Is $48000.00 a reasonable price for a nicely restored Willard 30' Searcher?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richard676

The boat I am looking at is currently advertised on the Willard boat site and makes its home in Comox, British Columbia. It looks every bit as good up close as it does in the photos. Any opinions about the asking price would be appreciated. How difficult would it be to install an autopilot and a second outside steering station? Would you need to convert to hydraulic steering first? Are there any major issues common to this boat? Are they as seaworthy as they look and how badly do they roll in a beam sea?

Thanks,
Richard

A link would be helpful.

Ted

Link to $48000.00 Searcher

Not sure how to embed a link but the address is as follows.
Willard Vega 30 Searcher "Savary" | Willard Boats
The boat has since had the concrete ballast replaced with lead ingots separated into three sections by bulkheads and the original shaft has been replaced with an aqua drive system. The majority of the refurbishing was undertaken by Rick White, "Rickized"

Thanks,
Richard

There is also one for private sale in Ladysmith, BC. Right next to the Maritime Society dock. Sorry I can't find the photo with the phone number. Original owner not modified.

Greetings,
Mr. 676. The only comment I can make is why would someone put what appears to be carpet on the hull in the ER? GREAT place for oil/vapor to collect. Potential fire hazard in a few years.

I am impressed!!!!

I went back and looked at the photo of Savary's engine compartment and it would appear you are correct about the carpet. I would never have noticed it.

Thanks a lot,
Richard

The carpet is on the floor boards around the engine, they lift out. With the steady sail the boats have very little roll. There are various auto pilots that would fit. 25 years ago I took another Searcher from Anacortes to Sullivan Bay and every place in between 5 month's (no not because it is slow!) probably best boat trip ever, was a real adventure. The good old days paper charts,depth finder, tides and currents book, radar (no GPS or chart plotter). We have put over 3,000 miles on our boat so far this year, including running it from Newport Beach,Ca to Anacortes. (not a Willard) Now sitting in Genoa Bay,BC enjoying coffee and fresh scones, does not get much better!

Greetings,
Mr. R. Ah....I wrongly surmised the carpet was on the hull sides. Lift out? Fine by me. A nice touch. Apologies.

Great little boat with a nice refit.

Although I'm not overly familiar with US prices, it seems like a good deal to me. There are cheaper Willards around, but not in that condition. As I understand, the major issue with Willards is the concrete ballast. Its an ugly task if you have to do it yourself.

A wheel driven autopilot is fairly easy and cheap to install. Hydraulic steering not required.
If you wanted a 2nd steering setup from the rear cockpit, a simple solution is to install a removable tiller. They are a great backup system as well.

The steadying sail, although small, would definitely reduce the rolling motion a fair amount. Although like my boat, on a windless day and a largish swell, you would want to travel head on or with the swell.

She's overpowered but at least she's been repowered.

Look at other big items like fuel tanks, wiring, hull blister wise, hot water tank, electronics ect. At that price I'd be expecting almost everything to be perfect.

But if she really is perfect yes she's worth it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom