Old 09-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #1

City: Williamsburg, VA
Vessel Name: Bay Retriever
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship 400
Windlass & Bomar Hatch parts

Fantastic time cruising the lower Chesapeake over Labor Day Weekend! Now I need to replace two small parts in the picture: a small plastic part to the Windlass and a handle to the ceiling hatch in the head.

The windlass part broke when the line got pinched after the plastic part broke. Had to pull the anchor up manually. The handle broke when trying to close the overhead hatch in the head.

Any repair tips, suggestions or links will be most appreciated.

T MacDonnell
Bay Retriever
2004 MS 400

[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Adjustments.jpg  
Bay Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #2

City: Northern Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's
Many marine retailers sell Bomar parts.

Pompanette may now own Bomar

I find GO2Marine to have good service, stock and prices:
https://www.go2marine.com/search?keywords=Pom

Also
https://www.defender.com/search.html...+parts&x=0&y=0

Windlass model number may help others help you.

Hope this helps
Old 09-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #3

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Retriever View Post
Fantastic time cruising the lower Chesapeake over Labor Day Weekend! Now I need to replace two small parts in the picture: a small plastic part to the Windlass and a handle to the ceiling hatch in the head.

The windlass part broke when the line got pinched after the plastic part broke. Had to pull the anchor up manually. The handle broke when trying to close the overhead hatch in the head.

Any repair tips, suggestions or links will be most appreciated.

T MacDonnell
Bay Retriever
2004 MS 400

[/ATTACH]
Well that stinks! Not easy to haul up the anchor by hand. Do you have the Lewmar windlass like this? If so, I think the model is as shown on the manual cover, but the parts drawings don't show a part looking like that.

If you have another brand or model, you'll need to do some searching. I believe the windlass part is call the "fleming" if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   Capture2.JPG  

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Well, at least you are breaking your boat while out on the wawa. I have been breaking mine by simply walking out to it. Tonight it was the darned Standard Horizon VHF which suddenly has no speaker volume. Last week it was the oil changer pump. Week before the reefer. Week before that it was the waste tank level sensor. Before that the generator sea strainer bowl broke. All since August 20th.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I broke a handle on my mainship 400 FWD hatch, it was a little unclear as to exactly which hatch I had, so I called Bomar. They were very helpful and got me the part number I needed. I ordered it through defender.

The Lewmar windlass on my boat is a combination of two different models. Some of the other 400 owners and I have corresponded about this and their boats are the same. Lewmar is also helpful with parts.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Well, at least you are breaking your boat while out on the wawa. I have been breaking mine by simply walking out to it. Tonight it was the darned Standard Horizon VHF which suddenly has no speaker volume. Last week it was the oil changer pump. Week before the reefer. Week before that it was the waste tank level sensor. Before that the generator sea strainer bowl broke. All since August 20th.
You know if you don’t go to the boat nothing will break...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #7

Windlass update. Took another look at the situation. Here are a couple of pics and a number “002” stamped on the Lewmar Windlass.

Will call tomorrow for the part. Hoping it’s a straightforward part replacement.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5364.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	107772Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	107773
Old 09-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #8

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Looks just like mine. The “002” designates the Gypsy, I.e. the part that the chain and rope wind around. My gypsy is 001 so it looks like on one of our boats a previous owner may have swapped something out. The gypsy is designed to handle a certain size chain/rope combo so if you have the wrong size chain for the gypsy it could have broken something. You should be able to find the chain sizes for that gypsy from Lewmar or their website, then make sure the chain is compatible. I’m out on the boat for a week or I could send you the manual.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:32 AM   #9

Windlass & Bomar Hatch parts

Ordered & received from Defender, the replacement for broken plastic “cutter” part for anchor Windlass made by Lewmar. Next step is to dissemble the Windlass and install the new metal cutter. ALS need to replace a screw which holds the cutter in place. The screw was bent when the cutter broke. Hoping I can to match up the screw at Lowe’s.

The pic below shows the broken cutter upside down alongside a broken Bomar hatch arm that I also ordered through Defender. I am wondering if there are any tips out there on how to proceed!
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5338.jpg  
Old 09-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I THINK the proper name for that windlass part is "chain stripper" because it helps push the links away from the sockets of the wildcat when they tend to stick there due to friction from conditions like mud or rust.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #11

City: Old Saybrook, CT
Vessel Name: FETCH
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Waste tank sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Hi Rich,

That's a tough run of boat luck! What was your symptom on the waste tank sensor failure? Mine is ready 'empty' all the time and I suspect that might be the issue. Do you have a vacuflush on your Pilot? How was the sensor replacement job? The top of the waste tank looks tricky to access on the 34.

Thanks,

Bill
rwy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwy36 View Post
Hi Rich,

That's a tough run of boat luck! What was your symptom on the waste tank sensor failure? Mine is ready 'empty' all the time and I suspect that might be the issue. Do you have a vacuflush on your Pilot? How was the sensor replacement job? The top of the waste tank looks tricky to access on the 34.

Thanks,

Bill
I forgot the windlass solenoid switch - that went out too. Geez.

The waste tank level gauge in the head showed empty when I knew it was not. The gauge backlighting came on when the Vacuflush was energized at the power panel.

I had all the tools aboard to cut a 4-inch diameter access into the cockpit deck when I just decided to hold off until after I had attempted to remove the WEMA sensor from the tank by reaching in there from the big lazarette hatch. I was amazed that there was enough clearance to pull it out. Not a tough job at all on this boat.