Insurance in Mexico?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKDoug

Guru
Vessel Name
Melanie Rose
Vessel Make
1999 Willard PH
I have searched the data base, nothing useful came up. I am seriously considering a run to Mexico next summer and wintering over on the Pacific Coast, and am insured only in US waters to 50 miles offshore (including transit through Canada).

Liability insurance seems easy to come by, but I would prefer to be fully covered. Can anyone enlighten me as to companies that provide insurance will full coverage in Mexico and possibly the expense of such insurance.

Vessel value is about $150,000 and there would be no lien holder.

I have searched the data base, nothing useful came up. I am seriously considering a run to Mexico next summer and wintering over on the Pacific Coast, and am insured only in US waters to 50 miles offshore (including transit through Canada).

Liability insurance seems easy to come by, but I would prefer to be fully covered. Can anyone enlighten me as to companies that provide insurance will full coverage in Mexico and possibly the expense of such insurance.

Vessel value is about $150,000 and there would be no lien holder.

What has your current broker said? Many marine insurers can insure you wherever you want to go. Get a good broker and let them do the work.

My broker has been helpful changing my navigation limits several times this year, first for a trip across the Gulf of Alaska, then down the West Coast USA, and now (well, soon) into Mexico. I've had to fill out forms detailing boat equipment and crew experience and pay a little bit extra for some legs, but the broker has made it pretty easy.

The broker is Boat Insurance (at Elliott Bay Marina in Seattle) and the underwriter is Chubb.

My recollection is it was about $750 each to add coverage for Gulf of Alaska and Mexico. Gulf of Alaska they also increased the deductible, but I don't think they did for Mexico. If we planned to be in Mexico during hurricane season, we'd need to have another conversation.

Last edited:
I have been using my State Farm Insurance for the past coverage on my boats (not a broker) and they don't insure boats outside of the US and the Canadian coast. I have been looking at insurance in Mexico but have only found liability advertised, it looks like I will need to go to a broker.

Thank you for pointing out that I will probably need to go through a broker for more than liability coverage. My current coverage is good to 50 miles offshore, and has only cost about $60 a month, so I haven't been doing any comparison shopping.

I have been using my State Farm Insurance for the past coverage on my boats (not a broker) and they don't insure boats outside of the US and the Canadian coast. I have been looking at insurance in Mexico but have only found liability advertised, it looks like I will need to go to a broker.

Thank you for pointing out that I will probably need to go through a broker for more than liability coverage. My current coverage is good to 50 miles offshore, and has only cost about $60 a month, so I haven't been doing any comparison shopping.

Then you need to turn to a marine broker. There are many good ones. Even some here on this site. Don't search for insurance, search for a broker.

Peter Ricks can fix you up.

(800) 823 2798

I had a great conversation with my broker the other day.

Above 27N and you are good to go year round on the pacific side.

Below 27N and you've got some challenges being covered until nov 1st.

My plan is to be in Ensenada for a couple months as a wind down from my 3,000 mile cruise. Get any work needed caught up with, and chill.

Then depart on or about Nov 1 down the baja.

Everyones cruising style is different. I intend to reserve a slip for the 6 month period starting Nov 15th in a couple weeks when I can scope out the marinas in La Paz in person.

Then in early May boogie back up the coast and summer somewhere a bit cooler. Where??? who knows.

Well I'll catch up with you in Ensenada then :) I will check into coverage into Ensenada, since it will be cheaper moorage than California for sure. Now to look at where 27N is...

Talk to Crusty Chief and Peter. They have the scoop for insurance in Mexico

My insurance with AIG just gave me a Western most point in Alaska (which allowed me to go almost all the way up Alaska) and a southernmost point in Mexico off Baja, with the cruising ground being everything else.

Well I'll catch up with you in Ensenada then :) I will check into coverage into Ensenada, since it will be cheaper moorage than California for sure. Now to look at where 27N is...

Turtle bay is 27N I think.

We are going to have a blast!

I checked and for my boat a slip in Ensenada ranges from about $550 to about $750 depending on where.

Hotel Coral is a resort atmosphere, where Cruiseport is more like a standard marina.

Last edited:
KS
Our insurance used to be good to Cabo Colnett, south of Ensenada. Not sure what the southern limits of California boaters insurance are these days. Typically South of Colnette was were insurance started to get pricey. LaPaz is ok.. but its not great. The cruising is better away from the marinas. It can get cold above LaPaz in winter, Spend a few days in San Jose Del Cabo.. I love the town and the Marina there. Cabo San Lucas is worth a pass in My opinion.
Sounds like a great trip
Hollywood

Turtle bay is 27N I think.

We are going to have a blast!

I checked and for my boat a slip in Ensenada ranges from about $550 to about $750 depending on where.

Hotel Coral is a resort atmosphere, where Cruiseport is more like a standard marina.
Kevin - for liability insurance, do you know if Mexican marinas will accept US policy? For auto liability, must be Mexican insurance. Not sure about boats.

Let me know you get to Ensenada. They have a decent craft beer scene. And I've managed to grow gills from eating plenty of ceviche.

