Old 10-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Lake Barkley
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30
Windlass Mainship Pilot 30

Hello all,

Just bought a MS Pilot 30 with no windlass. I’m having a difficult time deciding on what to install. I will be primarily if not exclusively on the Western Rivers (Cumberland, Tennessee, Ohio), so mostly muddy bottoms, 30’ to 50’ max depth. I currently have a Delta anchor about 20lbs, with about 5’ of chain. I would prefer a remote control as I will sometimes be single handed. Anyone with a Pilot 30 or a Pilot 30 II have a windlass?

Edit:also in addition to the 5’ of chain, I have 150’ of three strand rope assumed to be nylon.

Thanks!

Joe
Fr8dog61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8dog61 View Post
Hello all,

Just bought a MS Pilot 30 with no windlass. I’m having a difficult time deciding on what to install. I will be primarily if not exclusively on the Western Rivers (Cumberland, Tennessee, Ohio), so mostly muddy bottoms, 30’ to 50’ max depth. I currently have a Delta anchor about 20lbs, with about 5’ of chain. I would prefer a remote control as I will sometimes be single handed. Anyone with a Pilot 30 or a Pilot 30 II have a windlass?

Edit:also in addition to the 5’ of chain, I have 150’ of three strand rope assumed to be nylon.
The windlass is sized by the anchoring gear it is hauling. The gypsy is sized to the chain and line and the motor to the weight of the gear being lifted. Chain weight will be dictated by the weight/ft and the deepest depths you''ll be anchoring in.

Whether you choose a vertical or horizontal windlass is typically dictated by how much space you have in the anchor locker.

5' of chain is too short IMHO. I wouldn't use anything less than 1 boat length. I have about 120-130 feet of chain.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #3

City: Punta Gorda Fl
Vessel Name: LeSeas
Vessel Model: 30 Mainship II
I just replaced a simpson-lawrence sprint 600 with a lewmar V700 on our 30 pilot II . You should have plenty of room to mount the vertical windlass in your anchor locker.
Leseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leseas View Post
I just replaced a simpson-lawrence sprint 600 with a lewmar V700 on our 30 pilot II . You should have plenty of room to mount the vertical windlass in your anchor locker.
I also have the V700 in my 30 Pilot II, and it was not original. I have both local foot switches at the bow as well as the helm console control. When I get ready to anchor, I go forward and let out a bit of chain to get the 35-pound Superax over balanced to fall. When in position, I hold the down button back at the helm. If you wish, the V700 will allow you to loosen the clutch/brake for a free fall, but you are on the bow for that. Retrieval does not always end up with the anchor seating properly, but I can see its shackle at the roller, and know I am free to maneuver to a clear place where I can go forward to spin it a bit on its Mantus swivel and hit the up footswitch to get it all settled. I carry a combination rode of 190 feet of 1/4 inch G4 chain followed by 120 feet of braided nylon. I never see the nylon. The only issue I have had with the setup was a recent failure of the two-way solenoid such that the down function failed, but the up function was still there. Not a hard replacement to perform.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks all!

The boat is in the yard at the moment in Kentucky while I am at work bouncing back and forth from LA to Honolulu. When I get home next week I can get on the boat with a tape. The V700 was one that I have been looking at, good to know it will fit. As to length of chain, do I really need 30’ of more on an inland lake?
Old 10-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #6

City: Supply, NC
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
I recall some pretty stout storms in the area where you are boating. If you absolutely want to wake up in the same location where you went to sleep the right anchor and chain is priceless. I don't think anyone would ever recommend less than your boat length and mud isn't the best holding bottom. Chain isn't that costly and you will worry less.

Don
DonW28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonW28 View Post
I recall some pretty stout storms in the area where you are boating. If you absolutely want to wake up in the same location where you went to sleep the right anchor and chain is priceless. I don't think anyone would ever recommend less than your boat length and mud isn't the best holding bottom. Chain isn't that costly and you will worry less.

Don
Ok, thanks!
Old 11-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vessel Name: Foto
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I also have the V700 in my 30 Pilot II, and it was not original. I have both local foot switches at the bow as well as the helm console control. When I get ready to anchor, I go forward and let out a bit of chain to get the 35-pound Superax over balanced to fall. When in position, I hold the down button back at the helm. If you wish, the V700 will allow you to loosen the clutch/brake for a free fall, but you are on the bow for that. Retrieval does not always end up with the anchor seating properly, but I can see its shackle at the roller, and know I am free to maneuver to a clear place where I can go forward to spin it a bit on its Mantus swivel and hit the up footswitch to get it all settled. I carry a combination rode of 190 feet of 1/4 inch G4 chain followed by 120 feet of braided nylon. I never see the nylon. The only issue I have had with the setup was a recent failure of the two-way solenoid such that the down function failed, but the up function was still there. Not a hard replacement to perform.

I have a V700 as well and am converting to an all chain setup. When you are in deep anchorages does the V700 have enough horsepower to bring up your anchor and chain? I have a Pilot 34 and am going with 300’ of ¼ inch G4 and a 30lb Delta. Currently I have no problems pulling the anchor with 30’ of chain and 200’ of nylon rode. Just concerned about the extra chain weight in my new setup.
JamieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieM View Post
I have a V700 as well and am converting to an all chain setup. When you are in deep anchorages does the V700 have enough horsepower to bring up your anchor and chain? I have a Pilot 34 and am going with 300’ of ¼ inch G4 and a 30lb Delta. Currently I have no problems pulling the anchor with 30’ of chain and 200’ of nylon rode. Just concerned about the extra chain weight in my new setup.
I have had no reason to anchor in anything more than 20 feet of water, and likely never wii here on the Gulf Coast. The V700 of course does well at that dept. The boat came to me with a combo rode which I have left intact. Since there is no such thing as a 1/4 chain link available so the chain I added would go through the windlass, I had to take all the chain to a welder who cut a link in two and welded it back together to connect the two lengths of chain.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote