Old 12-10-2022, 11:20 PM   #21

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
Thanks. Please do report back. I’m in Florida, and have the old stuff pulled down. I hadn’t ordered my headliner fabric yet because I wanted to test my samples in the track. None of them will go in without ripping. The Magilite must be thinner. At this point, I wouldn’t mind having someone install it, too. It’s seems a bit difficult for one person to do and I’m not sure my low back is up for it anytime soon.

My other thought is to install headliner covered panels ad use teak batten strips at the seams. I do love that classic look.
Mermaid, like you I pulled the vinyl down assuming I could put up the new stuff. I took a couple putty knives and ground the corners off like others have said and tried to do it myself. I could never get the material into the tracks it without tearing it. After several attempts I ended up hiring a guy who had the proper Whisper Wall tools and he made it look easy. If you end up trying to do it yourself I would recommend getting the proper tools.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #22

City: Fayetteville
Vessel Name: Donna Mae
Vessel Model: 2005 Mainship 430
Quote:
Thanks. Please do report back. I’m in Florida, and have the old stuff pulled down. I hadn’t ordered my headliner fabric yet because I wanted to test my samples in the track. None of them will go in without ripping. The Magilite must be thinner. At this point, I wouldn’t mind having someone install it, too. It’s seems a bit difficult for one person to do and I’m not sure my low back is up for it anytime soon.

My other thought is to install headliner covered panels ad use teak batten strips at the seams. I do love that classic look.

Well… After speaking to the folks @Powless.net in Oakland Park, FL, are Whsiperwalls “yacht people” I have yet to receive anything back after speaking to them And sending pics as requested. We are shutting the boat down for the holidays and I will call and ask why no quote as we discussed. My hunch is that after Mainship shut down, the yacht biz never took off for them.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 05:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Well… After speaking to the folks @Powless.net in Oakland Park, FL, are Whsiperwalls “yacht people” I have yet to receive anything back after speaking to them And sending pics as requested. We are shutting the boat down for the holidays and I will call and ask why no quote as we discussed. My hunch is that after Mainship shut down, the yacht biz never took off for them.

They asked for the length and width of the panels and how many of them there are. Also, the welting on the outside edge is apparently high dollar so was asked if it is in good enough condition to re use. Details submitted and will update with quote details.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:28 PM   #24

City: Miami, FL
Vessel Name: Mermaid Life
Quote:
They asked for the length and width of the panels and how many of them there are. Also, the welting on the outside edge is apparently high dollar so was asked if it is in good enough condition to re use. Details submitted and will update with quote details.
I’m starting to lean towards just doing something different and ditch the whole whisper wall stuff. I think I may just go back to doing it the Hatteras way by using the existing structure, minus the plastic WW track, with an electric staple gun and teak batten strips. Then, I won’t have to use any special material. I love the classic look of teak batten strips on the ceiling.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 05:38 AM   #25

Quote:
I’m starting to lean towards just doing something different and ditch the whole whisper wall stuff. I think I may just go back to doing it the Hatteras way by using the existing structure, minus the plastic WW track, with an electric staple gun and teak batten strips. Then, I won’t have to use any special material. I love the classic look of teak batten strips on the ceiling.

Leaning that way as well Mermaid. They haven’t given me price until I agree to cover all travel, meals hotels,etc. They will not sell direct to consumer so I asked for name of installers south of me. Would be interested in how it goes once you start yours.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:04 AM   #26

Quote:

Ok. So salon only about $4k Plus all travel expenses. I did find a source for the Majilite material @ $18 yard by 55” and have a sample coming. Thinking I will give it a shot myself.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:54 AM   #27

City: Delray Beach, FL and Denver, CO
Vessel Name: PartnerShip II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 400
Yes installing a new headliner is challenging.
You COULD build and install individual panels making the overall install easier. Here is a video of a company covering and installing lightweight wood panels covered with some type of vinyl fabric. I did think of this when I did mine but went with something closer to what was there originally.
Take a look
I also found a video about installing Wisperwall fabric probably from the manufacturer. Search Wisperwall headliner boat.

If you search newer Mainships for sale ads it looks like later models used the individual panel system.
I did post many pictures about how I did my install. I probably spent between 16-20 hours over 2 months (I'm only at my boat part time) between removal, recessed light panel mounting and final install. Challenging YES. Impossible NO.
Newtrawlerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Leaning that way as well Mermaid. They haven’t given me price until I agree to cover all travel, meals hotels,etc. They will not sell direct to consumer so I asked for name of installers south of me. Would be interested in how it goes once you start yours.
Well, I started my headliner replacement project. This is a very dirty job. The old headliner turns to dust when you start taking it down. Goodbye, Whisper Wall track. As I am tearing into the guts of this boat, I can see that the factory used scraps of wood and brads in many places; some things are screwed but nothing is “glued and screwed.”. That is a little disappointing.

I’m going with removable panels and using batten strips to cover the joint where two panels meet. This will make adding more lights, if necessary, or chasing future leaks, if any, easy in terms of access. Plus, I like the classic look. I went with Lumitec Mirage LED down lights in place of the ugly original fluorescent fixtures.

I’m using Nauga Soft for the headliner material.
Attached Thumbnails
2E2B24A5-9C60-4B65-A68B-69D918C89A59.jpg  
Old 01-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Well, I started my headliner replacement project. This is a very dirty job. The old headliner turns to dust when you start taking it down. Goodbye, Whisper Wall track. As I am tearing into the guts of this boat, I can see that the factory used scraps of wood and brads in many places; some things are screwed but nothing is “glued and screwed.”. That is a little disappointing.

I’m going with removable panels and using batten strips to cover the joint where two panels meet. This will make adding more lights, if necessary, or chasing future leaks, if any, easy in terms of access. Plus, I like the classic look. I went with Lumitec Mirage LED down lights in place of the ugly original fluorescent fixtures.

I’m using Nauga Soft for the headliner material.

Pics would be so appreciated. . I’ve never attempted such a project before and looking forward to giving it a shot.
Old 01-01-2023, 03:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Pics would be so appreciated. . I’ve never attempted such a project before and looking forward to giving it a shot.
I’ll take pics as I go. Today was all about getting that track down and the last strip of headliner where the two lights are on the port side. I had taken down the other strips months ago. Now that I have committed to a plan, it was time to get moving on it. Now, I am working on the massive clean up of the dust that the old headliner turned into when disturbed. That is taking about as long as the demolition. These boats are what I call a pretty small space and of course, the air conditioner has blown the dust on everything, and I mean everything. Not running the AC was just not an option (Miami). By the day’s end, I’ll also have to clean the AC filters.

I also had to get the blinds back up for now as I live on the boat and need the blinds for privacy as well as to keep the hot sun out during the day. At least I got that strip of 1/2” plywood down that was over the windows. I’m not sure what the purpose of that was, but it’s gone. All of that Whisper Wall track is out and headed for the dumpster. That was a monumental task as there are a bazillion staples in the perimeter piece. The headliner for the perimeter trim was stapled into the wood above and then wrapped around the WW track and stuffed into the crevice. You’ll see what I’m talking about when you take yours down. I don’t think I took a pic of that, but if I come across one, perhaps from months ago when I took the bulk of it down, I’ll post it. The staples holding up the track itself were easy to remove…just used leverage of the track when pulling it down and they came out. I had to remove a couple hundred screws first, though.

Now, I’m waiting on materials to arrive and lighting. In the meantime, I can start working on my cross members that I will use to support the edges of the panels - I need some pieces of wood running port-starboard, about every 4 feet. I’ll photo that as I do it. After that is up, I can start patterning the panels.

My break, here, has come to an end, and I must get back to cleaning up the mess. Like NewTrawlerOwner said, challenging, yes; impossible, no. I have done this before, so it’s not entirely new to me. I didn’t expect the old stuff to turn to dust though. I’d never use that stuff again. Not only that, but when it ages, it gets greasy before it gets sticky. Other headliner materials such as Nauga Soft, Naugahyde, and Morbern have never done that to me. I don’t know what’s so special about that Whisper Wall fabric, but I never want to see that stuff again and I don’t think this is something that needs to be done every 10 years - referencing what you were told the life expectancy of that fabric is; that’s ridiculous. The last headliner I removed was nearly 40 years old and still in great shape, but it had some discoloration and I wanted to start replacing it with a more modern fabric. It was the old perforated stuff. I didn’t get it all done before Hurricane Irma came along and that was that.
Old 01-01-2023, 05:47 PM   #31
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
I know you have a plan Mermaid. Just thought I would post what I did on the Green boat around 2008.

We had recored the overhead and added the mahogany beams. I wrapped perforated vinyl with 1/4" foam backing around 1/4" plywood. The plywood was first coated in epoxy. The vinyl was tacked with 3M spray adhesive then stapled with monel staples.

To attach to the overhead I used industrial velcro. There was too much camber in the center so I had to use screws into blocks epoxied to overhead. You can see some of the caps in the photo.

The lights were under cabinet halogen pucks on mahogany bases. I later replaced the halogen bulbs with led.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
100_0211.jpg   UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_24d.jpg  
Old 01-01-2023, 07:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
I know you have a plan Mermaid. Just thought I would post what I did on the Green boat around 2008.

We had recored the overhead and added the mahogany beams. I wrapped perforated vinyl with 1/4" foam backing around 1/4" plywood. The plywood was first coated in epoxy. The vinyl was tacked with 3M spray adhesive then stapled with monel staples.

To attach to the overhead I used industrial velcro. There was too much camber in the center so I had to use screws into blocks epoxied to overhead. You can see some of the caps in the photo.

The lights were under cabinet halogen pucks on mahogany bases. I later replaced the halogen bulbs with led.

Rob
Very nice, Rob. I love that classic yacht look and I’m sort of going for that, except that I’m going to use the existing center line (fore to aft) support member and run one batten strip down the middle. Then, run my other battens port-starboard every 45”. I as I start to put the support framing up there, I may add some more port-starboard strips so I can add more battens, just for the look. I can always go back and add them later, too. That’s the beauty of removable panels.

Also, one day, I want to put a prettier, more functional table on the flybridge. Removable ceiling panels will get me the access to the bolts underneath. Ditto for the helm seat when I get around to installing a nicer one. What started all of this, other than my headliner was degrading into a nasty mess was that I wanted to pull a cable for the KVH system I installed this past summer. The only way I could find to run it was an unintended access hole found over the helm door when I started picking at the headliner. For me, I just can’t see installing a headliner that can’t be removed for access all of this kind of stuff without doing utter demolition.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Our Salon ceiling is blotchy and in dire need of cleaning. Guessing an old water leak but I had similar look spraying bug spray on my old boat thru Georgia when I left a door open and came back to what looked like an old Vincent price horror file scene of bugs everywhere. The surface is tacky to the touch and we tried a couple gentle house cleanersAttachment 134194 with no success. I really need to replace it all but trying to buy one more season with them. Any ideas appreciated!

Update. Tried something called Tuff Stuff and big improvement. Removed the shiny sections and took out 75% of the stain. Let sit for 30-45 seconds. I’m a fan. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	136416Attachment 1
Old 03-12-2023, 04:17 PM   #34
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Im a little late to the party, but when I bought my boat a few years ago (and only 7 yrs old at the time) the headliner in the helm area was terribly stained with mildew. No regular cleaners had any effect. I used a product called Wood-n-stuff that is a leather refinisher with amazing results. Basically a paint-on product. Pics available on request. Looks like a brand new headliner. Not sure it will help if the surface is sticky, but cheap enough to try before ripping it out.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Our Salon ceiling is blotchy and in dire need of cleaning. Guessing an old water leak but I had similar look spraying bug spray on my old boat thru Georgia when I left a door open and came back to what looked like an old Vincent price horror file scene of bugs everywhere. The surface is tacky to the touch and we tried a couple gentle house cleanersAttachment 134194 with no success. I really need to replace it all but trying to buy one more season with them. Any ideas appreciated!

I found a pretty good solution. Bought a product called TUFF STUFF CLEANER. https://www.tuff-stuff.com/products/foam-cleaner/

Big Improvement.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:31 AM   #36
Guru

City: Middle River
Headliner

If you have a fabric headliner stretched over frames I can provide some tips. If there is room between the headliner and hard overhead, consider some insulation. I did and it made a difference in retention of heat & AC. Glued it up & stretched material over it.
SIBERNUT is offline   Reply With Quote