If you're squeemish about Mexico, Marina Coral is a walled garden and use Uber. Otherwise, Cruiseport and an old beater of a bicycle

Peter

Kevin - for liability insurance, do you know if Mexican marinas will accept US policy? For auto liability, must be Mexican insurance. Not sure about boats.

Let me know you get to Ensenada. They have a decent craft beer scene. And I've managed to grow gills from eating plenty of ceviche.

If you're squeemish about Mexico, Marina Coral is a walled garden and use Uber. Otherwise, Cruiseport and an old beater of a bicycle

Peter

Every marina we've stopped in has asked for our Mexican liability insurance. They don't care about our US policy. The Mexican insurance is pretty cheap and easy to buy online.

I second your marina recommendations. We did two nights at each on our recent visit to Ensenada. Marina Coral has nice pools and a hot tub and is very close to a Soriana grocery store (you just have to play frogger crossing the highway). Moorage was the most expensive we've paid anywhere and they charged $100 to clear us into Mexico. Uber is very cheap and easy for getting into town.

Cruiseport is a little longer walk to groceries, but closer to town, cheaper, and apparently they'll help with entrance paperwork for free. No pools, and the water on the docks is brackish. Don't wash the boat!

We liked both, but would probably choose Cruiseport in the future.

Thanks Guys!

First step is for us to get down the coast.

It's 1500 miles to Washington, and both of us have a haulout to do along with new insurance to buy while there. I'm getting Bilge Keels installed at Nanaimo as well.

Then it's another something like 1300 NM to to San Diego.

That's a lot of miles to cover, but also a lot of really cool places to see along the way.

I am heading to La Paz for the holidays with the intention of actually going there and look around before hand. Everyone has different cruising styles. Myself I am not as much of a fan of secluded anchorages as I am of being able to walk around town, meet people, hang out. That's why I'm looking at being marina based with excursions from there.

I know there is a lot to see, and a lot I'll not see using this approach, but there is also a new culture to explore and learn about, something you do not do all alone in an anchorage. I am a solo guy and really enjoy marina life.

I am willing to commit to things a winter at a time. Explore La Paz the first winter. Learn the ropes, and possibly spend the next winter on the mainland.

The idea is to just be warm, and happy. :)

Last edited:
The idea is to just be warm, and happy. :)

I just returned from a 7-week stay in Ensenada (AirBnB). Weather was incredibly consistent - marine layer/overcast in morning, low-mid 70's in afternoon, mid-upper 50's at night. Was good for being active, but never put on short-pants, always Levi's/slacks. Light jacket was frequent. Rained once.

I will be back March 1st or so for a couple months to [hopefully] finish my refit project. FIngers crossed.....

Peter

I just returned from a 7-week stay in Ensenada (AirBnB). Weather was incredibly consistent - marine layer/overcast in morning, low-mid 70's in afternoon, mid-upper 50's at night. Was good for being active, but never put on short-pants, always Levi's/slacks. Light jacket was frequent. Rained once.

I will be back March 1st or so for a couple months to [hopefully] finish my refit project. FIngers crossed.....

Peter

it's -20 this morning at my old house in Alaska.

If... If I run the generator on the boat 24X7 I can get the interior up into the 60's.

This is the coldest winter I've ever seen in Alaska, and we get some cold temps.

Wifey B: Almost winter so highs around 80 and lows around 70 right now. As I sit, it's 79 degrees outside. :)

Anacortes to Ensenada

I will be taking my boat from Anacortes to Ensenada this summer. My insurance is with Geico and they are asking the usual questions to extend my cruising limits. I am also told I MUST get Mexico insurance which I understand. I am also told that should I decide to try to not get the Mexico insurance policy I may get fines and/or boat confiscated.

I have my Willard 36 insured in Mexico by Baja Bound, with Chubb as the underwriter. $500/year for liability only.

Good luck.

Peter
(in Ensenada now)

I will be taking my boat from Anacortes to Ensenada this summer. My insurance is with Geico and they are asking the usual questions to extend my cruising limits. I am also told I MUST get Mexico insurance which I understand. I am also told that should I decide to try to not get the Mexico insurance policy I may get fines and/or boat confiscated.

Be sure to read your GEICO policy in detail- they are constantly moving the ball with regards to Mexico coverages. Last I was advised, the are requiring a detailed trip itinerary for south of the border travel, and your travels in Mexico are limited to 4 months max per policy term.

The requirement to obtain Mexican liability insurance is valid- it's a Mexican federal requirement that all vehicles and vessels must carry liability insurance provided by a carrier domiciled in Mexico. If a liability event occurs and you do not have Mexican liability coverage, your vessel is subject to arrest and confiscation.

Geico (BoatUS) will cover me to Puerto Vallarta for almost no extra cost. I had to provide a lot of information to get that. However they have a very firm limit of 120 days max.

Geico (BoatUS) will cover me to Puerto Vallarta for almost no extra cost. I had to provide a lot of information to get that. However they have a very firm limit of 120 days max.

Geico may, but you still need Mexican Liability Insurance.

Peter

Peter, yes good point. Mexican Liability is required on top. But I was pleased that there was just a very small surcharge on my hull insurance.

Back
Top Bottom