Old 11-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Claret
Vessel Model: MS Pilot 34 Express Twin
Window shades to reduce heat

Weíre getting acclimated to Floridaís hot sun but the cockpit on our MS Pilot 34 is like an oven in the FL sun. I read the TF pros & cons on window tinting, ok for the day but not so good at night. Has anyone tried the EZ Snap boat shades? They appear to be a mesh screen applied on the outside of the windows. https://ezsnapdirect.com/products/boat-shades/ and one can see through the shades. Weíre looking for ideas to reduce the heat buildup in the cockpit while keeping the boatís lines attractive. Our Pilot has the soft top, weíre also looking for options for shading the eisenglass sides.

Easternshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I had these made for Sonas. Full back and two side panels. Slide on top and elastic holders on bottom. Work really well. Minimum light in, you can see through it well enough.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1606075736283.jpg  

Old 11-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
While 3M VHB tape is really good, I have had it let go in applications that it should have held. I used 1/2Ē wide VHB to attach some vinyl trim as a drip edge on my rub rail. This wasnít a very high stress application. I cleaned off the tape, which was a chore, and put new tape on but added screws every 6Ē and it is working well now. I am not sure that I would trust it to hold with such small areas of contact and potentially a lot of pull with wind. Also I am a bit concerned that they donít show actual installation photos or videos on their website but rather animated videos. Sometimes an easy install isnít the best way to go but rather the tried method of screwing the snaps on which we know works.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
While 3M VHB tape is really good, I have had it let go in applications that it should have held. I used 1/2Ē wide VHB to attach some vinyl trim as a drip edge on my rub rail. This wasnít a very high stress application. I cleaned off the tape, which was a chore, and put new tape on but added screws every 6Ē and it is working well now. I am not sure that I would trust it to hold with such small areas of contact and potentially a lot of pull with wind. Also I am a bit concerned that they donít show actual installation photos or videos on their website but rather animated videos. Sometimes an easy install isnít the best way to go but rather the tried method of screwing the snaps on which we know works.

Thank you, I see EZ-Snap also offers screw-in or screw on snaps which may avoid the issue with the 3M tape. I agree, the videos always seem to make it look so easy!
Old 11-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I had these made for Sonas. Full back and two side panels. Slide on top and elastic holders on bottom. Work really well. Minimum light in, you can see through it well enough.

Thank you, great photo, it helps put it in the proper prospective.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I think I would go with the Phifertex panels. Easy enough for you or your local canvas guy to make. Traditional snaps would probably be more secure in a stiff breeze.
We have them and they work well. I am in the process of making new ones as ours have been around for a long time.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabric-Bran...BoCabIQAvD_BwE
Old 11-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
Guru

We have exterior window covers and have made them for several of our previous boats. They are really easy to make. I use Pfifertex and Sunbrella facing to bind the edges. I donít like the look of unbound edges which is what I think the system on the website uses. I think it looks unfinished. But the Pfifertex and Sunbrella pacing is very easy to sew. Any machine can sew it since the Pfifertex is almost like nothing to sew. The facing is 2Ē wide so when you fold it over the edge of the Pfifertex it gives you a 1Ē binding that you can put the snaps in. That way the snaps donít pull out like they might in just the Pfifertex. Look at Sailrite.com for the materials. Snaps are easy to install also. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Of course in a good year we get 2 weeks of Florida like heat. Lol
Old 11-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I think we own some Phifertex stock or we should.

For the cockpit we have their 70% shade factor material. In the pilot house we have their 90%. You canít really see out with the 90% but it cuts the heat down significantly and at night you still have privacy that you donít have with the 70%. If anyone is handy with a sewing machine, Phifertex is very easy to sew.
Attached Thumbnails
0E38FF92-2830-4E72-8F79-474500112FCD.jpg   EE58C74F-FB45-46CD-A3AA-CD3864BAA6B5.jpg   820BB7E6-C190-4147-9109-6211EDF61CA7.jpg   12CE5824-8753-4CA6-9484-486C215CAC38.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
Of course in a good year we get 2 weeks of Florida like heat. Lol

We certainly miss our covered slip in MD, could probably bake a cake in the cockpit with the FL sun.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I think we own some Phifertex stock or we should.

