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: St. Clair Shores, MI
Vessel Name: Solvogn
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Caribbean?

Check out the boats that are cruising that area. See what it really takes. "Go Anywhere" really sounds good but what are the weather-seastate conditions down there most of the time?
grandbanksbayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #27

I agree I actually have quite a bit of cruising experience in the San Juans as my parents bought a place on Guemes Island in 1985 when I was 15...now I'm 53 and older than my parents were when they bought the place...lol. The issue I'm having as most of us have here the the better half won't step on any boat that doesn't feel like a tank and otherwise I'd get a Californian LRC 42' older Tollycraft 44, West Coast 46' or any older trawler. I'm in a rock in a hard spot with her so I'm trying to please her so we can get on the water. If you see a good one please send it my way and I'll show her anything. Trust me I'm not excited about the cost of the other boats mentioned.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #28

I agree, is Fintry your vessel? I think I saw that on yachtworld? Was a very cool boat..would be interested in showing it to better half.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:37 AM   #29
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneuglynerd View Post
The issue I'm having as most of us have here the the better half won't step on any boat that doesn't feel like a tank… I'm in a rock in a hard spot with her so I'm trying to please her so we can get on the water.

I hear you! My wife is only comfortable cruising canals in little boats or on big steel ferries if out in the “real water”

For my next boat I’m aiming for about 45-50 tons and steel - that is my ideal.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:01 AM   #30

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
Rough guess what’s your price range? Any requirements like you need it to be on this side of the pond or would you be willing to buy a boat Europe and have it shipped over or professionally crewed over if you found the right deal? I’m always searching and tend too find more heavily built steel boats in the higher end fit out you have indicated you like in Europe than in the US. Fintry is a perfect example of what I was saying, amazing fit out and something you couldn’t replicate in the pleasure boat market without massive funds but built in England I believe. They just built more 50-80 foot steel boats while on this side of the pond have had a love affair with fiberglass. And more and more of those older European boats are getting complete gut jobs with yacht quality interiors so better deals tend to be had. Honestly fintry is one of the better deals on this side of the pond, I haven’t found another ship her size with gyro stabilization anywhere near her price on either side of the ocean. I’d honestly love to know how often they really use it though, I bet that’s an amazingly stable ship even without the gyro stabilization.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #31

Price range trying to keep it at 1 million or less. At this point anything is possible and we'd look at any boat worth buying. Talking about steel trawlers we went and looked at the 60 Cape Horn on yachtworld.com in Seattle last weekend. Now that was a ship! Simply amazing how over-built it was, not to mention the bathrooms were the size you would find in a house and I mean all of them. Also the salesman told us it was ice rated which seemed believable. Problem was there was more rust present than we were comfortable with and the paint job had some pretty large spots where it was pulling off the boat. I left with with feeling that the guy was selling it due to the rust battle and upcoming maintenance that was due to it. Otherwise I was all in but I'm not looking for a project when spending 800k on a boat....it's got to be turn key at that price.

Tags
blue-water, carribean, liveaboard, lrc, trawler