Windless battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhodewaves

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rhode waves
Vessel Make
Mainship pilot 34
Has anyone added a separate battery for their Windless?

Separate batteries are added all the time when it’s not practical to run wire from the house bank. I have separate batteries for my crane.

Has anyone added a separate battery for their Windless?

I have a dedicated 8D flooded battery dedicated for my windlass and starting my generator, primarily for the windlass.

I have a starting battery built in to a small box right under the windlass. It is wired into the charger with the genny battery. I really do not anchor out a lot so it is a comfort to me to know there is a fresh battery sitting isolated at the bow of the boat that I can swap out with the other batteries in the event of a failure.

The two smallest batteries on the boat are the windlass battery and the genny battery. Having an 8D for those two machines seems like overkill. Plus, although an 8D might make a good emergency battery if you have long jumper cables I would certainly hate to have to "lug" one of those monsters very far. In fact, that is why I got rid of mine.

pete

I do not have a separate windlass battery and my windlass works fine. I anchor out a lot and if it gave me trouble I would have looked at adding a battery.
I don't know what size cable is running forward but whoever installed it did a good job.

Back
Top Bottom