For the cockpit we have their 70% shade factor material. In the pilot house we have their 90%. You canít really see out with the 90% but it cuts the heat down significantly and at night you still have privacy that you donít have with the 70%. If anyone is handy with a sewing machine, Phifertex is very easy to sew.

Thanks for your info and photos, looks like Phifertex could be the answer.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have exterior window covers and have made them for several of our previous boats. They are really easy to make. I use Pfifertex and Sunbrella facing to bind the edges. I donít like the look of unbound edges which is what I think the system on the website uses. I think it looks unfinished. But the Pfifertex and Sunbrella pacing is very easy to sew. Any machine can sew it since the Pfifertex is almost like nothing to sew. The facing is 2Ē wide so when you fold it over the edge of the Pfifertex it gives you a 1Ē binding that you can put the snaps in. That way the snaps donít pull out like they might in just the Pfifertex. Look at Sailrite.com for the materials. Snaps are easy to install also. Good luck.

Thank you, weíve dealt with Sailrite back in out sailing days, may need a refresher course on using the sewing machine.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternshore View Post
Thank you, weíve dealt with Sailrite back in out sailing days, may need a refresher course on using the sewing machine.
Well the Pfifertex is a really easy project to get you sewing again. It really is easy to sew. And you will get a nice, neat finished result.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #14
Guru

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
+1 for phifertex for general shade. For glass 3m crystalline film is fantastic. Zero tint, lots of uv and heat rejection. Used it on my old Land Rover which was a greenhouse on wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
E15BD0DB-AD17-4549-A865-27AC6F6D1BF7.jpeg  

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #15
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
We have snap on shades that were made by Tide Water Canvas. This was done by a previous owner. These work great while not underway. I would guess it drops the temp by 10-20 degrees on very subby days. We have a hardtop with glass so there is poor airflow so these shades make a huge difference. Ours are dark blue so match the hull.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have the 70% Pfifertex in burgundy on tinted windows and really like it but when it gets wet underway, it clings to the glass and is hard to see through. I often leave them up all year long except for window cleaning or wet runs.

They're mounted on snaps and posts.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #17
Guru

City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Here's what you could see through our 70% UV reduction Sunbrella fabric we used on snap-on exterior covers.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0014.jpg  
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:20 AM   #18
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
We did exactly the same this past spring. Definitely made the aft deck cooler. We can see through it from the inside well enough but from the outside, complete privacy. Cuts down on wind substantially also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #19

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
I sewed Phifertex screens for my 400 last winter. I folded the edges over twice to make the perimeter 3 layers thick. I didn't feel I need any additional reinforcement for the snaps, especially since that's the way the original screens were made and they lasted 15 years.

I think the Comodave way is also a great idea with an edge binding, probably looks sharp.

The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore. Dale Carnegie
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #20

City: Everett, Wa
We have a full enclosure on our boat to the aft cockpit made from canvas and plastic. I sewed a complete replacement in phifertex. During the summer, I removed the canvas and glass and added the phifertex. I used the 70%. If I was to do it again, I would sew the phifertex to the same panel and simply roll the phifertex up or roll the plastic up so I didnít have to store the panels when the other was up. I think on windows it makes a huge difference if they are on the outside and they keep the heat out. The side advantage was they also act as screens for bugs when up so that the window can be open. I did get more skipped stitches sewing it without the canvas edging so I would opt for that method over the folding method. I think the snaps and universal fasteners work better with the canvas edging and hold better. I use my sailrite fabricator to get the job done. Nothing like the right tool!

6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote