What type of Bimini Canvas was used MS 34 Pilot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beekeepergreg

Vessel Name
Mayrose
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 pilot
We are moving up to a 34 pilot with what appears to have an original Bimini. It would be nice to get thru this season, and make a new one this winter.
Waterproofing would be needed.

I would like to know what fabric was used, as to match waterproofing. Any idea of the fabric or suggestions on waterproofing.

Thanks
Greg and Rosie

Attachments

• DSCF6554.jpg
    DSCF6554.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 19
I am not familiar with the Mainship canvas, but if it is smooth on the outside it is probably Stamoid and should not need waterproofing. If it has a weave then it is probably Sunbrella and you clean it and use 303 Protectant for waterproofing.

Canvas biminis were installed by local canvas makers, not Mainship generally. But these are usually made of Sunbrella.

David

Greg
Dave's description of Stamoid vs Sunbrella is a good starting point. From the photo I would guess its Sunbrella but only guessing. Many times manuf. will sew in a label indicating Sunbrella was used and/or they included a tag with their Co. name. I believe Gioia Sails in NJ made some or all? Of that era canvas. You might try contacting them to see if they still have patterns. I have seen their work and it is first class.
In the TF Library - Misc section there is a file on Sunbrella Cleaning & Care I uploaded.
Treatment of other brands of acrylic fabric (obviously woven) can be done with the same procedures.

303 Fabric Guard is the recommended product for water proofing. Note it is a different product than 303 Aerospace Protectant and are NOT interchangeable.

303 Protectant is fine to use on the clear vinyl windows but don't get it on the fabric as it degrades the water proofing.

303 Fabric Guard is good stuff but for best results follow the tips in the Library file. Application to clean dry material, suspended vs laying on a surface, multi light coats vs soaking the fabric, apply when it is hi 80s to 90s best in full sun.

If the old top is leaking and you are trying to get some life from it a good cleaning and treatment might help. I would not use anything with silicone as it leaves an oil film that attracts dirt that will be difficult to impossible to remove. In extreme cases where the stitching is the leak source I've applied 303 FG to the bottom stitch line surface and it helped. And if that fails I have used silicone sparingly on bottom surface only along stitches.
The other trick to seal stitches is to rub with the end of a small birthday cake candle again only aling the stitch line.

303 fabric guard is the only way to go. I like it best if you buy it by the gallon and apply it with a garden sprayer. Cheaper and much easier to apply than a spray bottle.

Though from the pic but it might me Sunbrella Tweed

The Rainguard 303 waterproofing is the best, Suitable for almost all fabrics, great for your tent, shoes and gloves. I buy it by the gallon from Amazon for about $80.00. A treatment on the bimini lasts a year. I use a garden sprayer.

Make sure you get the waterproofing, not just the protectant, both are called 303 but there is a big difference.

pete

The Rainguard 303 waterproofing is the best, Suitable for almost all fabrics, great for your tent, shoes and gloves. I buy it by the gallon from Amazon for about $80.00. A treatment on the bimini lasts a year. I use a garden sprayer.

Make sure you get the waterproofing, not just the protectant, both are called 303 but there is a big difference.

pete

Same here, buy large bottle and use garden sprayer. Even use it on my Gortex windbreaker and water beads up and rolls right off.

We had our bimini replaced in 2019 by Don Gioia himself and I learned a lot about the history of who, what, when and where for the canvas and other soft goods on the Mainships, Silvertons, Hunters, Luhrs, etc.

Gioia made the OEM canvas and vinyl upholstery for most of those boats when the boats were made in NJ. When Mainship moved production to St. Augustine, another local shop replaced Gioia. But in the early 2000's, I believe, Gioia bought the St. Augustine shop and started production again, that is, until Mainship shut down.

The Florida shop, now owned by Gioia, did have the pattern for my 2004 MS400, but it was a paper pattern, not in good shape. Don came to my boat in Maryland and measured everything and made an excellent bimini with side curtains and also re-upholstered the helm seat. All top-notch work. He did it over the winter and knocked 10% off the price. They also installed it, however on my old Silverton, I bought the top and side curtains (they had the computer patterns) and installed it myself in about 1/2 hour.

All I had to do is put up the top and then install the "lift-a-dot" fasteners to mate up with the existing posts that were on the boat. A simple DIY job for anybody with basic skills and the ability to reach the spots.

Bottom line is there's a good chance Gioia made the original top and also a fair chance that they have the patterns someplace. I would contact them and ask for Don or Dawn at 732-901-6770.

We really appreciate all the replies. It is Sunbrella. Going thru the boat yesterday we found a receipt for the bimini. Which reinforces our purchase of the Sailrite sewing machine last winter for cushions on our departing 30 Pilot . That will be a fun project this winter.
Greg and Rosie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom