Old 01-14-2022, 03:42 PM   #1

City: Elkton
Vessel Name: Pathfinder
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30
Water Heater Removal

I need to replace the hot water heater on my mainship 30 pilot. As you can see by the pics I will need to remove the exhaust hose to gain access. I was wondering whether anyone has done this ? Any tips or cautions ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	water heater 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	124902

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	124903
nveater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I had to R&R the genset to replace my hot water heater, so things could be worse.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:49 PM   #3

Yes that would be more of a pain !
Old 01-14-2022, 08:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I know of a boat where they had to remove one of the engines to repair the genset. And it was a production boat.

Boats are designed by "designers" to make them look good, then it's up to engineers to make all the parts fit. That's a PITA but it could be much worse.

Why are you replacing the water heater? If it's just not making hot water, the element or thermostat is probably the problem and either should be fairly easy to replace.

If it's leaking (and it's not just the TP valve which is also easily replaced), that's another story. Remove what's necessary but take photos so you can put everything back the way it's supposed to be.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:44 AM   #5

rwidman: The previous owner was unsure of the cause- but he also cut the lines coming to and from the heater (not the heat exchanger lines). I would suspect the heater element= it's an ATwood from the 90s and I cannot find a heater element to fit (Part # 91580) . I think I am destined to replace the unit
Old 01-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #6

City: green cove springs
Vessel Name: GEM
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
https://getrvparts.com/atwood-91580-...-heat-element/

this is rape and not sure they actually have but if the element is the problem....test it first. we had one test ok but wouldn't make hot water. when i took out it had eroded down to about 1/8" thick. if it is the problem take it out and go to ace. it looks very much like one we have in our cottage
Old 01-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nveater View Post
rwidman: The previous owner was unsure of the cause- but he also cut the lines coming to and from the heater (not the heat exchanger lines). I would suspect the heater element= it's an ATwood from the 90s and I cannot find a heater element to fit (Part # 91580) . I think I am destined to replace the unit
You are looking at a big job to possibly correct a small problem. You can test the element with a continuity tester. Testing the thermostat is just a bit more involved but it can be done.

I suggest removing the heater element and taking it to a plumbing supply store in your area. A good counter person should be able to match it up with something that will fit and that will work. Same for the thermostat if that turns out to be the problem.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #8

Thanks that sounds like removing the cover plate and element and testing it should be my first step- I appreciate the feedback !
Old 01-15-2022, 11:58 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Neither element nor Tstat are very expensive. If one is bad you might consider doing both while you are at it.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:09 PM   #10

Yes thanks good idea- there is also a reset button on this water heater and while I would assume that the PO hit that I will check that as well. Replacing or re attaching the cut hose(s) maybe a pita as upon cursory look I can't even see them
Old 01-15-2022, 12:29 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Thanks that sounds like removing the cover plate and element and testing it should be my first step- I appreciate the feedback !
You can test the element without removing it but you must remove one of the wires.

Be sure to turn off the power first.

BTW: One of the best ways to burn out a water heater element is to drain the tank with the power still on. Without water to cool the element, it will burn out in a minute or two.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:52 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We looked at a boat where the water heater was drained and turned on. I was in the engine room and heard a sizzling sound. It was the water heater. I turned it off. We did buy the boat. I assumed the water heater element would have to be replaced but it was still working when we sold the boat 8 years later.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:06 AM   #13
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
My heater element was fairly standard. I just bought another one at Lowe's and replaced the old one. That solved the issue (random hot water), so I tossed the old one. Probably should spend $14 to have a spare.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:54 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Yes thanks good idea- there is also a reset button on this water heater and while I would assume that the PO hit that I will check that as well. Replacing or re attaching the cut hose(s) maybe a pita as upon cursory look I can't even see them
If it has acreset I'd also replace that... especially if it has difficult to get at.
A few years back I had a water that didn't work on my motohome. Of course the heater, Tstat & reset were all on yhe backside requiring removal to fo anything. PITA removing wiring and hoses. When diagnosed it was only the reset that tripped... I didn't want to reassemble only to find it not working after a short period. Replaced all 3 and never had an issue again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #15
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Most of the time a leaking tank on a water heater in a boat produces a rust stain on the deck the heater is mounted to. Not just a bit of rust stain but a stain that makes it clear water was actively leaking from the unit.

It could have minor condensation rust around the case but the tank could be ok.. hope for the best!
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:25 PM   #16
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I don’t think anyone has mentioned the anode. Most water heaters will have one that should be checked and probably changed.