Wasted space on Mainship 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
We have a lot of wasted space on the flybridge of the MS 400. Overall, I love the design of the boat but the two areas that needed improvement are the main stateroom (too small) and the flybridge (too big).

I wish that they would have kept the forward enclosed part to perhaps half or 2/3 the size, and had more room on the back for storing toys, etc.

With the huge space up there, one could have 10 to 12 people up there, which on most boats will never happen. I don't like more than 6 up there.

Has anyone thought of a minor mod of perhaps adding some storage cabinets u there for more storage in the seating area. Would be nice for light weight things, like paper produces light weight food, supplies like filters, rags, etc.

Thoughts?

Keep in mind "top hamper" before you increase fly bridge weight.

It's funny how different people use their boats in different ways.

We have a 2005 400. I like the big FB, most of the people we have on board consider it to be the single best feature of the boat. We tend to live in/on the FB and seldom use the aft deck. It gets too hot out there most of the time. It's too high to easily get toys up there.

I wouldn't put 12 people on the FB while we were underway, but it's a great space to entertain at anchor or the dock. We've had 9 up there, no issues at all.

Now, I do wish that the storage under the FB seats was divided. I've considered building in starboard dividers.

As far as the interior layout, our only complaint is that the fwd (master) cabin could use a little more floor space. It's tough to get dressed in there, it's pretty tight. This is pretty typical for salon style boats though. Everything is a trade off I guess.

Neither of us is right or wrong, all what you are into or how you use your boat.

Seevee, did I see your boat at the American Legion just the other day? If so, I took a few pictures...

Gosh she was pretty. I was sitting just forward and to the north of your boat.

Here's the girl that caught my eye:
Sunset-Mainship40atAmericanLegion.jpg

Seevee, did I see your boat at the American Legion just the other day? If so, I took a few pictures...

Gosh she was pretty. I was sitting just forward and to the north of your boat.

Here's the girl that caught my eye:
Sunset-Mainship40atAmericanLegion.jpg

Janice,

YES, that's me. Didn't get the canvas back on after the hurricane and I'm replacing the top canvas. If you see me there, please look me up and say hi! I'm usually hanging out with a few friends on the SW corner of the Tiki bar.

I show up in the Trawler, or a Sundancer, kayak or windsurfer, whatever fit's the bill.

Do you boat in?

It's funny how different people use their boats in different ways.

We have a 2005 400. I like the big FB, most of the people we have on board consider it to be the single best feature of the boat. We tend to live in/on the FB and seldom use the aft deck. It gets too hot out there most of the time. It's too high to easily get toys up there.

I wouldn't put 12 people on the FB while we were underway, but it's a great space to entertain at anchor or the dock. We've had 9 up there, no issues at all.

Now, I do wish that the storage under the FB seats was divided. I've considered building in starboard dividers.

As far as the interior layout, our only complaint is that the fwd (master) cabin could use a little more floor space. It's tough to get dressed in there, it's pretty tight. This is pretty typical for salon style boats though. Everything is a trade off I guess.

Neither of us is right or wrong, all what you are into or how you use your boat.

Dougcole,

Good points, agree on dividers for the storage. I've never had more than six up there, but even with another storage box built in up there I'm sure 9 would fit. However, I don't have 9 friends. Not much for a lot of folks on the boat, but at anchor or dock, would work fine.

Agreed, most time is on the FB.

How to get more space in the stateroom

Lift up the hatch to the doubelbed, when changing clothes etc, then you willl get more floor area.
A couple gas damper will makes it easy to lift up the hatch and also more easy to reach what you have in the boxes and drawers under the bed. I works great for us.
Gas damper to the staircase is also a great idea.

Boan

How to get more space in the stateroom

Lift up the hatch to the doubelbed, when changing clothes etc, then you willl get more floor area.
A couple gas damper will makes it easy to lift up the hatch and also more easy to reach what you have in the boxes and drawers under the bed. I works great for us.
Gas damper to the staircase is also a great idea.

Boan

Gas dampeners are a great idea. Actually they are called gas springs. But relatively cheap and work well.

Gas dampeners are a great idea. Actually they are called gas springs. But relatively cheap and work well.

I call them, "those gas thingies." Folks seem to know what they are. LOL

But then, I do have a pointy and square ends to my boat too.

Appropriately sized Dock Boxes up on the bridge will get you storage as well as seating area...

Appropriately sized Dock Boxes up on the bridge will get you storage as well as seating area...

When you start loading up the upper dock boxes, don't make it top heavy. You sure don't want the boat to roll too much.
Investigate how much weight you can safely put up there..... Maybe you can call and ask the builder or perhaps a forum for that specific brand of boat.

When you start loading up the upper dock boxes, don't make it top heavy. You sure don't want the boat to roll too much.
Investigate how much weight you can safely put up there..... Maybe you can call and ask the builder or perhaps a forum for that specific brand of boat.

OldDan,

Good point, but getting that info is impossible unless you figure it out yourself. You have to figure out the center of gravity, the center of buoyancy, and know the moment of the position of the items you're adding. Just the first two are, at best, a guess, unless one has extremely accurate drawings.

So, we can experiment at bit. Load the boat up with different weights and somehow measure how it tips. Also, not easy.

It's a lot like aircraft stability (weight and balance, which I'm an expert), but you add the dimension of rolling and it really messes things up.

...... so, for me, I'm going to figure that putting stuff on the fly bridge has an arm of 8 ft more than putting it in the salon. For "me" I wouldn't want more than 800 pounds up there with any significant wind (~20 kts). I will already have 150 lbs of kayaks and windsurfing stuff so in bigh winds, I'll be down below.

So, my best calculation from the hip is that I can put 300 lbs of stuff up there, and the admiral and me and be at max for winds up to 20.

Now, most of the stuff I'll put up there will be light and bulk. Paper products, towels, clothes, cereals, pasta, filters, etc.

OldDan,

Good point, but getting that info is impossible unless you figure it out yourself. You have to figure out the center of gravity, the center of buoyancy, and know the moment of the position of the items you're adding. Just the first two are, at best, a guess, unless one has extremely accurate drawings.

So, we can experiment at bit. Load the boat up with different weights and somehow measure how it tips. Also, not easy.

It's a lot like aircraft stability (weight and balance, which I'm an expert), but you add the dimension of rolling and it really messes things up.

...... so, for me, I'm going to figure that putting stuff on the fly bridge has an arm of 8 ft more than putting it in the salon. For "me" I wouldn't want more than 800 pounds up there with any significant wind (~20 kts). I will already have 150 lbs of kayaks and windsurfing stuff so in bigh winds, I'll be down below.

So, my best calculation from the hip is that I can put 300 lbs of stuff up there, and the admiral and me and be at max for winds up to 20.

Now, most of the stuff I'll put up there will be light and bulk. Paper products, towels, clothes, cereals, pasta, filters, etc.

Theory and reality are at times, not related.
The time you really need stability is during rough weather and water.

Just to throw in a little real world experience, since we have the same boat...or at least I think we do, mine is twins which perhaps has more weight in the bilge?

I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in the motion of the boat with my family of four people, plus our 90 lb dog, on the FB as compared to the 5 of us down below. All together we weigh 630 lbs. I don't keep too much up there, a couple of paddle boards, some spares in plastic tubs, PFDs, a little fishing tackle. Maybe 800 lbs, including people, probably less.

I've heard a few 390 owners say the 400 rolls more than the 390 because of the bigger FB, but I haven't found that to be the case.

I know our Mainship rolls A LOT less than our old 36 Gulfstar. That boat would roll the peanut butter out of the jar.

I'd be interested to see what your calculations say and what you find out in testing.

Just to throw in a little real world experience, since we have the same boat...or at least I think we do, mine is twins which perhaps has more weight in the bilge?

I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in the motion of the boat with my family of four people, plus our 90 lb dog, on the FB as compared to the 5 of us down below. All together we weigh 630 lbs. I don't keep too much up there, a couple of paddle boards, some spares in plastic tubs, PFDs, a little fishing tackle. Maybe 800 lbs, including people, probably less.

I've heard a few 390 owners say the 400 rolls more than the 390 because of the bigger FB, but I haven't found that to be the case.

I know our Mainship rolls A LOT less than our old 36 Gulfstar. That boat would roll the peanut butter out of the jar.

I'd be interested to see what your calculations say and what you find out in testing.

It's not black or white!
As a sailor I have learned the more you load the mast, the more you have to compansate in the bulb or in the lower part of the hull.
It's not a question what is to much for your boat, you do want to be far from the tiping point as you possible can. You can not predict the sea.
The more you load on the FB the more your boat rolls. Less load less rolls and more safety.

Boan

Back
Top Bottom